Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jose Aldo: Chad Mendes hasnít done enough to deserve rematch

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Zombie didn't deserve a title shot, yet he got one, from here out Lamas and Mendes have been tearing through the division, and either one has made a strong enough case.

If Aldo doesn't want to fight Mendes because they've already, have Lamas get the next shot, but those two have pulled far away from the rest of the pack.
    Lamas is clearly the #1 contender. As impressive as Mendes has been, I don't put him as the #2 in line for a title shot. I would put Swanson ahead of him. Sure Mendes has beaten Swanson but that was 3 years ago and in between that time Mendes already received his shot. Since Mendes' last loss, he has beaten Cody McKenzie, Yaotzin Meza, Darren Elkins, and Clay Guida, whereas since Swanson's last loss, Swanson has beaten George Roop, Ross Pearson, Charles Oliviera, Dustin Poirier and Dennis Siver. Easily, Swanson's wins have been against much stronger competition.

I have no doubt that Mendes is the better fighter compared to Swanson, but in terms of deserving a title shot, Swanson has done more.

I'm okay with Lamas fighting Aldo next and Mendes fighting Swanson again in the rematch though.

I actually with Aldo and feel like he was speaking like a fan or a fellow fighter, not a chosey champ (though I'm a mark).

Like the Doc said, Swanson's recent wins are far beyond those of Mendes' in terms of competition. And Lamas is clearly at the top of the pack. Really, the biggest shame to me is that Pettis messed things up once and has been aiming to do it again with a champion-versus-champion fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Zombie didn't deserve a title shot, yet he got one, from here out Lamas and Mendes have been tearing through the division, and either one has made a strong enough case.

If Aldo doesn't want to fight Mendes because they've already, have Lamas get the next shot, but those two have pulled far away from the rest of the pack.
    Zombie was worthy of a title shot. He was coming two finishes over guys that were top 5 at the time he fought them. Lamas and Swanson had passed him by the time Aldo was injured but he still deserved one.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. Thatís right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Lot of good points made so far. Lamas should absolutely get the next title shot. I think Swanson/Mendes for the next shot is the best way to go after that.

But oh yea, if BJ somehow makes it to 145, if he somehow beats Frankie, he'll have a date with Aldo. There's no way in hell the UFC doesn't do that fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Lamas is definitely first in line followed by Cub. I agree with the Doc.

Since it was brought up, if BJ beats Edgar decisively, I'd love to see him get a number one contender fight.

Wish we could see a prime BJ VS Aldo.

I agree with you guys, but I think Mendes is the guy to beat Aldo. Well him and Edgar, but that already happened.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

7. Default

A bit off topic too, but I would rather have seen Mendes fight Edgar if he is taking a fight before rematching Aldo then see Frankie and BJ fight YET AGAIN. I swear, it seems like Edgar has fought 3 different people in his entire ufc career now.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    A bit off topic too, but I would rather have seen Mendes fight Edgar if he is taking a fight before rematching Aldo then see Frankie and BJ fight YET AGAIN. I swear, it seems like Edgar has fought 3 different people in his entire ufc career now.
    You're pretty close

This will be Frankie's 16th UFC fight.

He's fought Gray Maynard 3 times
    Ben Henderson 2 times
    And BJ Pen now 3 times

Half of his UFC fights will have been against those 3 guys. That's crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by kalebarker View Post
    Zombie was worthy of a title shot. He was coming two finishes over guys that were top 5 at the time he fought them. Lamas and Swanson had passed him by the time Aldo was injured but he still deserved one.
    Zombie was coming off a year plus layoff, with wins over Poirier(not a top five at the time), Hominick(not the strongest top 5) and Garcia(not a top five). He was an immensely popular fighter, so when Pettis dropped out, they pushed him to the front of the line ahead of Lamas.

Thread Information