+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones vs Gustafsson fightmetric

Jones is a great fighter. GSP is a great fighter. They're not the p4p kings. Aldo has been for a while in my opinion. I started to rank him higher than Anderson even before Anderson lost to Weidman. Aldo has a very comparable track record and title defenses, has beaten elite level fighters who dropped down a weight class (which none of the other guys have done), and unlike all of those guys, Aldo has the least amount of holes in his actual skillset. His striking, wrestling and BJJ are all great. His only knock has been cardio yet guys still pressuring him to 5 rounds ended up losing convincingly.

If every fighter was the same weight, I would easily put my money on Aldo to be the reigning champion.

werd.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

3. Default

Come on guys, Aldo doesnt sell nearly as many t-shirts as Jones and GSP though, so that has a HUGE negative impact on his ranking, doesnt it?

Quote Originally Posted by W.Silva>C.Norris View Post
    Come on guys, Aldo doesnt sell nearly as many t-shirts as Jones and GSP though, so that has a HUGE negative impact on his ranking, doesnt it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Jones is a great fighter. GSP is a great fighter. They're not the p4p kings. Aldo has been for a while in my opinion. I started to rank him higher than Anderson even before Anderson lost to Weidman. Aldo has a very comparable track record and title defenses, has beaten elite level fighters who dropped down a weight class (which none of the other guys have done), and unlike all of those guys, Aldo has the least amount of holes in his actual skillset. His striking, wrestling and BJJ are all great. His only knock has been cardio yet guys still pressuring him to 5 rounds ended up losing convincingly.

If every fighter was the same weight, I would easily put my money on Aldo to be the reigning champion.
    Agreed. Aldo has been above those guys on my list for a while. I always had Aldo and Anderson at the top. Now that Anderson lost to Weidman, I have Aldo all alone.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

what about when Aldo was almost finished by Hominick in their title fight and when people had him losing to Frankie? Just a question for discussion purposes. IMO Aldo has looked more beatable now then he has ever before.

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

Not sure who exactly had Frankie beating Aldo, and yea he had a terrible weight cut and lost the 5th and maybe the 4th round in that fight. But he has consistently beaten better competition the last 3 years than anybody else. Including guys who have moved down to his weight class. Which for me cements his P4P status.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

When you line up the guys GSP has beaten since becoming champion and before that, there isn't a fighter in the history of MMA that can compare.

Sean Sherk - UFC LW Champion
    BJ Penn(2x) - UFC LW and WW Champion
    Matt Hughes (2x) - 2x UFC WW champion
    Matt Serra - UFC WW Champion
    Carlos Condit - WEC and UFC WW Champion
    Nick Diaz - Strikeforce WW Champion
    Jake Shields - Elite XC WW Champion and Strikeforce MW Champion

Lets not forget about guys like Karo Paryisan, Frank Trigg, Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck and Thiago Alves who were all Top 5 WWs when he fought them. I think people have just kind of looked past GSP recently because he has been so good for so long. Kind of like in the NBA when they use to hand out MVP awards to guys other than Michael Jordan because if they did it based on stats Jordan would win it every year for 5-6 years in a row. GSP is that good, he is the Michael Jordan of MMA and in a few years he will be crowned the greatest MMA fighter of all time without question if he is not already on that list.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    what about when Aldo was almost finished by Hominick in their title fight
    Didnt Aldo have some nasty staph infection or something during that fight?

I'm a bit confused about the fight metric. If I remember correctly in the 4th it show sig strikes 88-18 in favor of Gus. I doubt Jones landed over 100 strikes in a little over a round, especially in his state (gassed).

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information