Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

You guys are dicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

I just don't understand how fans could hate jones. I understand dislike b/c he comes off as inscinere (sorry not even spell check could fix that) but hate? I hate the guy from Cleveland who held those women hostage. I hate pedophiles. I get that but a sports star? Are people just jealous? On another note don't read what the idiots write if u know it will be bad. Also congrats on the marriage I had not heard he got married. /end rant

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post

You guys are dicks
    I follow Jones on twitter and never saw that. I think that's a different Jones.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post

You guys are dicks

Jones ain't white!

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    I follow Jones on twitter and never saw that. I think that's a different Jones.

That's gonna be FOTY for sure. Now everyone is ragging Jones about his strike defense, how about giving credit to those accurate laser shots GUS landing, hell I think GUS could out strike Lyoto Michida easily. I think Jones can improve, but only so much. GUS has radar in those fists, but he's vonurable to 14I would even say he would have a good shot against Anderson Silva and that fight could happen! I'm am now a big GUS fan, and can't wait for his next fight! This is not a night to complain about shit if you are a true MMA fan! This is a night to celebrate a full display of the evolution of Mixed Martial Arts! This was worthy of a Movie Fight Scene! I deeply regret not buying this PPV, and I never say that.....ever.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Good fight, I think it's typical that a lot of people seem to be focusing on jones in a critical manner, instead of being impressed by goose. I though jones would wreck goose... And instead goose almost took his belt. That was more then just equal size...I'm not saying jones looked great, but goose stuffing his takedowns, striking him frequently, and having a hell of a chin had a lot to do with it. It's similar to when Cain dominated dos santos in the second fight, a lot of people came on here questioning Cain's finishing power, instead of complementing the clinic he put on, or even how fucking tough jds was.

I'm mostly interested to see jones next fight, how he improves over what seemed to be almost a mental loss to him...Jones certainly learned he needs to work on some things, which is good for him.

Anyway, great fight. Both those guys are warriors. Was really impressed by goose.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I thought Gus took that fight. He landed more often, with cleaner shots (aside from some head kicks), and made it a really difficult night for Jones. For me, Gus took the fight based on his striking, and ability to block the takedown. To score a round against a guy who defends 11 of 12 takedowns is a great way of showing the point bias towards landing takedowns as opposed to defending them.
    I had it a draw. I don't know that he landed more often--Jones throws a lot of weak leg jabs and those horrible-should-be-fucking-outlawed obliques. I'm not going to bother with fightmetric because their sig strike stats are often way off...with the exception of the 4th, I thought Jones looked busier but Gus landed the more significant strikes.

Most importantly, I thought Gus exploded the myth that Jones is a great grappler.

Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    I watched the event at the UFC Gym in Long Island. Great event, awesome unexpected shit.

The crowd was mostly pro-Jones, but man, that fight was VERY epic. Although Jones was happy, a lot of people in the crowd had it Draw or a Goose win.
    I wasn't in NY, but I had it a draw as well. I've watched it three times now.

All in all, the fight exposed what most of us all thought, that Jones boxing is garbage. He relies soo much on his length with his leg jabs, that he doesnt really seem to use any technique in his whole striking game. He probably realizes his boxing aspirations are a bit premature. Hats off to Goose for working on his TDD diligently, and all that training with Phil Davis and Swedish wrestling team has paid off, cause all those stuff TD kept the fight standing, and made it into a FOTY candidate.
    I'm not going to call you a hater, but I don't think Jones' boxing is actually garbage.

If there is a black-and-white line that makes it either p4p the best or garbage, I'd put it in garbage territory...because it's significantly closer to garbage than it is to p4p elite in power or technique. But that's just a reaction to the ridiculous volume of overhype the guy gets. I don't think his striking is horrible. I think it's good. Just good. Not great, just good. I think he's relied on his length advantage and has never been pushed, so he's been lazy. But I don't think it's bad, or garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    So volume of strikes equates to better striking? Interesting.
    No, but it does equate to outstriking."
    No, it really doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    What we got to see is a guy who is larger than 90% of the fighters he fights struggle because he wasnt simply bigger.
    90%?

Who has been bigger than him? Or more specifically, who has been close to having his length/reach?

I knew Gus was going to expose the striking as less-than-awesome...but I was surprised at how he completely handled him grappling. I think that's a bigger story than the striking.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Hasnt goose dominated everyone hes fought except for Davis and Shogun(last round)? To me this fight was a representation of what happens when 2 colossol forces collide. Goose isnt just sucessful because he is big, hes fuckin talented, so is Jones.
    Wasn't Jones ahead in the odds, something like 9 to 1 going into this bout? Weren't people predicting that Jones was better everywhere? He wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I just don't understand how fans could hate jones. I understand dislike b/c he comes off as inscinere (sorry not even spell check could fix that) but hate? I hate the guy from Cleveland who held those women hostage. I hate pedophiles. I get that but a sports star? Are people just jealous? On another note don't read what the idiots write if u know it will be bad. Also congrats on the marriage I had not heard he got married. /end rant
    So, you missed the joke, some other jon jones was the target of ignorance...but it brings up a great point about hatred and ignorance.

First of all, I don't hate Jones. But I don't think he's 1/10th as amazing as he's hyped up to be. I don't have him as top 3 pound for pound. I don't think he's a great striker or a great grappler--yet.

And those statements will often be misinterpreted as criticism of him, or worse, just hating on him. That's foolish, and ignorant. But it is what it is.

But there is a whole other level of ignorance that the anonymity of the intereweb produces, where some asshole with a keyboard feels confident enough to talk shit about another man's wife...but it's something that they would NEVER say to his face. Louis CK did a great job of breaking that down the other day on Conan, talking about texting and cell phones and how an entire generation is growing up without human interaction [and the subsequent asskickings occasionally involved] to help them realize that being a douchebag is being a douchebag.

anyone who would ever post anonymously about someone's wife, or kid, or whatever is an asshole. It's even weaker than sucker punching someone...and anyone who has ever sucker punched anyone, anytime, for any reason, is a waste of skin.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 09-22-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Go fuck yourself you dipshit troll. Go ahead and neg me for that. You're the only one who's negged me in the past year anyway.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

10. 09-22-2013, 11:52 PM

Go fuck yourself you dipshit troll. Go ahead and neg me for that. You're the only one who's negged me in the past year anyway.
    Love you too!

Quote Originally Posted by rspier View Post
    Good fight, I think it's typical that a lot of people seem to be focusing on jones in a critical manner, instead of being impressed by goose. I though jones would wreck goose... And instead goose almost took his belt. That was more then just equal size...I'm not saying jones looked great, but goose stuffing his takedowns, striking him frequently, and having a hell of a chin had a lot to do with it. It's similar to when Cain dominated dos santos in the second fight, a lot of people came on here questioning Cain's finishing power, instead of complementing the clinic he put on, or even how fucking tough jds was.

I'm mostly interested to see jones next fight, how he improves over what seemed to be almost a mental loss to him...Jones certainly learned he needs to work on some things, which is good for him.

Anyway, great fight. Both those guys are warriors. Was really impressed by goose.
    Completely agree.

Thread Information