+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Frankie Edgar, B.J. Penn selected as 'TUF 19' coaches, will meet at 145 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I still dislike Edgar because he has the personality of a chair and fights like Clay Guida.
    I don't remember Frankie's footwork reminding me of Parkinson's.

i was kind of confused about this as well, but hearing dana talk about how b.j. was willing to fight bendo at 155 just to get another crack at frankie (at whatever weight), it made me feel a lil better. apparently b.j. really wants this fight and in reality, it should be 1-1 instead of frankie being 2 up (same w/ b.j. and gsp, but i digress).

the bottom line is money though. despite a majority on these boards being uninterested, i think the masses will tune in (myself included). they needed two worthy coaches for the next set of guys on tuf and i dont think anyone would disagree that these two are more than worthy.

with all that said...i'm interested.

Don't care about it making sense. Looking forward to it. I really hope that BJ just stays healthy and makes a safe cut down to 145. Sometimes, things aren't supposed to make sense.
    You have to know what you don't know.

Terrible fight for BJ Penn, worst weight class for him is 145.. The weight cut will be way to much and he will gas after 2 rounds, Edgar Unanimous Decision again, Edgar is just too damn fast and improved for BJ Penn..especially at 145, Edgar's natural weight class.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

I still dislike Edgar because he has the personality of a chair and fights like Clay Guida.
    Not quite, he's a Jersey boy so you don't know his personality, and he fights like a warrior, and is a beast.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

It's always speculation until the fight comes, which is all we have for the most part. BJ Penn was/is an immensely talented fighter, and when he was the lightweight champion he was one of the best fighters in the world. But time catches up to everyone, and with his time away from the octagon he has to be declining. Maybe it would be less of a decline if he's kept his skills sharp by training almost every day, but even then I think he loses a step. But I don't know a damn thing when it comes to this.

It'll be interesting to see him try to make weight though.

I'll just remember the glory days when the talent disparity between BJ and tough, tested champions like Hughes (and to some extent Sherk) was laughable. He would just murder anyone he stepped in the cage with, then, (and he mentioned this himself), his wife had his child and BJ lost his will to hurt people.

Him being this driven in coming after this fight has me hopeful, but I'm not going to put much emotional investment in it, at least not yet. I'd love to see him fight like he did against Florian and Sanchez more than anything this side of my own castle in the rockies... and as a fight fan, the intrigue is there.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by carbondioxide830 View Post
    i was kind of confused about this as well, but hearing dana talk about how b.j. was willing to fight bendo at 155 just to get another crack at frankie (at whatever weight), it made me feel a lil better. apparently b.j. really wants this fight and in reality, it should be 1-1 instead of frankie being 2 up (same w/ b.j. and gsp, but i digress).

the bottom line is money though. despite a majority on these boards being uninterested, i think the masses will tune in (myself included). they needed two worthy coaches for the next set of guys on tuf and i dont think anyone would disagree that these two are more than worthy.

with all that said...i'm interested.
    I just listened to the Google Hangout with Dana White where he talked about how this fight came about... Interesting, BJ wanting to fight Bendo to get a shot at Edgar but Dana instead just setting up Edgar BJ for TUF. Hard to see BJ being able to cut to 145 for this fight and if he does and beats Edgar, does he stay at 145? Lets just hope BJ is as hungry to fight as Dana claims he is...

Quote Originally Posted by Flynnja View Post
    I don't remember Frankie's footwork reminding me of Parkinson's.

I agree, except I have a chair with exceptional personality that is actually quite offended by your comparison. I'll post pictures if varification is required.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information