Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glover Teixeira Doesn’t Want to Wait Around for a Jones-Gustafsson Rematch

I like the rematch idea, it was a close and exciting fight. It reminds of Edgar-Maynard in the fact it was such an awesome fight, not doing a rematch right away would be an injustice to all fans.

Plus this will allow Glover to actually earn his title shot and fight Phil Davis. Davis-Glover is the only fight that makes sense for either of these two right now.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

I can see them giving him an immediate rematch. But I'm of the opinion you should have a different fight in between. But if they do anything else with Glover I say Davis is the best matchup. Lil Nog is not deserving yet.

Yes, Davis vs Glover is what makes most sense.
    Also we would see how good Glover can deal with a very good wrestler and someone with a huge reach.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

There should not be an immediate rematch here. Since when does a challenger losing a close fight get them an automatic rematch? Jones vs Glover should be next.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return Of...... View Post
    There should not be an immediate rematch here. Since when does a challenger losing a close fight get them an automatic rematch? Jones vs Glover should be next.
    There are a half dozen precedents in recent memory.

Glover should, technically, not be next. Davis should be the next contender in line after his domination of Lyoto. Glover does not have a single win against top 5 competition and has 2 wins over lower-ranked top 10 fighters in Bader and Rampage --- Davis has an undeniably more impressive resume at present.

The matchmaker has the option of Jones/Davis and Glover/Gustaffson, which I prefer if Goose does not get a rematch. I still think that Goose edged it out and won, but the tie goes to the incumbent, sadly. With that performance, Gustaffson sits at #3 in LHW while Davis remains #2; while, Glover remains ranked 6-8.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 09-23-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Davis should be the next contender in line after his domination of Lyoto
    I didn't know they fought a second time. I must look for that fight.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    I didn't know they fought a second time. I must look for that fight.
    August 3, 2013

I did not say Lyoto fought Davis twice.

If you are referring to your personal opinion that Davis did not dominate Lyoto, then I would disagree as Phil dictated exactly where the fight took place in rounds one and two.

UFC: Glover Teixeira open to fight on UFC 168 card if he doesn't get next title shot
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/25...ext-title-shot

Fighters On The Radar

There's not really anyone I'm looking at right now. I'm not quite sure what's going on right now, so I'm just waiting for my manager to call me. Hopefully, I'm still up for the title shot. If they are going to rematch, then I'd definitely like to fight somebody else, a Top 10 or Top 5 guy.

UFC 168

I think that would be a good card to fight on. It's December 28th, and that's a good amount of time for me to recover this little injury I have. I'd like to get back in there and fight, but like I said, I'm not going to rush into this. That's my manager's job to work out. We'll see what happens. I'll stay back a couple of more weeks, listen to my phone ring and then see what happens.

Staying Healthy Despite Fighting Every 3 Months

Little injuries are always happening, so you've just got to train through those. You've also got to have the right training partners, people you trust. Good conditioning helps you prepare your muscles, so I make sure I'm always strict with my conditioning. A lot of fighters just go to the gym and spar or wrestle, but they forget about their conditioning. Things like that cause lots of injuries.

If There Is A Long Wait

If I'm the next guy to get the title shot, I'd like plenty of time to prepare for it. It could be eight months, but this is the fight I've wanted, and I'm willing to wait for it. The thing is, if they fight again first, then I will take another fight, too.

Training Between Three Locations

I like to go over to Black House and help out Lyoto [Machida] a little bit. He also helps me a lot with that different style that he has. At the Pit, we don't have the heavier weights there any more. They don't have any guys over 160 pounds, I don't think. I just go there to work my technique with John Hackleman and with Chuck [Liddell] a little bit. American Top Team is my number one camp right now.

Preparing For A Title Shot

Their fight is a great tool to have for later on if I'm going to face one of those guys. It was a five round fight, so you see their weaknesses and their strengths. You know they're going to try to fix whatever they did wrong, though, so you've got to prepare for everything. That's my mentality on it. You go in there, 100% conditioned and in shape, and ready to go five rounds if you need to.

Game Planning

I'm not too much of a game planning guy. I leave that to my coaches. I just try to train and be prepared in everything. Some days I may need to work more on my wrestling or more on my jiu jitsu; stuff like that. I like to see how the day's training goes before I plan the next day. Sometimes you've got to change it up.

Fighting Locale Preferences

I don't really mind where I fight. I made the United States my home, here in Connecticut, so I'm pretty much good to fight anywhere in the US and around the world. My favorite place to fight is in Vegas, no doubt.

ADCC

I love to compete in Abu Dhabi. I've been there two times, in 2009 and 2011, and it was a great show. It's a great way to stay sharp because you're competing with the best grapplers in the world. I would have loved to have gone this year, but I didn't get invited, and it's too close now.

Influences

There's so many people I look up to. Of course there's Chuck Liddell, who started teaching me everything. Today, it's some of the new guys and their styles like Jose Aldo and Cain Velasquez. Those guys, I look at them and see the way they fight, and I love it. They inspire me. There's also some guys here and there in grappling and jiu jitsu, and John Hackleman is a great trainer to me, as well as [Ricardo] Liborio from ATT. Those are some of the guys that I look up to.

'70 percent' Jon Jones prefers Glover Teixeira fight next, not Alexander Gustafsson rematch
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/25/47...on-rematch-mma
    Ariel Helwani has the word on "UFC Tonight:"

"Initially, before watching the fight, he thought the most fair thing to do was to grant Alexander Gustafsson an immediate rematch, it was such a close fight. But after watching it over 10 times, he now believes that he decisively won rounds two, round four and round five and maybe even round one. So, now he thinks, because it was so clear cut, that the most fair thing to do is to grant the next contender a title shot. He'd be up to anything; if UFC said fight Gustafsson, he'd do it, but he thinks the most fair thing to do right now is to move on. He also said Gustafsson was very game and put forth a great fight but he thinks personally, he was only at 70 percent and next time he vowed that he would be at 100 percent."

I'd rather see a rematch after they each have a few fights. They are both so young, the idea that they could improve a lot more between 2-3 fights would be pretty exciting to see in a rematch down the line.

Thread Information