Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jose Aldo: Chad Mendes hasnít done enough to deserve rematch

Default Jose Aldo: Chad Mendes hasnít done enough to deserve rematch

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/15...nough-mma-news

"Iím not the one who decides that, but in my mind I believe Ricardo Lamas is the next in line," Aldo said. "He already earned his chance. If itís not him, I believe Cub Swanson should be the next option."

Ricardo Lamas has won four in a row in the UFC, including three finishes over Matt Grice, Erik Koch and Cub Swanson, but he hasnít fought since January.

Aldo wonít return until next year, as he expects to return to training Ď100 percent recoveredí in a month, but the champion believes the featherweight contender should sit and wait for his chance.

"If I were Lamas, I wouldnít fight anyone and just wait for my opportunity," he said. "He was supposed to fight me already but then (Anthony) Pettis got himself in the middle. Lamas should wait, this is his moment. But it they decide to do a rematch between Lamas and Swanson to see who fights me, thatís ok too."

Asked about Chad Mendes, who has knocked out four opponents since losing to Jose Aldo on 2012, the Brazilian said heís not quite there yet, despite the fact that he has finished the likes of Clay Guida and Darren Elkins.

"Chad Mendes is still starting, havenít fought anyone ranked yet, only fought guys that are not that good," he said. "Heís coming off good wins, but he hasnít beaten good guys. So I believe the next two should be Ricardo Lamas and Cub Swanson."

dimerules28 Guest

That's interesting. I think Lamas deserves his shot, but Mendes has the best chance of dethroning Aldo. How about Lamas fights Aldo, and Mendes vs Swanson for no.1 contender.

I don't think anyone should wait for Aldo, Lamas and Swanson should fight once more, maybe in a title eliminator, and so should Mendes. Set up winner or Lamas/Swanson to fight Aldo,and Mendes is next in line unless Aldo jumps divisions.

Edit: This kinda seems like Aldo doesnt want any part of Mendes, but who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

4 wins and 4 finishes. Not over the highest level of competition but it's still pretty impressive. Swanson has been impressive since coming to the UFC but Lamas has too and seeing as how Lamas already has a win over Cub in the UFC I'd be more inclined to give Lamas a title shot first and make Mendes vs. Swanson for the next shot in line.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Mendes has looked impressive since his brutal KO loss to Aldo, but indeed there are others that deserve more the title shot.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Why do I get the feeling that if BJ Penn beats Edgar, he'd be in line for a title shot?

Aside from Mendes rematching Swanson, if he doesn't get a title match, I can't think of anyone else. Maybe Nik Lentz?

Bj Penn is not beating Edgar at all.
    Penn will get absolutely dominated, even worse than against Diaz.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Zombie didn't deserve a title shot, yet he got one, from here out Lamas and Mendes have been tearing through the division, and either one has made a strong enough case.

If Aldo doesn't want to fight Mendes because they've already, have Lamas get the next shot, but those two have pulled far away from the rest of the pack.

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Bj Penn is not beating Edgar at all.
    Penn will get absolutely dominated, even worse than against Diaz.
    Its kind of a mystery since we've never even seen penn cut to 145. But i seriously doubt it will be worst then the Diaz fight. Edgar isnt exactly known for crushing opponents. He landed multiple over hand rights on Oliveira and he didn't look that beat up afterwards. I like Edgar and think he will beat Penn but dont think it will be as bad as you're saying. I could be completely wrong tho.

10. Default

4 consecutive wins, all 4 knockout finishes. Thats enough to earn a rematch. Aldo's next fight though? I think Lamas has the better case right now.

Thread Information