Thread: Jones: Silva and I at completely different places

Default Jones: Silva and I at completely different places

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ferent-places/

"I absolutely know that I am not unbeatable. There is no one that is unbeatable. I don't compare myself to Anderson Silva and the fight that he lost, it has nothing to do with me"

The Light Heavyweight champion (18-1) continued, explaining how the two are at completely different points in their respective MMA careers:

"Silva has been in the game for a long time and maybe he's at the end of his career, but I just turned 26 years-old -- [have] no injuries -- I am at the very beginning of my career. We are at completely different stages as far as drive and motivation."

Not wanting to call Silva's drive and determination into question, Jones caught himself and quickly clarified what he really meant to eliminate possible misinterpretation.

His take:

"I can't say drive or motivation, but we are at completely different levels in where we are at. He's been doing this for so long and I am just getting started."

Nice respect and all, but speak up and say you think you'd beat him unless you really don't Jones. I actually think Jones could dominate this one. I still want to see this fight but I think it's another best vs the best we will miss out on.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Nice respect and all, but speak up and say you think you'd beat him unless you really don't Jones. I actually think Jones could dominate this one. I still want to see this fight but I think it's another best vs the best we will miss out on.
    Well if he did that, people would come to this thread and say thing along the lines of "what a cocky douche" and "Jon Jones is no Anderson Silva, i cant believe he would say such a crazy thing like that...what a piece of shit" and everything else that comes along with a Jon Jones interview.

Jones cant win when it comes to interviews, remember when he said he wanted to possibly try acting - yeah search that thread on here and see the hate he got.

4. Default

If theres a callout it needs to be the lighter weight fighter doing it. Silva looked like crap calling out GSP, but if he really wanted put his loss past him beating Jones would do more the beating Chris numerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Well if he did that, people would come to this thread and say thing along the lines of "what a cocky douche" and "Jon Jones is no Anderson Silva, i cant believe he would say such a crazy thing like that...what a piece of shit" and everything else that comes along with a Jon Jones interview.

Jones cant win when it comes to interviews, remember when he said he wanted to possibly try acting - yeah search that thread on here and see the hate he got.
    Why are you refuting arguments that have never happened? And I remember the acting thread; a lot of folks pointing out that he doesn't have the charisma, some saying that if he still defends his title they don't care, others saying that no fighters have proven to be good actors, etc. It really wasn't that bad, let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Modesty is a virtue. Arrogance is not.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post

Silva is/was arguably the greatest of all time, has cemented his status, and has fought at LHW. GSP has only fought at WW for any significant fights. In my mind, GSP was never considered a "best of all time". A "best WW" but I never thought of him as the likes of Fedor, Silva, or Jones. Jones has every right to be confident and isn't called out for that. Hell, he very well can be cocky...some [I]may [I] call him out for that. He is definitely called out for being a douche because that's what his personality is. Most people just call a spade a spade. He is an awesome fighter, one of the best ever without a doubt. He has an awkward personality and would be as good an actor as Goldie would be a fighter. You saw the Bud Light commerical.

Anyway, my original point in this thread was that these are the two most dynamic/dominant fighters in the world at the moment. That moment is changing. I want to see them fight. I want to see them challenge each other. Even with Wiedman knocking Silva for a loop. The two most dynamic/dominant (notice those two words stay together) fighters out there are still Silva and Jones. Time is ticking, let's do this.

Jones: “Anderson superfight is still on for 2014”
    http://www.fightersonlymag.com/conte...ll-on-for-2014

“Watching UFC 162 (when Anderson was KO’d inside five minutes) was crazy,” he recalls to FO. “Just sitting there and registering something like that is mind blowing. To see a great champion and an entire legacy just end like that, it was humbling. It lets you know that it can happen to anyone. You’ve got to take everything and everyone seriously and you’ve got to respect the sport.

“But at the same time I still believe Anderson can come back. He’s still has it and he just got caught basically.”

Prior to being knocked out, Anderson was being mooted as a future opponent for Jones, in a superfight likely to draw in big crowds and even bigger PPV numbers across the Atlantic. And, whilst not overly keen to fight the middleweight great, Jones admits that it could still happen in 2014.

“All Anderson has to do is win his next fight (Weidman rematch, UFC 168) decisively and there’s the interest right there. It’s still on, the superfight,” he says. “I’ve never really been overly anxious to face Anderson Silva though to be honest. I knew the fight could happen but I never had any desire to be the one to beat him or anything like that.

“After he lost I Tweeted about my disappointment and that him losing sucked, but it was just because watching a champion lose always sucks. It’s like he’s also a member of this special league of gentlemen and when you see one of the guys get taken down it sucks. But Anderson, and any thought of a superfight, well, it’s still there.”

Yet regardless of what happens in the division below in December, first Jones must overcome his latest obstacle and Gustafsson, the legit number one contender at 205lb, is brimming with confidence. And Jones admits, he’s excited by the challenge ahead – and that opportunity to break Tito Ortiz’s long-standing five-defence light heavyweight title reign.

He says: “This fight really excites me. It’s for the record. It’s very rare to have the opportunity to be the number one at something. I’m already the champion, but to be the greatest light heavyweight statistically doesn’t come around too often. So this fight is very important for me.”

He adds: “I believe every champion should push themselves, and put a lot of pressure on themselves. You should be out there striving for greatness. I’m the CEO of Team Bones Jones. In fact, I’m the CEO, the president and the spokesperson for Team Bones Jones and I know I have to be at the top of my game to do something really special so, yeah… that’s how my mind works.”

As for his preparation, well, the world press tour certainly didn’t help, as both fighters only went into full camp with seven weeks to go, but Jones is happy he’ll be firing on all cylinders come show time and insists he never made too many changes to his usual preparation.

“The press tour, of course, made an impact on my preparations but I’m where I need to be now. I’m ready for this fight,” he stats. “We made plenty of small changes to cater for what he brings to the fight, but nothing substantial. No camps are ever the same, but there wasn’t an overhaul of my training simply because he’s tall. The distancing and timing will come as the fight nears, but I try not to overthink any fight or any opponent.

“The press tour was arduous but different, and I mean that in a good way. I got to know him, got to see how he acts, got to see little things like when he’s comfortable and stuff. When you see someone a lot it’s easier to visualize yourself being in front of him.

“I’ve faced off with him like 12 times already, so I know where my nose lines up with his nose. Alexander is tall, he has a presence. So I choose to look him in the eyes to let him know that I’m here, I’m the same height, I embrace us being the same height, and I want to let him know there’s only room for one tall guy in there.”

“I actually like the guy; he’s cool. I think we’d actually be friends if we weren’t fighting one another.”

9. 09-15-2013, 01:23 PM

10. Default

He adds: “I believe every champion should push themselves, and put a lot of pressure on themselves. You should be out there striving for greatness. I’m the CEO of Team Bones Jones. In fact, I’m the CEO, the president and the spokesperson for Team Bones Jones and I know I have to be at the top of my game to do something really special so, yeah… that’s how my mind works.”
    Bigest mistake I see for Jones is where he said he is CEO and the biggest was spokes person for team Jones. Much more qualified people to do that job for sure to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Wait, a couple years back, were they not saying they were good friends?
    Isn't that particular quote in reference to Gustafsson?

In any event, I'm looking forward to this fight just to see if The Mauler can bring something that can catch Jones off guard.

Thread Information