Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach: Weidman was near bankrupt and homeless before winning title

Default Coach: Weidman was near bankrupt and homeless before winning title

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...winning-title/

MMAFighting's Chuck Mindenhall wrote a tremendous piece on what life is like now for UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, and what it was like before dethroning Anderson Silva.

"He was essentially homeless," his grappling coach John Danaher says. "He was financially completely bankrupt. I remember I had to lend Chris thousands of dollars out of my own pocket just to keep him solvent while heís preparing to fight Silva. And his life was essentially in chaos. One day when people know the full story of what happened, Iím not kidding when I say this, itís like a goddamn Hollywood movie. Itís Rocky Balboa. Itís insane."

"The guy had nine fights. Bankrupt. Homeless. With a completely broken shoulder. As far as Iím aware the only guy who came off of major surgery and won his next fight was Georges St-Pierre - and Georges had more than twice the amount of healing time that Chris did. He got a full year and a half off. Chris had six months."

Weidman himself talks about his hardships before his strong left hand changed his portfolio.

"Iíve never had anything. I just wanted to one day live comfortable. Like, be able to go out to lunch with my friends without being like, crap, I donít know if I can afford this bill right now. I shouldnít be doing this. Thatís all I really wanted. And because of the UFC and where Iím at now? I donít have to worry about."

"Iím fortunate. I never thought Iíd be in this position. Itís amazing to be here. Even though everything I was going through with Sandy and financially, it still wasnít the worst spot I grew up in my life. When I was coaching at Hofstra, I had a lot less money. I grew up with a lot less."

2. Default

Hopefully he isn't one and done.

I'm happy for him.
    Last edited by Qball1974; 09-14-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Better have gotten compensated well because Silva's taking his belt back!

Glad to hear Weidman is doing well. I'd like to hear that others who lost their homes during Sandy are doing well too though. Any time families are displaced due to almost any reason, it's heartbreaking.

Another proof that unless you love MMA so damn much, you should have also another job.
    Being a Top UFC fighter and being almost homeless?? That sucks!
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

personally I hear about these kinds of stories and then I hear about Dana White blowing millions at the blackjack table. I know it's a free country and he doesn't have to give a shit, but I couldn't sleep at night if I had an employee who lost everything to Sandy and I was in a position to help out. Yeah you can't help everybody, but you can help a few people.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Didnt Weidman's house get jacked up in the floods last year? I am sure that had a big financial hit.

I think were not hearing the entire story, his house did get flooded,so of course he is going to be "homeless" but I don't believe after nine fights, nine wins he was broke, an if so,then he should budget better. Not to mention the UFC paid a portion of his medical bills,and Dana has been well known to give fighters financial help when they need it. I just don't believe this 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Weidman's (reported, UFC) payouts:

June 2011: 20k + 70k SOTN
    Nov 2011: 24k
    Jan 2012: ?
    July 2012: 44k + 40k KOTN

Can't imagine that he was actually on board to be homeless.

Thread Information