Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

What a fight. Just awesome and wayyy better than I expected.

I scored the fight 3rounds to 2 for Bones. Gave him 2,4,5. Say what you want but he was tested and passed the test. The judge that scored it 49-46 is clueless and by no means did Jones win 4 rounds.

Imo Gus lost this fight by gassing. That was the deciding factor. My hat is off to him, I didn't give him NO chance in hell. I had it

1 Gus
    2 Too close to call
    3 Gus
    4 Gus
    5 Jones

Gus dominated the fourth. Jones landing an elbow at the end with a little flurry shouldn't win you a whole round.

Gus was eating those head kicks though
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Gus was eating those head kicks though
    Yes he was. That was my biggest issue with his defense

I scored Gus getting 1 and 4, Jones getting 2,3 and 5. Rounds 1 and 5 are the only rounds that are definitive... the middle three are up for grabs no matter who's judging

What a war. I was there at the ACC and the crowd was absolutely wild for the whole fight. Amazing fight, best one I've ever seen live out of the 4 UFC shows in Toronto.

On the judging, Jones did take it IMO. It was really close though and could have gone either way. The end of the 4th with Gus eating those elbows made it look almost over. And the 5th was all Bones. So Gus was up 2-1 after 2 rounds and just couldn't get that one more.

I've never seen either of these guys get beat up like that, and they pushed each other to the limit. A rematch must happen down the line, but not immediately.

Fight of the year for sure so far, absolute war.

Quote Originally Posted by 1inthechamber View Post
    Gus dominated the fourth. Jones landing an elbow at the end with a little flurry shouldn't win you a whole round.
    Sure goose was landing more shots in the 4th, but I wouldn't call it dominating. Jones definitely won the 4th. His strikes were much more significant at the end, so much so that goose was still trying to recover in the 5th.

I had the Gus taking the fight 3-2. The judge who had it 4-1 for Jones should be drowned in Lake Michigan. And this coming from a Finn (we can't stand Swedes).
    Jones looked pretty much awful most of the fight, he clearly wasn't comfortable fighting someone without his huge reach advantage that he has gotten so used to. All he had going in the fight were his elbows and low kicks. His head kicks were either partially blocked or didn't land cleanly enough to actually demolish Gus.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

I had Gus 3-2 but thought the judges would go 3-2 Jones. Great fight though i can't wait for a rematch (surely it'll happen at some point) and i think Gus takes it

Holy actual fuck. That fight was epic. On first watching it I thought Goose took it but I'd need to watch it again. Not upset that Jones got the decision though.

I thought in the first round that Goose's movement was excellent but that it could come back to haunt him if he didn't have the cardio to sustain that pace. Unfortunately that's what happened (aided no doubt by the physical toll from some pretty effective strikes by Jones).

I thought that Goose's best weapons were his straight right (both to the head and the body) and his left hook which landed well especially in the 4th. He also showed that leg kicks can be effective against Jones if you commit to them. Jones showed fantastic variety and accuracy with his outside kicking game and has possibly the best standing elbows in the business.

Other things we learned? Both fighters have superb chins. Jones can be cut. Goose's TDD is better than we thought. Neither have a lot of quit in them.

The best part? These guys are both 24. There's easily time for a trilogy of fights or more.

Thread Information