Thread: Doctor nearly stopped Jones vs. Gus over cut

Hybrid View

Default Doctor nearly stopped Jones vs. Gus over cut

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-Gus-over-cut/

At UFC 165 Saturday night, the doctor wanted to stop the fight, but ultimately did not due to the reaction of both Jones and referee John McCarthy, who knew Jones could go on to win, which he of course did.

Jones got cut in the first, and the doctor took several opportunities to check the injury. Fighting Alexander Gustafsson in 4 oz gloves is not a great way to fix a cut, and 18 minutes later, the doctor was ready to stop it.

"I don't know if you heard, but the doctors were going to stop the fight in the last round because of the cut," UFC president Dana White said to Ariel Helwani post fight. "And Jones begged him not to stop the fight. And from what I understand McCarthy did too - pleaded with them not to stop the fight."

White: 'Both guys felt like they were going to die'
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-going-to-die/

Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson was extraordinarily compelling, and so grueling that neither fighter appeared at the post fight press conference. Instead, they went to the hospital. Both were released with no notable injuries.

However, as related by UFC president Dana White, the fight was a window into how far man can push.

"You could tell in the last round both of those guys were fighting on pure heart," said White. "Both of them. Gustafsson had never been five rounds before, and he got hurt bad with those elbows in the fourth round. He got hit with some stuff in the fifth round. Jon Jones was busted up and kept moving forward. He pleaded with the doctor not to stop it in the fifth.

"Not that I can talk to this either, but I believe this is one of those fights where both guys felt like they were going to die. You feel like, 'I don't know if I can continue. I don't know if I can keep doing this. I don't know if I can go one more round,' if they even knew what round it was."

"It was one of those kind of fights. It's why you've got to respect what happened here so much."

White: Not the time yet to decide Jones vs. Gus rematch
    http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...s-Gus-rematch/

"We've got to see how these guys feel, if anything is wrong with them, and then go from there," said White at the post fight press conference.

"When you see two guys get busted up like they did tonight, they don't even want to talk about fighting for a few weeks. You've got to let them heal up, go home, spend some time with their family and start to get that itch again. Then, they'll be ready to talk."

"I got so caught up in the fight, and people were yelling at me and stuff, and I was yelling at people, and I honestly didn't score the fight."

"I didn't say we were going to do the rematch. I would like to do the rematch. It makes sense, I like it. First of all, with a fight like this, you've got to go home and let things play out. Jon Jones isn't going to even want to hear the word fight for two, three weeks. I guarantee you that. Maybe it is Glover, maybe it's a rematch. I don't know."

UFC 165's Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson released from hospital
    http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...-from-hospital
    Following the most grueling fight of his UFC career, light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has been released from a Toronto hospital with no broken bones or serious injuries.

A UFC official today confirmed the news with MMAjunkie.com.

In the headliner of Saturday's UFC 165 event at Toronto's Air Canada Centre, Jones earned a unanimous-decision victory over Alexander Gustafsson. But "Bones," a 9-1 favorite in the fight, was battered, bruised, bloodied and hobbled in the five-round war of attrition.

After the fight (which Jones won via 48-47, 48-47 and 49-46 scores), neither he nor Gustafsson arrived at the post-event press conference. Instead, the two fighters were ushered to local hospitals for evaluations.

"Thank you for everyone support," Jones tweeted immediately after the fight. "I felt a little off my game tonight but I learned alot about myself and I promise to come back better."
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 09-22-2013 at 12:19 PM.

I've seen worse cuts not get stopped.

Thread Information