Thread: Knees and Kicks to a Downed Fighter Rule Reinterpreted by ACs and refs

Default Knees and Kicks to a Downed Fighter Rule Reinterpreted by ACs and refs

http://www.mmaweekly.com/knees-and-k...s-and-referees

Vice President of Regulatory Affairs and former Executive Director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission Marc Ratner appeared on a recent edition of UFC Tonight on Wednesday and explained the new interpretation of what is a foul and what isn’t in regards to kneeing and kicking a “downed” fighter.

The Unified Rules of mixed martial arts describes a “downed” fighter as a fighter who has more than just the soles of their feet on the ground.

The Association of Boxing Commissions website defines a downed fighter as, “A grounded opponent is any fighter who has more than just the soles of their feet on the ground. (i.e. could have one shin or one finger down to be considered a downed fighter) If the referee determines that a fighter would be a grounded fighter, but is not solely because the ring ropes or cage fence has held fighter from the ground, the referee can instruct the combatants that he is treating the fighter held up solely by the cage or ropes as a grounded fighter.”

The wording of the rule and the rule’s intent has not changed, but the way the rule is interpreted and enforced has.

“The rule is really the same,” said Ratner. “The interpretation that we’ve come up with, with the Association of Boxing Commissions, which should be called the Association of Combat Commissions – they should change that – but the spirit of the rule has been violated by a lot of fighters.

“Obviously if you’re downed and you have a hand on the deck, and you have three points there and you get kicked or kneed, that’s a foul,” he said. “But we have fighters now who are putting their hand down, bringing it up, putting it back down again.

“I call it, if you’re talking basketball, trying to draw the foul. They’re hoping that the referee will see it and call a foul and maybe disqualify the other guy,” added Ratner. “So we’re telling the referees before the fights, go into the dressing rooms and say, ‘look, if you do this you’re doing it at your own peril and in my judgment as a referee, if you’re doing it, I’m going to call it legal.’”

It is now up to the referee’s discretion whether or not a kick or knee to a “downed” fighter is illegal.

“It’s a judgment call,” said Ratner.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I like the judgement allowing the refs to judge it as they see it. Too many time you see fighters just touching the ground and the opponent have to time the knees and kicks as the other guy goes back and forth in his three point stance. its ridiculous as then he can throw knees as he/she sees fit. kinda like when a fighter keeps turning his head to draw the hitting in the back of the head rule.

that being said..It happens to fast for fighters and refs alike to make those calls in a blink of an eye. so they err on the side of caution for the fighters sake. so now fighters know this and abuse it. Im not saying they all do it but when a fighter comes out in the three point stance and the commentators tell us why hes doing it it classless. not stragety. To me...he's not a downed fighter. he/she is playing the system.

MY TWO CENTS. please remember this is my opinion and opinions are neither right or wrong.. just opinions.

my two cents.
    Favorite fighters:
    HW- Mir, Brock, Fedor, Cain
    LHW-Shogun, Tito, Mousasi. Rampage
    MW-Hendo, Sonnen, Mayhem M
    WW-GSP, C Condit>Nick diaz, Fitch wonderboy?
    LW-Penn, Edgar, Cerrone, pettis
    FW-Aldo, Homenik,

Fighters I LOATH 1-BISPING

At least they should allow soccer kicks to the body.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    At least they should allow soccer kicks to the body.
    I thought they do, just not stomps.

Then why they never ever use soccer kicks to the body?

Bottom fighter usually butt scoots to be 90 degrees to avoid it as well as to utilize upkicks.

Soccer kicks to the body are indeed legal.

There have been tons of situations where the fighter could very easily give a soccer kick to the body. It actually also surprises me how little they use the knees to the body to a grounded opponent. It really can do a lot of damage and for some reason they prefer to do other stuff that in most of cases seems not as effective as a knee.

It's hard to hit a grounded opponent's body with a shin bone, if they try and kick them in the body it will most likely connect with the foot, which can hurt themselves. It is different with a head because it is usually a little off the mat, so they can get that shin contact, but there also isn't as much mass compared to the body, so their feet won't get as damaged by kicking the other guys jaw, if it does connect.

Thread Information