+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Jones vs Gustafsson fightmetric

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Not sure who exactly had Frankie beating Aldo, and yea he had a terrible weight cut and lost the 5th and maybe the 4th round in that fight. But he has consistently beaten better competition the last 3 years than anybody else. Including guys who have moved down to his weight class. Which for me cements his P4P status.
    Well....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post

- Aldo vs Edgar: I personally scored it 48-47, but I think people going nuts over the 49-46 like it was a robbery may need to watch the fight again. The 3rd and 5th round were both very close. Only the 4th went clearly to Edgar. Nonetheless, it was too bad that Aldo abandoned his leg kicks after the 3rd round as it was a huge difference maker. Edgar is just awesome. It just sucks how close of a 2nd place he is at 2 weight classes. He is probably the only guy who is still one of the top p4p fighters after 3 straight losses. It really should be Aldo vs Lamas next, but that text message from Pettis now may say otherwise. That would be a crazy fight.

Overall great event.
    Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    I was leaning 48-47 Edgar, but I wouldn't have a problem with 48-47 Aldo. But when the judges show such blatant bias by scoring it 49-46 Aldo, it makes you question their ability to score the fight as well as its outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_bills View Post
    Poor Frankie. Still one of my faves of all time, these judges man. I guess he needs to mix it up more, I feel if he chased it he could have won one and two tbh.

Breaks my heart seeing a real warrior who puts it all on the line every fight get the shit end of the stick all the time. But it is what it is. Hope he stays at 145 and works his way to another shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    Gotta admit, I just don't like Frankie, In fact I hate him..... but I had Frankie winning that fight 48-47 by taking rounds 3 through 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I had Frankie winning the last 3 and the fight. I get that not everybody has it that way, but 49-46 what the fuck man?!?!?! These judges suck so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I give it to Frankie 3,4 and 5.......

Won't be shocked if it's a draw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    48-47 Edgar.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    come on frankie edgar 3-2
    oh fuck my stream

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    When you line up the guys GSP has beaten since becoming champion and before that, there isn't a fighter in the history of MMA that can compare.

Sean Sherk - UFC LW Champion
    BJ Penn(2x) - UFC LW and WW Champion

Matt Hughes (2x) - 2x UFC WW champion
    Matt Serra - UFC WW Champion
    Carlos Condit - WEC and UFC WW Champion
    Nick Diaz - Strikeforce WW Champion
    Jake Shields - Elite XC WW Champion and Strikeforce MW Champion
    Three of the guys on that list are LWs, and Diaz has fought lower than WW as well. That doesn't do anything for his P4P status. But I'm not saying GSP isn't the greatest P4P MMA fighter of all time (I'm not saying he is either), what I am saying is Aldo is the best P4P fighter right NOW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Well....
    You really could have said "members of this forum" instead of going all of the way back and quoting all of those guys. But glad you got the time on a Monday haha.

But he still got the victory, over a former LW champ.

Everyone needs to get over it, Jones is P4P #1. If anything, Gus should now be in the talk for being up there. But because a guy had a tough fight doesn't knock him out of #1. Just ask Anderson Silva after he got dominated by Sonnen for 4 rounds but pulled off the late victory....

Quote Originally Posted by Trustym2 View Post
    Everyone needs to get over it, Jones is P4P #1. If anything, Gus should now be in the talk for being up there. But because a guy had a tough fight doesn't knock him out of #1. Just ask Anderson Silva after he got dominated by Sonnen for 4 rounds but pulled off the late victory....
    Bones was never the #1 P4P fighter

You really could have said "members of this forum" instead of going all of the way back and quoting all of those guys. But glad you got the time on a Monday haha.

But he still got the victory, over a former LW champ.
    Again, Aldo beating Edgar is the equivalent of Cain dropping down to LHW to face Jones, and then losing.
    Aldo beating Florian is the equivalent of Struve dropping down to LHW, winning the first round, and then getting pwned.

Everyone needs to get over it, Jones is P4P #1.
    so much No here, I don't think cyberspace can fit it all.

Bones was never the #1 P4P fighter
    agreed. This is bullshit marketing at it's finest.

I've never heard any type of argument for Jones being top 5 p4p other than "he's really good at beating guys in his weight class that he's much, much bigger than." No discussion of elite level skill, no valid discussion of being better than everyone else at...anything.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

And yet, most people and rankings have him as #1 since AS lost. There is no argument against it. He's been #2 for a little while now. And he has not lost yet. This last fight was definitely his closest and that's a testament to how good Gus is in my opinion. As for the argument, in each fight other than this one, he has shown new things. Choking out Machida, finishing all but 4 of this fights. I would say that's a pretty good showing of his skills.
    And he's been better than anyone he's faced so far...

GSP has not lost either in years and he has dominated every opponent he has faced.
    He is not a finisher, but he ragdolls everybody. In his last 11 fights, he has been in serious trouble only a couple of minutes, and that was against Condit. Other than that, he has done anything he wanted with everyone.

Jose Aldo has also not lost since 2005 and he has looked very dominant and impressive.
    For me, he should be considered right now the best P4P fighter in the world.

Jon Jones should be No. 4, or maybe No. 5 if we put Renan Barao ahead of him
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

And yet, most people and rankings have him as #1 since AS lost. There is no argument against it. He's been #2 for a little while now. And he has not lost yet. This last fight was definitely his closest and that's a testament to how good Gus is in my opinion. As for the argument, in each fight other than this one, he has shown new things. Choking out Machida, finishing all but 4 of this fights. I would say that's a pretty good showing of his skills.
    And he's been bigger than anyone he's faced so far...

Fixed

For this reason I think all dominant champs should test the waters in a higher division after they've cleaned out their division. It would make the p4p discussion much more informed and interesting. Also, it takes a bit for things to shake out in their division at that point and they might as well see how they stack up in the next division against a low to mid level fighter. If they rack up 2 or 3 impressive wins in that division over time, that makes a super fight with the champ at that weight class more interesting, and somewhat deserved. That's about the point silva was at before his recent loss.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information