+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jones vs Gustafsson fightmetric

PNP is pretty meaningless. Are people arguing, "Most dominant in division"?

Otherwise, wouldn't both guys need to be identical sizes? If Silva was 6-4 with an 84 inch reach, does anyone think that Jones would beat him? Imagine Machida with a 84 inch reach .... he would be unstopable.

I guess I would argue that Cain (one of my least favourite fighters) is P4P. Has a size disadvantage against most of his competition and still wins.
    Last edited by VimyRidge; 09-23-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    what about when Aldo was almost finished by Hominick in their title fight and when people had him losing to Frankie? Just a question for discussion purposes. IMO Aldo has looked more beatable now then he has ever before.
    I think people exaggerate how close Aldo was to being finished in the hominick fight. I haven't watched it in a while, but I don't remember seeing any of the shots wobble aldo or really hurt him. Aldo just got lazy and tired and figured he could lose a round and be ok. And I think the main reason people think frankie won their fight was because of joe rogans commentary. He made it seem like frankie clearly won rounds that aldo could have easily taken. Personally, i think aldo is more skillful than jones in all aspects of his game except his ground and pound.

It's hard to have P4P debates when there are those that don't fully understand it's concept.

10-8
    10-9
    10-9
    10-9
    8-10

10-9

10-9
    10-9
    10-9
    8-10

10-9

10-9
    10-9
    10-9
    8-10

Aldo may have gassed but I don't think he was close to being finished in the last round having known that he was ahead 4 rounds to one. Aldo coasted because he put a devastating hurt on Hominick and gassed trying to finish the alien off. Aldo didn't have the heart of Ripley that night.

Regardless, if we are going to really talk P4P.

Mine is:

1. GSP
    2. Aldo
    3. Silva
    4. Jones
    5. Barao

No, I don't need a condescending lecture on what P4P is, but some may.

Barao is moving quickly up my list. That dude is a killer!

Greg Jackson takes positives from Jon Jones encounter with Alexander Gustafssonhttp://www.mmafighting.com/2013/9/23/4763838/greg-jackson-takes-positives-from-jon-jones-encounter-with-alexander
    When asked if Jones’ foot injury may have played a role in some of the unexpected aspects of the fight -- such as not being able to secure takedowns and getting taken down himself for the first time in his career -- Jackson said that played less a factor than did Gustafsson's game plan.

"We could play that game, maybe, maybe not, but I think that Gustafsson just came in had a great plan and executed it really well and I think the credit should really go to him," he said. "I think he was just able to shut down those takedowns. We need to be better and evolve our set-ups to be better fighters. But I think the credit should go to Alex."

Jones went to the hospital after the fight on a stretcher, and, though his foot was the major concern, most the other injuries appear superficial. Jones had notable swelling on his face and some lacerations. We've never seen him in anyt other condition other than "near mint" leaving a fight before Saturday night.

And though the outcome was the expected one,with Jones holding off the Swedish challenger, the way it got done wasn’t. Gustafsson proved himself to be a formidable opponent for Jones, which surprised just about everybody who watched it.

Jackson said he wasn’t among them.

"Just because I’ve been in the corner so many, so many times, I’ve seen it happen where everybody says there’s no way this guy is going to win, there’s no way, and then he goes in there and gives a great battle and makes it a great competitive fight," Jackson said. "So, I wasn’t shocked at all. I know Alexander’s great, I’ve studied him a lot. It wasn’t like terribly shocking.

"Certainly I wanted it to be a lot more one-sided than it was, but no I wasn’t shocked or anything like that. It’s just too many years and god knows how many corners I’ve been in, I’ve been in too much to be like, my goodness, what’s happening?"

Jackson said that he doesn’t have a preference as to whether or not Gustafsson-Jones II is booked, or who Jones faces next. He noted that a second fight with Gustafsson was inevitable, though, and that there are a lot of things to fix heading into that fight.

