Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC 165: Jones vs Gustafsson

I thought Gus took that fight. He landed more often, with cleaner shots (aside from some head kicks), and made it a really difficult night for Jones. For me, Gus took the fight based on his striking, and ability to block the takedown. To score a round against a guy who defends 11 of 12 takedowns is a great way of showing the point bias towards landing takedowns as opposed to defending them.

48-47 Gus

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

I wouldn't mind see an immediate rematch here. I'm not a huge fan of either guy and really didn't care who won, or by what outcome but I really think Gus won that fight and should get a rematch now.. I'm the biggest Glover fan in the world, and this is coming from me, he should wait.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    I wouldn't mind see an immediate rematch here. I'm not a huge fan of either guy and really didn't care who won, or by what outcome but I really think Gus won that fight and should get a rematch now.. I'm the biggest Glover fan in the world, and this is coming from me, he should wait.
    Nah, no need for an immediate rematch. The fight was close, but I would be way more interested in a rematch after each person has a few more fights. Since they are both so young, it would be exciting to see which one improves the most by then, if the rematch happens down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    Nah, no need for an immediate rematch. The fight was close, but I would be way more interested in a rematch after each person has a few more fights. Since they are both so young, it would be exciting to see which one improves the most by then, if the rematch happens down the line.
    Well gents, I was 15 rows up at the ACC last night and i took 2 things out of last night.
    1. The Eddie Wineland stoppage was early
    2. Gus/Jones is fight of the year as of right now. I though Gus won that fight too, but there is an old addage that rings true in MMA more than any other sport. " Tie goes to the incumbent". Let's face it that was a marginal win for Gus or a draw, and a draw goes to the champ. Just the way it is. I'd pay $200x3 (cost for the tickets for me and my kids)to watch that fight again live.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I thought Gus took that fight. He landed more often, with cleaner shots (aside from some head kicks), and made it a really difficult night for Jones. For me, Gus took the fight based on his striking, and ability to block the takedown. To score a round against a guy who defends 11 of 12 takedowns is a great way of showing the point bias towards landing takedowns as opposed to defending them.

48-47 Gus
    Fight metric had jones outlanding goose in every round I think? That being said, I haven't watched the fight yet... Stoked to watch it tonight... Sounds like a barn burner....

I'll have to rewatch the fight today. I thought Jones won a very close decision. Either way that was an awesome fight. I don't see how anyone can call that a robbery, or the worst decision since blah blah. It was a close fight. Props to Gus and Jones.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Great fight. I thought Gus won a close decision. Will have to rewatch it today.

I watched the event at the UFC Gym in Long Island. Great event, awesome unexpected shit.

The crowd was mostly pro-Jones, but man, that fight was VERY epic. Although Jones was happy, a lot of people in the crowd had it Draw or a Goose win. Nobody thought to give the fight to Jones, cause they scored it rounds 1, 3, 4 for Goose, and 2 was considered a draw by almost everyone, with Jones getting the 5th. Was hanging out with Chris Cope (the Wooo guy from TUF), and he had it Goose edging out the victory.

I'd have to watch it again cause when they announced 49-46, I thought Goose had taken it, cause you could make a case for him winning the 5th round as well, as he won the first 2 minutes, Jones the next 2 minutes, and the deciding last minute went to Goose for pushing the pace and landing soft jabs.

All in all, the fight exposed what most of us all thought, that Jones boxing is garbage. He relies soo much on his length with his leg jabs, that he doesnt really seem to use any technique in his whole striking game. He probably realizes his boxing aspirations are a bit premature. Hats off to Goose for working on his TDD diligently, and all that training with Phil Davis and Swedish wrestling team has paid off, cause all those stuff TD kept the fight standing, and made it into a FOTY candidate.

I hate immediate rematches, especially one where the champ retained his title. I'd put Glover vs Jones and Goose vs Phil Davis for number 1 contender.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    I hate immediate rematches, especially one where the champ retained his title. I'd put Glover vs Jones and Goose vs Phil Davis for number 1 contender.
    I agree. I think this fight would be much more interesting even 2 or 3 fights down the road.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Thread Information