Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

Wow, Gustafsson is the man!!
    The fight was very close and IMO Gus won rounds 1, 2 and 3. 4th and 5th were easily for Jones.
    There will be for sure a rematch one day, because this was an amazing fight and easily one of the best (If not the best) title fights ever.
    This will be for sure fight of the year.
    I honestly thought that Jones would absolutely dominate Gustafsson, and we all saw that it was not the case at all.
    Gustafsson landed tons of punches, and showed an outstanding TDD.
    Also big props for his huge heart, because he was almost finished in round 4. I thought that in round 5 he would get demolished because 1 minute to recover after that 4th round was not too much. And still he really did a good 5th round!

Amazing display by both of them. Jones actually did a lot of very good things too.
    This has been probably the second best MMA fight I have ever seen (First one was Shogun vs Hendo).

For the other fights:

Barao vs Wineland:

That kick was impressive but I wish the bout lasted longer than that because Wineland was doing very good actually. He probably won the first round and was looking very good until the kick.

Mitrione vs Schaub:

There is nothing really to say here. Mitrione is a good fighter with very strong power in his punches, but seriously he has no place in the main card of a PPV.
    Though I will always like him for retiring Kimbo Slice from MMA.
    Schaub...he looked very good actually, landed some good shots and well, he showed that he knows BJJ stuff despite his huge fiasco in Metamorsis.

Costa vs Carmont:

Costa was probably prepared for a whole different type of fight. He is strong as hell, he has excellent TDD and yet he was taken down easily and was completely controlled the whole fight.
    Carmont may be actually a legit threat to the Top fighters. He looked very good! And training with the likes of GSP will make him even better.

Nurmagomedov vs Healy

Awesome first round by Khabib, in second and third he was beginning to get hit in the stand up so he did a very good job of taking the fight to the ground and controlling it there. Also, that slam was beautiful.
    But IMO he is still not ready for a title shot. To me it looks that a really good striker (with good TDD) will give him a lot of trouble, and to me, Anthony Pettis or Ben Henderson look much stronger than Khabib.
    I think a fight with Ben Henderson would be nice to see how ready he really is, if he beats Bendo in a convincing way, then yes, he is ready for a shot at the title.
    Anyway he may very well be a future champion, he is still very young.

Few points:

- Rogan should seriously educate a little bit himself before talking about things he has no idea about.
    If he has not any idea of what is that stuff that Khabib wears in the head, he should inform himself before saying in TV a stupidity like "Man, one day I will ask him why he is wearing that blonde wig".
    Then Goldberg fortunately clarifies that it is a hat, and when asked about why Khabib is wearing it, Goldie answers with a stupidity of his own: "I don't know, because he is Russian hahaha".
    Seriously they both looked like absolute idiots in that one.
    The hat Khabib is wearing is a "Papaxa", it is a traditional hat of Dagestan.

- Talking about Joe Rogan. Where did he saw a thumb to the eye from Gustafsson is something I do not understand at all. Even in the replay you can see there was no thumb to the eye at all.

- The crowd was very respectful. It was not that they were cheering for Canadians and booing the fuck out of foreigners. They respected every fighter.

- Dana White was looking very pissed after the Barao fight.

- It is understandable that fighters show emotions after they win a fight. But I wish some of them control themselves a little bit.
    Backstage when there are no cameras they can do whatever they want, but when you are in front of thousands of people, and millions of people around the world are watching you, you can control yourself a little bit better. In this case I am talking about Schaub and Barao
    Last edited by Pasha K; 09-23-2013 at 02:16 AM.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    ...does that make you a 'hater?'

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    ...does that make you a 'hater?'

rh
    Goddamnit I hate that word. Hater. Anybody who has a valid criticism or critique of anyone or anything is a "hater" all of a sudden.

I think I speak for all of us unanimously, when I say that after Saturday night, the ONLY fight to make for Jon Jones is a showdown with a Klitschko.

Edit:

I dont understand why some people harp on "size". Nah, fuck the fact that Gus is an insanely talented fighter; the main reason Jones struggled is because his size advantage wasn't there and Jones is overhyped...
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I think I speak for all of us unanimously, when I say that after Saturday night, the ONLY fight to make for Jon Jones is a showdown with a Klitschko.

Edit:

I wonder what Jones' record would be if he had a 77inch reach like everyone else in the LHW division? Probably never very good. He still had a reach advantage over Gus, I wonder how the fight would have gone if the reach advantage was switched.

On the other hand, I think he did answer some critics in terms of his chin, he did take some big shots, although those often have a cumulative effect over a career.

I thought Jones was going to win by GnP in round 1, really shocked that Gus stuffed so many take downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    So volume of strikes equates to better striking? Interesting.

What we got to see is a guy who is larger than 90% of the fighters he fights struggle because he wasnt simply bigger.

There is blood in the water, the sharks are coming

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    And don't forget about a Cain matchup, that HW jump is gonna be GOLD Jerry, GOLD.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    I wonder what Jones' record would be if he had a 77inch reach like everyone else in the LHW division? Probably never very good. He still had a reach advantage over Gus, I wonder how the fight would have gone if the reach advantage was switched.

On the other hand, I think he did answer some critics in terms of his chin, he did take some big shots, although those often have a cumulative effect over a career.

I thought Jones was going to win by GnP in round 1, really shocked that Gus stuffed so many take downs.

I thought it would be a repeat of Davis vs Gus. I was shocked at his performance.

I've said this about his reach forever. Like I said before, Jones won't make top 5 at HW or maybe even top 10. He has a lot of improving to do, the look on his face was priceless when he kept just "spamming" (ufc 3 lol) those oblique kicks and Gus was still punching him in his face lol.

I think its safe to say we won't see that "Not Quite Human" shirt again.

Thread Information