Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    And don't forget about a Cain matchup, that HW jump is gonna be GOLD Jerry, GOLD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    I dont understand why some people harp on "size". Nah, fuck the fact that Gus is an insanely talented fighter; the main reason Jones struggled is because his size advantage wasn't there and Jones is overhyped...
    I don't think anyone is saying that Gus isn't insanely talented. I don't think anyone is saying Jones is just as talented.

I, for one, am saying that Jones is simply not p4p #1, and that I don't even have him top 3. I'm also saying that right now, Jones uses his length advantage to cover significant holes in his game. If that wasn't obvious this weekend, I can't really help you. I'm also saying Jones has potential to grow into pound for pound elite. But ranking him over guys like Aldo, or Georges, or Anderson is foolishness.

That doesn't mean he's anything but the best in the LHW division right now. But being the best in one division--with obvious holes in your game--doesn't equate to being #1 p4p.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I just watched the fight again without the commentary, and while it was a close fight I still scored it for Jones, Gus was awesome, but in my opinion, Jones still won. Judging is not a perfect science, unless you have the benefit of slow motion replay. I could have seen it called either way, I originally scored it for Jones, and on second view still scored it for him. I'm excited for the rematch one day. I don't think Jones is as much of a bum on the feet that some are making him out to be with the reach advantage negated, I think Gus has awesome boxing and wicked hand speed. I also think Jones neglected his takedowns and set ups in his training and he alluded to it in the post fight interview where he said he focused a lot on his boxing and it might not have been the right idea. When the rematch happens I see a very different fight. I figure Jones will come in with a different game plan and something to prove. Gus on the other hand will have a huge confidence boost in the rematch, he knows he can take a hit from jones, and he knows he can touch his chin repeatedly. I see him coming more aggressive with more combos of 3-4 punches. I would love to see these two fight 2 or 3 more times (spread out over the next many years). Either way it goes down....both these fighters will be better because of this fight.

Easily best M/E I have seen live... And I was expecting nothing special.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that Gus isn't insanely talented. I don't think anyone is saying Jones is just as talented.

I, for one, am saying that Jones is simply not p4p #1, and that I don't even have him top 3. I'm also saying that right now, Jones uses his length advantage to cover significant holes in his game. If that wasn't obvious this weekend, I can't really help you. I'm also saying Jones has potential to grow into pound for pound elite. But ranking him over guys like Aldo, or Georges, or Anderson is foolishness.

That doesn't mean he's anything but the best in the LHW division right now. But being the best in one division--with obvious holes in your game--doesn't equate to being #1 p4p.

rh
    When the event finished, I couldn't help but feel the marketing angle the UFC attached to the event might have backfired on them in some way. The whole "Greatness within reach" slogan they ran with was a clear play on the fact that a win over Gus would make Jones the most dominant LHW in history, and much of the criticsm he had received was pointed at Jones' size, calling him too big for the weight class etc.

When all was said I done, sure Jones had surpassed Ortiz's record and put his name in the history books, but even those that put Jones down as the winner had to admit it was only by the skin of his teeth. Much of the news coverage and fan discussion focused almost entirely on the controversy surrounding the decision, with not much than a passing mention of the new record set by Jones.

As for that reach advantage; well, we saw that when Jones can't exploit physical gifts and size advantage, and faces a guy with slick hand skill and stellar takedown defense, he struggles to impose his game plan, or do much significant damage. It'll be harder than ever for Dana to rubbish claims that size is a huge factor in Jones' success, and I'm certainly feeling a lot less optimistic about His success when the inevitable move to HW finally happens.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

VIDEO OF JON JONES' FACE 4 DAYS AFTER UFC 165
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/25...e-4-days-after

Thread Information