Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Royce Gracie criticizes new generation of the family

Default Royce Gracie criticizes new generation of the family

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/16...-of-the-family

"Jiu-jitsu is enough," Royce Gracie told MMAFighting.com. "Iíve trained boxing in the past to learn the distance, trained wrestling to understand how he would take me down, but I wonít get there to fight my opponentís game. The (new) guys (from the Gracie) family want to complement their game, like if jiu-jitsu was incomplete. I guess they forgot a little about history."

Gregor and Rolles Gracie both lost at WSOF 5, and that dropped the family record to 3-4 in 2013. Over the past decades, Royce, Renzo and Rickson have racked up 32 wins in 44 bouts combined, a winning rate of 72.72 percent. Since 2000, however, that number has dropped to 58.82 percent with the familyís 60 wins in 102 fights.

"I do jiu-jitsu my whole life, so why would I try to stand and bang with Mike Tyson?," he said. "Iím going to learn boxing in six months because my opponent is good in boxing? That makes no sense."

Roger, Renzo and Rolles have fought recently in the UFC, and all of them lost their bouts inside the Octagon. Tim Kennedy was the last man to deliver a loss to a Gracie member in the UFC with a decision win over Roger Gracie last July.

Royce believes Roger Gracie, one of the best jiu-jitsu fighters of all times, needs to focus on what he does best.

"Roger, like any other member of the family, is trying to learn wrestling, boxing," he said. "I believe in pure jiu-jitsu. Thatís what Iíve done in the past. You have to go back to your roots and train Gracie jiu-jitsu."

"Tim Kennedy is one of the toughest guys in my opinion," he continued. "If Roger had defeated him, heíd have deserved a title shot. Tim Kennedy is really, really tough. Why they cut Roger I really donít know either, I have no idea.

The old-school Gracie mentality is just too stubborn. A one-dimensional fighter won't find anything beyond marginal success against modern competition. Royce must have forgotten about that whole Matt Hughes thing too...

Yes, Hoyce is right... like the kind of training he did for the Matt Hughes match... pure Gracie JJ... I bet that is the greatest example of how GJJ only for MMA works out...

Pretty much everything he said in this article was retarded. But THIS was the topping on the cake:
    If Roger had defeated him, he’d have deserved a title shot.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

I didn't watch the Tim Kennedy fight, but it does seem like some bs to cut him after just that loss. Was the fight that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I didn't watch the Tim Kennedy fight, but it does seem like some bs to cut him after just that loss. Was the fight that bad?
    I think it was another instance where the company did not feel the fighter, Roger Gracie, was worth his price tag. I assume that more was expected for his level of compensation.

LOL Someone tell Royce that we are in 2013 and not in 1995 anymore.
    Tell him that MMA even 10 years ago and MMA now are 2 whole different sports.

BJJ was enough when your opponents had no idea what to do in the ground so you could easily take them down and submit them.
    Now they all know how to defend takedowns and how to defend submissions.
    He is absolutely delusional if he thinks that being one dimensional is enough.

Damn, he himself realized back in 2006 that he was not in the 90s anymore.
    I do not understand how someone like him can say such stupid things.

It is like saying "I am a boxer, and I do not need to learn anything else. The fight begins standing, so I automatically have an advantage and I will KO anyone before they even try to take me to the ground".

And yeah, the comment about the title shot simply shows that Gracie has no any idea on what he is talking about.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

"Crawl atop me and meet your doom!"-Artie Ziff
    USA! USA! USA!

You have to be multi dimensional to be at the top but don't forget what brought you to the dance. Look at d Maia and his resurgence at 170. For some reason he thought he would become a striker. Now that he is back to doing what he does best, grappling, he is having success. Stupid though for him to think just Gracie JJ would be enough. Even at my bjj gym we have Wednesday as wrestling night where we have a former college wrestler come in and teach.

Yes obviously they should do what they can do best, but he is criticizing his own family for training other things and not only BJJ.

In 1994 you knew BJJ and it was more than enough, because the opponents were absolutely clueless about what was an armbar. They had some karate background and that was it. They had no any idea on how to defend a takedown, much less what to do in the ground.
    Back then, the sports was basically a battle between a Boxer vs a Judoka, or a Karateka vs a wrestler, or a street brawler vs a soldier.

But now, it is MMA fighter vs MMA fighter. They absolutely all train punches, kicks, takedowns, submissions, takedown defense, submission defense, strenght, cardio etc.

It is very retarded to say that you can just train one discipline and be successful in modern MMA.

Obviously they should use BJJ as their main weapon, but they should learn other things too.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information