Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Frankie Edgar, B.J. Penn selected as 'TUF 19' coaches, will meet at 145 pounds

Meltzer has been saying that Mark Coleman has been stealing the show on this TUF season as one of BJ's coaches and is friggin hilarious.

Coleman also got into it a bit with Bisping at UFC 167 I believe, with Coleman saying something about Bisping's eye looking like a ______ and Bisping calling Coleman a washed-up juicer. Dunno if anybody has talked about it here, but the story is pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    i dont see how the Penn situation is anything close to the Chuck situation. Its not like BJ is getting KTFO when he sneezes like Liddell was towards the end of his career. Has BJ been beat up in his last couple fights? Sure, but the same can now be said about GSP in his last couple fights and you dont see dana saying anything about forcing GSP out.

If BJ still has fights on his contract a promoter shouldnt be allowed to stop a person from making a living.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I dont think it had to do with Dana thinking BJ lost his chin.

BJ would be left with little options to remain competitive if he loses this fight to Edgar at 145. BJ would not be making a title run at 145, 155 or 170 at any time in the near future so it would be hard to justify the cost to the UFC, the degradation of BJ legacy or the health risks for a guaranteed HOF'er. Lets not forget, BJ has taken some beating in the recent years also.
    I think Liddell, BJ and GSP all belong in separate categories. Liddell got viciously knocked out in his last 3 fights and clearly didn't have the same chin he used to have. BJ has yet to be dropped in any of his fights (showing that he still has a strong chin) but he has been taking beatings (3rd round versus Fitch, 2nd and 3rd round versus Diaz, and all 3 rounds versus Rory) that he wouldn't have been taking previously. GSP, on the other hand, is getting beat up more than he used to but he is still winning, is the champ and in the top 3 p4p. Aside from GSP's last fight, he dominated all of his previous fights regardless of how his face looked.

I agree that Dana has no right to force retirement on a person and it should be a fighter and his/her team's decision. However, if Dana/Zuffa thinks that BJ, Liddell or anyone else isn't the fighter they were, they can rightfully release them from their contract. The whole phrasing of "X fighter should retire" is stops the fighter from fighting in the UFC AND doesn't allow them to fight elsewhere (if they chose to), as to the best of my knowledge, retirement freezes a contract and doesn't nullify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Meltzer has been saying that Mark Coleman has been stealing the show on this TUF season as one of BJ's coaches and is friggin hilarious.

Coleman also got into it a bit with Bisping at UFC 167 I believe, with Coleman saying something about Bisping's eye looking like a ______ and Bisping calling Coleman a washed-up juicer. Dunno if anybody has talked about it here, but the story is pretty funny.
    Thats pretty funny. Hadn't heard anything about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Thats pretty funny. Hadn't heard anything about that.
    No shit, pretty sure the insult Coleman hurled was Deadwood-esque, calling Bisping "C-nt eye".

Meltzer was there for it and talked about it on his radio show last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    BJ has yet to be dropped in any of his fights (showing that he still has a strong chin) but he has been taking beatings (3rd round versus Fitch, 2nd and 3rd round versus Diaz, and all 3 rounds versus Rory) that he wouldn't have been taking previously...
    ...all three of which have something like 8+ inches of height/reach advantage over him.

...which is really why I don't want to see Georges move up to MW in the twilight of his career.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

In no way can BJ be compared to Liddell. BJ has still never been knocked down, despite eating Roy Nelson levels of punishment his last two fights. Liddell was knocked out 4 of his last 5 fights, typically in horrific fashion.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Yes.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

I have ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Zero interest in this fight.

Frankie Edgar is the only reason B.J. Penn is fighting at 145 pounds
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/5/26...-at-145-pounds
    "If Dana had asked me to come to 145, and fight any other people, there's no way I would have done it," said Penn, who meets Edgar for the third time on July 6 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in The Ultimate Fighter's coaches fight.

But as the future Hall of Famer's career winds down, his 2010 losses to Edgar; with Edgar winning the title in April and retaining in August, clearly still eats at him. Penn's two-year lightweight title reign was so dominant, that there was some discussion as to whether he belonged atop the pound-for-pound rankings before Edgar came along.

"I had a good run going at 155," Penn said. "Frankie came in, and one thing about Frankie, he's one of the best in the UFC. Getting the opportunity to coach against him, I realized he's one of the most competitive people. He's not one of those ‘I'm mad at you now and I want to kick everybody's butt. He's just a really competitive person and I think that's going to help me. I've got a very familiar opponent standing on the other side."

After Penn lost in a one-sided welterweight fight to Rory MacDonald in Dec. 2102, many speculated it was time for Penn to retire.

Penn, for his part, won't commit to anything beyond the Edgar fight. But that won't stop him from discussing his legacy.

"I want everyone to know that I always gave it the best shot I had, whether it went that way my night," Penn said. "Fighting is my whole life, the UFC is my whole life. Dana and the UFC gave me the opportunity and I always gave the best I could give."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

10. Default

I disagree BJ always gave the best he could give. Meaning his prep work could of been better, but agree he gave his best from his prep work.

Thread Information