"Oh yes, a lot of things, for sure," he said. "Just because you learn so much. It was a great educational experience in a lot of positive ways. You really got to see that Jon’s got a great jaw, and Jon’s got heart, there’s a lot of positives to come out of it. And then the technical deficiencies we have we’re going to correct and overcome and figure out. It was a really good thing to have happened because it gives us a blueprint of where we want to go and how we can improve."

Noting that Jones has established himself as polarizing figure so young in his career, Jackson pointed out that his champion’s not the first to fit uneasily into his own times.

"When you look back at history, and look back at the bigger picture, I like to use [Muhammad] Ali a lot because he went through similar things," Jackson said. "There were a lot of people who, especially when Ali put on some of his best performances, were screaming about it and angry about it. In hindsight those people respect Ali now, and I think that Jon’s going to go through a similar thing.

"I mean, a war like that and coming out on top. It shows his spirit, it shows his tenacity, it shows his heart -- I mean, everything that people should admire about what fighters should be inspired by was exemplified in that."

Jackson said that he doesn’t know yet Jones’ timetable for a return to the cage, but he had his druthers, he’d prefer Jones take some time off.

"I’d like him to let his body heal up and get some rest and let his head heal up, and then slowly get back at it again," he said. "But that’s up to his management and Dana [White] and everybody in the UFC as to when he’s fighting again. If my preference mattered, I’d like to see him get some rest."

Jon Jones vs. Alexander Gustafsson 2: UFC odds and betting lines see 'Bones' open as -400 favorite
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/24/47...es-rematch-mma

Conspiracy Theory Alert: People believe FightMetric altered the UFC 165 stats by 54% to favor Jon Jones

http://middleeasy.com/fighting/item/...avor-jon-jones

So immediately after UFC 165 I received emails and tweets about FightMetric allegedly altering fight stats in favor of Jon Jones. Initially I thought nothing of it, and days later my opinion still hasn't changed. However since people have been abuzz about this entire 'FightMetric UFC 165 conspiracy,' I thought it was only fair that it make MiddleEasy -- as every appropriate MMA conspiracy theory has in the past.

The root behind this conspiracy theory is actually two-fold. A site called 'MMAPlanet' claims that FightMetric actually skews their statistics pretty frequently, but only if a UFC bout meets the following guidelines (quoted directly from the site):
    At 100% of the times the difference has been huge it has been during controversial decisions.
    The change has always favored the winner in a controversial decision.
    The winner in the controversial decisions we have noticed has always been American
    The fights we have noticed have always been american vs foreign fighter
    Judges have been American judging from their names

So it's clear that at the very heart of this FightMetric conspiracy theory is a strong claim that stats are altered to favor American fighters. Interesting.

A phone screen cap has also been floating around the internet showing the finals stats of the main event of UFC 165 with Jon Jones winning the unanimous decision, but Alexander Gustafsson significantly out-striking him.
    * Follow link for pics, cant copy them for some reason.

Now a photo of the final, or 'edited,' stats show that Jon Jones had more strikes than Alexander Gustafsson, leading some people to believe that FightMetrics removed 77 strikes from Gustafsson and added 17 to Jon Jones, representing a 54% shift in strike statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Again, Aldo beating Edgar is the equivalent of Cain dropping down to LHW to face Jones, and then losing.
    Aldo beating Florian is the equivalent of Struve dropping down to LHW, winning the first round, and then getting pwned.
    Just had to comment on this. I think it's an insult to consider Florian to be the equivalent of Struve. Struve will never be a # 1 contender in one of the thinner divisions in the UFC and will continue to beat guys who are hovering around the top 15. Florian rose to the top in one of the most stacked divisions. I think Florian would be closer to a Big Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Just had to comment on this. I think it's an insult to consider Florian to be the equivalent of Struve. Struve will never be a # 1 contender in one of the thinner divisions in the UFC and will continue to beat guys who are hovering around the top 15. Florian rose to the top in one of the most stacked divisions. I think Florian would be closer to a Big Foot
    Florian really impressed me on how far he was able to climb in the lw division after tuf. If there was a most improved fighter award, I would nominate him.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information