Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White: Mir vs. Overeem is definitely do or die

Default White: Mir vs. Overeem is definitely do or die

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...ely-do-or-die/

Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir is on a three-fight losing streak, losing to a murderer's row of Junior dos Santos, Daniel Cormier and Josh Barnett.

Former K-1 heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem is a two-fight losing streak, by KO, to Antonio "Bigfoot" Silva and Travis Browne.

UFC President Dana White was asked in a media scrum on Thursday in Toronto, Ontario, Canada if the fight was "do or die."

"Yeah, definitely, definitely," said White.

Neither fighter comes cheap. Overeem made $285,714 in his loss to Bigfoot, while Mir made $200,000 for each of his last two losses.

Fuuuuuuck.
    I don't want to see either of them leave.
    The way I saw it when Reem first got signed was that he'd already have held the UFC belt by now. He totally fucked himself with that failed test against JDS.
    As for Mir. It just seems weird to think of him in a different organization or retired, because I still think he's one of the best. His chin is just starting to weaken a bit more now.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Too close to call this one but i will anyway.

Overeem will be to desperate and careful. A carefull Overeem is a scarey muafuka.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Too close to call this one but i will anyway.

Overeem will be to desperate and careful. A carefull Overeem is a scarey muafuka.
    Only if hes allowed to wear a helmet that covers his chin.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

"If" Overeem brings that early flurry he almost beat brown with then he will be ok. AO doesnt have much of a gas tank so if frank can weather the early storm AO will drop his hands and pay the price.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

I could see them cutting Overeem with a loss. But I doubt Frank Mir goes, he has done way too much for them to be cut. He might be pushed to retire but he will never be cut.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

I don't think either of them deserve to be cut if they lose this one. Both huge figures still fighting the very best of competition every fight. Mir especially has done a lot for the UFC and deserves to retire there if he chooses. I'm not a fan of either fighter much but neither should be cut.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

I can't see them cutting Mir but asking him to retire. Overeem yes but I don't agree with it. He hasn't been completely dominated or outclasses in his losses. He just gasses and gets himself caught. I wonder how he would approach a rematch with either guy if given the opportunity. Hes a solid fighter with a shitty gas tank

Cutting the standout figures is a dumb idea. If they keep losing they don't fight for contention of course, but why not keep these guys that people like to see fight. Adds great interest to weaker PPVs even if they're not fighting for title contention. Keeping them as "stepping stones" for up and comers works well and if the possible redemption comeback can turn into a nice story.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Only if hes allowed to wear a helmet that covers his chin.

H.
    I was more thinking, only if he doesnt show up with the T levels of an 11 year old girl.

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Cutting the standout figures is a dumb idea. If they keep losing they don't fight for contention of course, but why not keep these guys that people like to see fight. Adds great interest to weaker PPVs even if they're not fighting for title contention. Keeping them as "stepping stones" for up and comers works well and if the possible redemption comeback can turn into a nice story.
    "Stepping stone" fighters should not cost $200k per fight.

Thread Information