+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glover Teixeira would fight another contender if Jones and Gustafsson rematch

Default Glover Teixeira would fight another contender if Jones and Gustafsson rematch

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...afsson-rematch

Speaking today to MMAjunkie.com Radio, Teixeira (22-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC), who knocked out Ryan Bader earlier on Aug. 28 at UFC Fight Night 28, believes Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) will beat title challenger Alexander Gustafsson (14-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) in next week's UFC 165 main event.

"I believe Jon is going to win this fight," Teixeira said. "I hope he wins. I think he's going to win on the ground. I believe Gustafsson's a great standup fighter, and I think Jon is smart enough and a better wrestler to take him down and beat him on the ground. I don't know how.

"It might be ground and pound, or maybe a submission, but I don't think this fight is going to go five rounds."

Teixeira knows a thing or two about quick finishes. Since debuting in the UFC in May 2012, he's gone to the scorecards only once in five fights, and just four times overall in his pro career.

His penchant for action-packed fights nearly cost him against Bader, who knocked him down early in their fight and appeared close to earning a finish. In a come-from-behind push, Teixeira caught "The Ultimate Fighter 8" winner with a counter and got the TKO win.

Afterward, the Brazilian fighter, who was unable to fight in the U.S. for several years because of visa troubles, vented about his performance.

"When you fight the way you want to fight, and you get caught with a punch and get knocked out, it's OK," Teixeira said. "But I wasn't fighting my way. I wasn't moving my head right, and I was waiting too much. That day, I started waiting too much, and I got punched before I started punching. So that's why was I was (upset). It's not about getting knocked down. It's about doing something wrong.

"I'm over it. I'm happy, and I've just got to realize I made a mistake, and it's not going to happen again."

And in any event, the performance, which headlined the night's FOX Sports 1 broadcast in Brazil, was enough for the UFC to award Teixeira the next title shot against the winner of Jones vs. Gustafsson. Although Teixeira anticipates he'll be fighting Jones, he said he would be open to fighting a top contender if Gustafsson were to pull off the upset and force an immediate rematch.

"I want to stay busy," Teixeira said. "I want to fight [Jones]. He's the bigger name, and he's been champion for a while. If Gustafsson beats this guy, I'll be happy for him, too, as long as I get to fight him. Or if they have a rematch, I'd like to fight some top contender and keep myself busy. I'm healthy, and I can't be losing time."

But he said he had a smile on his face when he was asked about the possibility of fighting Jones in February at the UFC's annual Super Bowl weekend event, which is expected to take place in New Jersey rather than Las Vegas. Jones hails from nearby New York.

"I think that's a great thing, and I hope you're right," Teixeira said of the potential timeline for his title shot.

What a trooper. Maybe if he has to fight someone else it'll shut up some of his critics.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Most want to see how he fairs against an elite wrestler whom doesn't believe their a boxer.

If he cant fight Goose/Jones next I would enjoy watching him slap Davis around.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    Most want to see how he fairs against an elite wrestler whom doesn't believe their a boxer.

If he cant fight Goose/Jones next I would enjoy watching him slap Davis around.
    This.

I'd like to see him face a Rashad, Davis, or even Sonnen. Hell I'd probably take Bader in a rematch. This is just like the case of Gus. Get him to Jones without letting him get wrestled by somebody else again so Jones can do it and further establish his dominance.

Glover got tagged in the Maldonado, Rampage, and Bader fight. Its no surprise he got rocked. Luckily Jones has no power but he'd still take him down and get a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    What a trooper. Maybe if he has to fight someone else it'll shut up some of his critics.

Someone in the top 10 would be nice

Goose isn't going to win or go the distance. I would love to see it though.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Goose isn't going to win or go the distance. I would love to see it though.
    If does manage to finish Jones, it's going to be dismissed as a fluke immediately, and--even if he doesn't win a single round--Jones has totes earned an immediate rematch. totes.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Scrap DC and Nelson and tell Dan he has 2 months to make 205 and put him vs Glover.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    If does manage to finish Jones, it's going to be dismissed as a fluke immediately, and--even if he doesn't win a single round--Jones has totes earned an immediate rematch. totes.

rh
    totes?

Quote Originally Posted by Spain215 View Post
    Scrap DC and Nelson and tell Dan he has 2 months to make 205 and put him vs Glover.
    Fuck, that might kill him

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    totes?
    He's been doing it ironically. Or maybe he's been doing it seriously and having us THINK he's doing it ironically which in reality would be pretty ironic in and of itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information