+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pettis vs Thomson at UFC on Fox 9

Default Pettis vs Thomson at UFC on Fox 9

http://www.ufc.com/news/anthony-pett...x-9-main-event

The main event for UFC Fight Night on FOX December 14 has been verbally agreed to as UFC lightweight world champion Anthony "Showtime" Pettis will defend his title against number-five ranked contender Josh "The Punk" Thomson.

Pettis recently reclaimed the belt from Benson Henderson, from whom he'd won the WEC lightweight title in 2010, via a first-round armbar that earned Submission of the Night honors. Thomson most recently earned a Knockout of the Night bonus for his highlight-reel finish of Nate Diaz. Neither Henderson nor Diaz had previously been stopped in their UFC careers.

Top-ranked TJ Grant, who'd been expected to challenge for the title at UFC 164 before being injured, tweeted an update on Monday night. "I am still not yet 100% and can't commit to fight," he wrote. "It sucks but it is the best for both myself and the UFC. Please don't worry. I'll be back."
    Good call Dr.

It sucks that Grant got injured, but this should be a great fight. Thompson is gonna have to bring his absolute best to beat Pettis. What ever the outcome, it should be an exciting match.

Gonna be a good fight, but it will be a landslide.

Pettis by whatever he wants
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I could actually see this going either way. Pretty disappointed that TJ isn't getting his shot but this is still going to be a sick fight.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I do not know how anyone thinks Pettis will walk through Thompson. He might win but this is be a barn burner. Thompson has always showed in the past that he is a gamer on the big stage. I am taking Pettis by razor thin split decision that most people will think Thompson won.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

People really sell Thomson short.

There's no way Pettis wins by whatever he wants or makes it a landslide. Josh's proven time in and time out that he can hang with top guys in the standup as well as on the ground.

What I'm interested in seeing is the speed difference in the cage. Thomson generally enjoys a distinct striking speed advantage and uses it pretty well. Pettis has as well. I think being first in this fight is key.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    People really sell Thomson short.

There's no way Pettis wins by whatever he wants or makes it a landslide. Josh's proven time in and time out that he can hang with top guys in the standup as well as on the ground.

What I'm interested in seeing is the speed difference in the cage. Thomson generally enjoys a distinct striking speed advantage and uses it pretty well. Pettis has as well. I think being first in this fight is key.
    This is what I don't get either. Josh has always been known to overtrain and get injured, and yet always shows up for a fight. He is a very smart fighter and I think he will surprise a lot of people against Pettis. Pettis has been such a stud lately, but I'm definitely rooting for Josh all the way.

Pettis takes this. FOTN.

Shitty thing for Pettis is, it will need to be placed on a stacked card as Thomson does not have the UFC hype behind him most challengers have.

Neither did TJ Grant.....
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information