Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Frankie Edgar, B.J. Penn selected as 'TUF 19' coaches, will meet at 145 pounds

Comparisons have been drawn between Frankie Edgar and the fictional character Rocky. The only way that I agree with this is that he reminds me of Rocky from Balboa after he is old and punch-drunk.

not sure it has been pointed out, but BJ also signed a new deal with the UFC which inlcudes this fight - as per dana white on ufc tonight. So sounds like he will be around for more than just the edgar fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    not sure it has been pointed out, but BJ also signed a new deal with the UFC which inlcudes this fight - as per dana white on ufc tonight. So sounds like he will be around for more than just the edgar fight.
    BJ also signed a new deal with the UFC which inlcudes this fight - as per dana white on ufc tonight.
    BJ also signed a new deal with the UFC which inlcudes this fight

It's gonna be a work! Conspiracy's abound. Zuffa fixes fights. Don't you notice how the popular fighters always win because of judges and refs, man, it's like totally bullshit.

Last edited by Sniggles; 09-12-2013 at 06:51 PM.

I know its about a million to one that this happens. But if somehow bj can win this fight, i almost guarantee he would get a title shot. BJ always used to talk about being one of the greatest ever and if he won the title he might go down as one of if not the greatest ever. Of course none of this will happen, but i can dream lol

Oh, I know it's a big if. Honestly, I'm not counting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    How many times can we say IF...I mean it has not happened in a long time
    I don't think it's Bj's motivation that is the real issue, it is his preparation. He can train hard all he wants, were past that age of mma, he needs to start training smart. He needs proper game plans and proper training to prepare him for specific opponents. I remember when he was getting ready for the 2nd edgar fight and he said he was just doing the same things he did to prepare for the first fight, that was a big warning sign for what followed. He needs to ditch the "just scrap" mentality and fight smart. For frankie in particular, i think he needs to get his foot work on point and utilize his wrestling and awesome bjj. I know it is easier said than done, but when bj actually got desperate in their fight he got a few takedowns, albeit frankie got right back up, but if bj planned them out and set them up better, he could have made it a much tougher fight for edgar imo.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I don't think it's Bj's motivation that is the real issue, it is his preparation. He can train hard all he wants, were past that age of mma, he needs to start training smart. He needs proper game plans and proper training to prepare him for specific opponents. I remember when he was getting ready for the 2nd edgar fight and he said he was just doing the same things he did to prepare for the first fight, that was a big warning sign for what followed. He needs to ditch the "just scrap" mentality and fight smart. For frankie in particular, i think he needs to get his foot work on point and utilize his wrestling and awesome bjj. I know it is easier said than done, but when bj actually got desperate in their fight he got a few takedowns, albeit frankie got right back up, but if bj planned them out and set them up better, he could have made it a much tougher fight for edgar imo.
    He NEEDS a camp that isn't full of yes men.

White: BJ Penn is fighting some demons right now
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ons-right-now/

"B.J. sends me a text that says, ‘Dana, I want to fight Ben Henderson,'" related White. "So I immediately pick up my phone and call him, and he doesn't answer. This was two days ago."

"B.J. calls me 45 minutes later. He's like, ‘Hey Dana, I didn't answer your phone call because I don't want you to talk me out of this. I know how you are. I know what you're going to say, and you're going to talk me out of it.' I was like, you're damn right I'm going to talk you out of it. He says, ‘The reason I want to fight Ben Henderson is because I believe if I beat Ben Henderson, you'll give me a shot to fight Frankie Edgar.' I'm like, ‘Frankie Edgar?' And he goes, ‘Yeah, I want this Frankie Edgar fight worse than anything. Those two losses are a rock in my shoe. He should've never beat me. That guy can't beat me.'"

"B.J. is one of these guys who, I think, is fighting some demons right now, in that, if he could go back and do it all over again, I think he'd do it differently."

"I'll tell you again. B.J. Penn is a legend. He's been here since the day we bought the company. Me and B.J. have had our times when we butted heads on many things. If he wants it, I'm going to give it to him."

Fighting demons?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Thread Information