Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones not out of reach, says UFC 165 title challenger Alexander Gustafsson

Default Jon Jones not out of reach, says UFC 165 title challenger Alexander Gustafsson

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...der-gustafsson

In the buildup to next week's UFC 165, the promotion is selling title challenger Alexander Gustafsson as champ Jon Jones' physical equal, if not his combative one.

A promo for the event implies that Gustafsson's 6-foot-5 stature is key to his credibility as a light heavyweight contender.

What the clip doesn't reveal is the relative reach of Jones and Gustafsson, which isn't exactly a useless stat in breaking down the fight. Jones' wingspan is measured at 84.5 inches (the longest in the UFC), while Gustafsson's is 76.5. As with most of his fights, it appears the champ could eat a sandwich on one side of the octagon and jab and kick his foe on the other.

But that's if you believe everything you read on the Internet.

Gustafsson corrected MMAjunkie.com on the figure widely reported to be his reach.

"My reach is not 76.5," he said during a conference call in support of UFC 165, which takes place Sept. 21 at Air Canada Centre in Toronto. "It's 81.2. I just wanted to mention that."

But regardless of the rogue biographers within the UFC and on Wikipedia, Gustafsson isn't convinced that a reach disadvantage will play much of a part in the title fight, which headlines the event's pay-per-view card.

"It's not always about reach," he said. "It's about footwork. It's about being fast, getting in and out. I'm really making sure I've done my homework there. I'm super motivated."
    "I just believe that I use my reach better," he said. "If you watch my fights and you watch Alexander's fights, he gets hit a lot with a lot of different punches.

"With me, I've gone through some fights where fighters have only punched me once. I mean, I fought (Quinton) 'Rampage' Jackson, and he hit me, like, twice in the whole fight. Lyoto Machida was able to touch my face twice in the whole fight.

"(I'm) fighting against the best guys in the world, and a lot of them never even get a chance to punch me in the face throughout the fight. So I just believe I use my timing, my rhythm, my distance a lot better than him. I think the proof is in the pudding."

Unfortunately he is right. And as much as I dislike Jones, and I think he will easily dominate Gustafsson.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Now that he's fighting Jones he's gonna claim his reach has been wrong all along. Ufc will do anything to sell a fight, like when they said Carwin was bigger than brock lol.

The reaches always change for some reason. When Okami fought Silva his reach was listed as 72 inches and when he fought Souza it was suddenly 75.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Maybe he hit a late growth spurt....

Jones by 1st or 2nd round TKO.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    The reaches always change for some reason. When Okami fought Silva his reach was listed as 72 inches and when he fought Souza it was suddenly 75.

Bones is right, but for the wrong reasons. In my opinion, he credits his striking prowess too much, his reach combined with his wrestling keep his opponents at bay, and make his striking look better than it is.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

I actually don't think this fight will stay standing for long. Whether or not Jones can visibly enjoy a reach advantage over Gus remains to be seen, but I think Jones will want to exploit his wrestling advantage and work his elbows in top position. I don't think Gus will pose any great danger from there and long enough in that position and I see Gus wilting under the pressure, probably after a nice cut opens up.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I actually don't think this fight will stay standing for long. Whether or not Jones can visibly enjoy a reach advantage over Gus remains to be seen, but I think Jones will want to exploit his wrestling advantage and work his elbows in top position. I don't think Gus will pose any great danger from there and long enough in that position and I see Gus wilting under the pressure, probably after a nice cut opens up.
    I'll go out on a limb and say that Gus triangle chokes JBJ.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

9. Default

To me Jones uses his kicks than his punches to make his reach look so good. I don't think Jones is a great striker, but uses everything and avoids getting hit very well. I was really impressed with the way he tossed Sonnen around, and the use of his elbows.

Alexander Gustafsson 'not a fan' of Jon Jones, calls UFC 165 opponent 'little brat in adult body'
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/11/47...es-ufc-165-mma

Following a joint media stop in "The Mauler's" home country of Sweden, "Bones" expressed how there was no real heat between the two. Or so he thought. Based on a recent interview with Kimura.se, the towering Swede painted a very different picture.

"He's a little brat in an adult's body. A very immature boy in a grown man's body. It is Jones. It's like you give a shit kid everything. Why do you not speak up, you just say 'yes, yes,' everything that a kid asks for. Since there are no limits, it is all haywire. No, his behavior then ... No, I'm not a fan of it, if I may say so."

Damn, those are some fighting words.

It will be interesting to see if comments like these make the incumbent 205-pound champion change his tune about Gustafsson going forward. So, is this anger or disdain something that the challenger will use to his advantage come Sep. 21?

Not if he can help it.

"I am a professional and have great respect for Jones as a fighter. There are not many who can do what he has done and he deserves all the respect. But as a person, as a role model, I'm really not a fan, I try not to have feelings when I go off, whether good or bad. You should never fight with emotions, then you lose focus and then you lose. I will win. There's nothing else for me. I will not go match against Jones with the attitude of 'I'll make a good match.' I will win, it's that simple."

Thread Information