Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White: Mir vs. Overeem is definitely do or die

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    I was more thinking, only if he doesnt show up with the T levels of an 11 year old girl.

"Stepping stone" fighters should not cost $200k per fight.

Doubt they'd maintain their best fight purses, but if they help attract more viewers they're still worth more than little...

It's not smart business to pay a fighter $200k-300k each fight when they have no momentum behind them (0-5 combined in their most recent outings). Guys getting cut isn't just about rankings. It's about their performance compared to the return on the investment. Wonder why James Toney didn't get a second fight even though his only loss was to an immortal MMA legend? Not worth the money he's asking to try to sell his next fight coming off that performance.
    In the NFL, for example; when teams are making cuts at the end or preseason, you're more likely to see a solid starter get released if he's making $6mil a year but the team thinks he's worth $4mil, than you are to see his backup get released who's only making $500k.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    It's not smart business to pay a fighter $200k-300k each fight when they have no momentum behind them (0-5 combined in their most recent outings). Guys getting cut isn't just about rankings. It's about their performance compared to the return on the investment. Wonder why James Toney didn't get a second fight even though his only loss was to an immortal MMA legend? Not worth the money he's asking to try to sell his next fight coming off that performance.
    In the NFL, for example; when teams are making cuts at the end or preseason, you're more likely to see a solid starter get released if he's making $6mil a year but the team thinks he's worth $4mil, than you are to see his backup get released who's only making $500k.
    Cutting Mir would do more harm than good for the UFC. Bellator would sign him in a heart beat and Mir would be a much bigger signing than Rampage or Tito, as he is more well known and far more popular than either of them. So keeping him around and paying him is better than letting Bellator take him and getting money out of him.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

I think as soon as this match was booked we all knew it was a "you're fired" match. Mir is probably better off in the broadcast booth anyway. I still want to see 'Reem get wrecked by Dos Santos before he's done.

5. 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM

Reem is obviously the big favorite, but damn, he was also a huge favorite against BigFoot and Browne.

If Overeem loses for sure he will get cut. If Mir loses I am not sure that he will get fired. He has lost to Top 5 fighters and he has been a UFC fighter so many years.
    So maybe, they will give him one last chance.

If they fire him, Bellator will be so happy to announce their new HW superstar in their already super stacked HW division LOL
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I can't see them cutting either guy. I think Frank stays under contract and goes into the booth, and they'd be worried about another org picking up AO. I'd bet they'd try to restructure his contract--he may quit, like Werdum did--but I don't see them cutting him.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

bp
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    and they'd be worried about another org picking up AO.

rh
    Why they would be worried about that?
    AO may dominate everybody and become champion in Bellator or WSOF, but at the end no one will consider him a legit Top 5 fighter because everybody will remember how much he failed in the UFC.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    It's not smart business to pay a fighter $200k-300k each fight when they have no momentum behind them (0-5 combined in their most recent outings).
    How much do top 10 heavy weight boxers make? Dana is paying his boys peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Why they would be worried about that?
    AO may dominate everybody and become champion in Bellator or WSOF, but at the end no one will consider him a legit Top 5 fighter because everybody will remember how much he failed in the UFC.
    It might be smart of Dana. AO could/should have beat his last 2 opponents but blew both fights. He definitely has the talent to be a top 5 fighter. It would be great for Dana if AO loses all his UFC fights and then goes to Bellator and destroys their competition.

Thread Information