Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankie Edgar, B.J. Penn selected as 'TUF 19' coaches, will meet at 145 pounds

Default Frankie Edgar, B.J. Penn selected as 'TUF 19' coaches, will meet at 145 pounds

The UFC's pound-for-pound king of rematches will takes part in another career trilogy.

UFC officials today announced that former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar will face for a third time former dual-division title holder B.J. Penn in a featherweight showdown.

The matchup, which was revealed on Wednesday's new edition of "UFC Tonight," is scheduled to take place after the two serve as coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter 19," which debuts in January. Edgar and Penn are expected to fight at an as-yet-undetermined event in April.

Edgar and Penn (16-9-2 MMA, 12-5-1 UFC) met twice in 2010, with "The Answer" victorious over "The Prodigy" in both contests. At UFC 112, Edgar claimed the UFC lightweight title. He then defended the belt four months later at UFC 118. Both results came via unanimous decision.

UFC President Dana White said he booked the fight after Penn informed him he had a burning to desire to avenge his two losses to Edgar.

"He says, 'I can beat Frankie Edgar,'" White said. "The two first fights were BS. I want that fight agin. I want to beat this guy so bad. It's all I want."

Edgar, of course, fought as a lightweight for the majority of his career. However, he made the drop to 145 pounds earlier this year for a failed bit to unseat champ Jose Aldo. In July, he bounced back with a win over Charles Oliveira.

Meanwhile, Penn is a former titleholder at both 170 and 155 pounds. However, the fight with Edgar would mark his first at featherweight.
    I'm a Penn fan but his cario at FW is a huge question for me.

If Penn can stay motivated and get his cardio right this would be a good move for him. I still don't see this going any other way than Frankie going 3-0 against BJ. Frankie's footwork, cardio, and BJ's lack thereof will be the difference yet again.
    Last edited by Fe1; 09-11-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

This is sad. BJ hasn't won a fight since 2010, and Frankie is a top 5 FW. Even if the first fight was controversial, there is no need to match these two up at this point. And BJ at 145? Yeah... I just don't feel good about this at all.

rob_bills Guest

This fight is terrible. Terrible matchmaking from the UFC, which as of late has been pretty shambolic. Who wants to see this fight?! Not to mention who wants to see them as TUF coaches? Bj was a pretty entertaining coach but Edgar has the personality of a chair.. and I'm a HUGE Edgar fan.

Waste of 2 potentially exciting match ups. This fight makes absolutely no sense.

What the hell does Frankie gain from this besides $$$?

The first 2 fights were fun, I imagine this one will be too. Personally, I like it. Edgar really isnt in the title picture right now coming off back to back title fight loses, BJ is a name and always fun to watch. I dont care if it makes sense or not it should be a damn good fight until Penn gets tired.

This won't end well

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jackie-chan-meme.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	600  

Waste of both their time. Penn is done, he's been done for awhile now. Frankie is still a top contender at fw or lw. This is gonna tie him up for no reason. Its not like they're 1-1 either.

I don't get it..

Penn couldn't even be bothered to make the cut to 155 for his last few fights now suddenly he wants to cut weight again and to top it off he's going even one weight class lower....

Frankie has nothing to gain here except a paycheque which he could have found elsewhere (ie fighting Faber)

They need to build up the 145 division fighters and could have used TUF to showcase some of the lesser known fighters... instead they picked guys the casual fans know already.

Why have a trilogy fight when one guy is up 2-0 it kind of pointless when there are a lot of other fights out there for both of them.

Thread Information