http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...winning-title/

MMAFighting's Chuck Mindenhall wrote a tremendous piece on what life is like now for UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, and what it was like before dethroning Anderson Silva.

"He was essentially homeless," his grappling coach John Danaher says. "He was financially completely bankrupt. I remember I had to lend Chris thousands of dollars out of my own pocket just to keep him solvent while heís preparing to fight Silva. And his life was essentially in chaos. One day when people know the full story of what happened, Iím not kidding when I say this, itís like a goddamn Hollywood movie. Itís Rocky Balboa. Itís insane."

"The guy had nine fights. Bankrupt. Homeless. With a completely broken shoulder. As far as Iím aware the only guy who came off of major surgery and won his next fight was Georges St-Pierre - and Georges had more than twice the amount of healing time that Chris did. He got a full year and a half off. Chris had six months."

Weidman himself talks about his hardships before his strong left hand changed his portfolio.

"Iíve never had anything. I just wanted to one day live comfortable. Like, be able to go out to lunch with my friends without being like, crap, I donít know if I can afford this bill right now. I shouldnít be doing this. Thatís all I really wanted. And because of the UFC and where Iím at now? I donít have to worry about."

"Iím fortunate. I never thought Iíd be in this position. Itís amazing to be here. Even though everything I was going through with Sandy and financially, it still wasnít the worst spot I grew up in my life. When I was coaching at Hofstra, I had a lot less money. I grew up with a lot less."