Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones vs Gustafsson fightmetric

Default Jones vs Gustafsson fightmetric

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/09/...icial-ufc.html

Rnd 1: Total strikes Significant strikes Head strikes Body stikes Leg strikes TD/attempts
    Jones : 28 28 5 8 15 0/3
    Gustafsson:19 19 8 4 7 1/1

Rnd 2

Jones: 26 26 5 7 14 0/3
    Gustafsson: 15 15 9 3 3 0/1

Rnd 3

Jones: 30 29 11 9 10 0/0
    Gustafsson: 26 26 14 10 2 0/1

Rnd 4
    Jones: 28 27 18 3 7 0/3
    Gustafsson: 26 26 15 9 2 0/1

Rnd 5

Jones: 25 24 16 2 7 1/2
    Gustafsson: 28 24 20 7 1 0/4

Incredibly close fight, I am surprised to see that Jones out struck him every round but round 5.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

I don't pay much attention to fightmetric, for the most part...did they indicate that Jones got completely and utterly outgrappled?

I doubt it would be enough to put to rest the myth of Jones' "great" wrestling, but it should. Minimally, anyone who still has him as #1 p4p should have their head examined. What was he, a 9 to 1 favorite going in?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Ok let be fair, Jones does have very good Wrestling, it's Grecko Roman if I'm not mistaken, which uses different take downs. GUS would not let him get into the clinch and was elusive, I don't think Sonnen or any great wrestler would have have better luck against him. It wasn't so much what Jones did wrong, it was what Gus did right. This guy may very well beat Jones someday. I honestly think we as fans should thank Jone Jones And Alexander Gustffson for giving us one of the best fights in MMA history! This fight was the benchmark IMHO.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    It wasn't so much what Jones did wrong, it was what Gus did right.
    Agreed... everyone is so quick to jump on Jones sucks bandwagon. Maybe consider that Gustaffson is that good of a fighter. The only loss he had is to Davis and pretty much immediately after the loss he started working with Davis to shore up the weaknesses that were exposed.

I'm sure the 3 years or so since his last loss where he worked on improving his takedown defense may have actually played a part in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Agreed... everyone is so quick to jump on Jones sucks bandwagon.
    Did I say Jones sucked?

Or did I simply say that he's not as great as he's hyped to be?

Is there a difference?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Did I say Jones sucked?
    Did I quote your post or single you out as being one of the people who said it ?

Most of the forum is indeed saying Jones sucked. Reality is that Gus gave Jones the greatest challenge thus far. I do not think Goose would have done so well had he not lost to Davis and got the motivation to evolve.

8. Default

The fight highlighted what many of us already knew... Jones' size advantage is a significant part of his success. It doesn't change much, but at least people will now realize (hopefully) that he doesn't belong at the top of the pound for pound list.
    ------------------

I find it odd that people are saying he shouldn't be atop the pound for pound list....my question to you is why? Because Vegas had odds that turned out to be completely and utterly wrong? because he didn't finish him? because we the fans believed Jones would walk through him? Or because we the fans and many, many others under estimated a very talented fighter in Alexander Gustafsson?

Jones has lost what, 3 rounds in the UFC? Defended the 205 belt more times than anyone else in UFC history, and did so by the young age of 26. Yeah hes the P4P king at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Did I quote your post or single you out as being one of the people who said it ?
    ah...my mistake. You responded to a guy who was responding to me.

But did anyone in this thread indicate he sucked?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    I find it odd that people are saying he shouldn't be atop the pound for pound list....my question to you is why?
    ...because pound for pound is an indication of how fighters would fare if they were all the same size. Anderson, Georges and Jones generally have tremendous reach advantages over their opponents...neither Silva nor St. Pierre have the size advantage to the degree Jones regularly employs, and neither of them use it so obviously to cover holes in their game.

Jones is not a complete fighter. Yet. He's not a great grappler. He's a solid, but not great wrestler. He's an average-at-best submission grappler. He's not a great striker. He lacks both the technique and the power to truly be incredible--again, I'm talking right now in the arc of his career--and yet he's able to use his reach advantage to compensate for that.

Note: I'm saying yet, and right now. He's young, and he's learning. I'm not saying he sucks. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential to be p4p elite.

I am saying that right now, he's not anywhere near the hype he's currently enjoying. And I'm saying that his actual skillset isn't better than many fighters in the industry. That's not a knock against Jones. If anything, it's a knock against zuffa's bullshit hype machine and the clueless fans that buy it hook line and sinker.

And it's not an indication that Jones is anything but the current apex predator at 205.

But being the apex predator in your weight class doesn't equate to p4p elite. Once again, p4p is an estimation of what would happen if all fighters were the same size. If Jones faced Anderson tomorrow, he'd be about 50/50 to win. But if Jones faced an Anderson with an 84" reach, do you think he'd beat him? If he faced a 6'4" Georges with an equal reach, would he beat him?

Jones just got lit up by a guy he still had a reach advantage over. Goose is talented, I don't mean to take anything away from him. But he's not an elite striker. He doesn't have the talent of Aldo, Anderson, or Pettis. And yet he overcame a reach disadvantage to do significantly more damage to Jones than Jones did to him. Alexander has worked on his grappling, certainly, but he's a far cry from being mentioned in the same breath as St. Pierre or as Cain. And yet he schooled Jones in wrestling last night.

That is a graphic illustration of holes in Jones' game.

It doesn't mean he sucks. It doesn't mean he can't grow into an elite p4p fighter. But it does mean that he's not there right now.

But a fighter with obvious holes in his game, who is highly unlikely to beat very skilled fighters who are the same size [or heaven forbid, actually bigger than him] makes it incredibly plain that he shouldn't be considered #1 p4p.

Jones has lost what, 3 rounds in the UFC? Defended the 205 belt more times than anyone else in UFC history, and did so by the young age of 26. Yeah hes the P4P king at the moment
    ...again, being apex predator at 205 mean's he's LHW champ. If you want to talk statistics, you could just as easily ask how many illegal strikes he's gotten away with.

Or, here's a better statistic: How many rounds has Jose Aldo lost in the UFC? You know, the Jose Aldo who has more title defenses than Jones. The Jose Aldo who not only doesn't commonly sport 12+ inches in length advantage over his opponents, but is sometimes beating bigger guys who were credible contenders from a higher weight class? The same Jose Aldo who isn't counting among his "record-breaking" title defenses bouts against guys who moved up in weight, like Belfort and sonnen? Actually, Belfort and sonnen make it back-to-back defenses against MW's, no less...

You must remember sonnen, right? The guy who talked his way into a title shot without ever having beaten a LHW in the UFC? I mean, Jones had 12+ inches in length against a guy who'd never won at 205, but who could flawlessly quote Superstar Billy Graham in a very convincing manner. So it totes counts p4p, amiright? Or how about that little Belfort fella? If I'm not mistaken, he gave up even more size disadvantage, but he still almost tapped Jones in an armbar. That lil' Belfort guy is a grappling whizkid, though, amiright? I mean, he's got 3 submissions in something like 30 fights. So he had an edge, or something.

Yeah. That a title defense string is really something worth bragging about. That's a record entirely above any degree of scrutiny. That shit totes proves he's p4p the bestest.

yeah.

By the way, thanks for being the graphic illustration of the myopic hype the kid gets. I don't hate Jones. It would actually be amazing to see him live up to the hype he's getting right now.

But he's not p4p elite.

rh

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information