Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Jones wants to box a Klitschko

Default Jon Jones wants to box a Klitschko

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...x-a-Klitschko/

Jones says he wants to box one of the Ukrainian Klitschko brothers, Wladimir and Vital. Younger brother Wladimir, 37, the best heavyweight boxer on Earth. Wladimir is the longest reigning IBF, WBO & IBO Heavyweight Champion ever, with the most title defenses for those organizations. He also holds the non partisan Ring heavyweight title.

Older brother Vitali, 42, is at 6' 7" and inch taller, and holds the WBC Heavyweight title. Vitali came to boxing from kickboxing.

Both brothers holds PhDs in sport science, and neither has lost in over a decade. Their father was a Soviet Air Force major general, and was one of the commanders in charge of cleaning up the effects of the Chernobyl disaster, leading to friendly comparisons between the brothers and Godzilla.

Their formidable nature is apparently only an attraction to Jones.

"The thought of boxing has become way more real to me," said Jones.

"One of the Klitschko brothers," Jones said regarding a possible opponent. "It's been something I've really, really been thinking about and maybe we can entertain that in the future."

"Why not take the shot? Why not give you the chance to be great, to be a world champion in two different sports. So yeah, a lot of people may think I'm crazy for even thinking about it but the only limitations are the ones we put on ourselves and I just don't believe in limiting myself."

"I have a great chin on me, intelligence, work ethic. I believe in studying my opponents and basically if you break down your opponent and you surround yourself with the right people, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to compete with those guys. You never know, maybe even come out with a victory."

Jones concedes making the transition would take two or three years. In the mean time, he fights Alexander Gustafsson on Saturday, live on PPV.

"Phil Davis took his soul, took his heart, took his will to fight away in under five minutes," said Jones said. "He tapped out with less than 10 seconds left. I think he was being choked for only 2 seconds, so that showed me that he got claustrophobic in there, he was uncomfortable, basically his will to fight was over. That tells me a lot about his character and what type of heart he has."

"He's mentioned that he needs to stick and move and I think it does show about his psychology. I think stick and move is a psychology of the insecure fighter. It shows me he may feel inferior somewhere in his heart and if that's in there I will draw it out of him."

I also want Jones to box a Klitschko, I really want to see him get KTFO!

Hopefully it would be against Wladimir, cause he is more agressive than Vitali and would hurt Jones more.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

"He's mentioned that he needs to stick and move and I think it does show about his psychology. I think stick and move is a psychology of the insecure fighter. It shows me he may feel inferior somewhere in his heart and if that's in there I will draw it out of him."

Wait, doesn't Jon Jones also employ his own kind of 'stick and move' strategy? Staying on the outside, coming in to land a strike, and moving back out to stay out of his opponent's range?

Does it mean that other 'stick and move' fighters like Dominic Cruz, Demetrious Johnson, Machida, Anderson Silva are also insecure fighters? Last I check, they all possess either great speed, footwork that they move in, land a strike to their opponent, and jump right back out the opponent's range to keep themselves from getting hit with a strike?

As for Jones wanting to box, it's not really shocking news. Quite a few MMA fighters have shown desire to box (Rampage, Anderson Silva, Nick Diaz), coincidentally, each one happened to be a whining diva as well.

If it wasn't for his wrestling, Bones would get smoked in striking by far lesser strikers than the boxing champions.

You know how we all hate guys like Fury and Toney for just assuming they can switch sports and dominate? You know how we all thought they were disrespecting the sport we love? You know how we loathe them for being such colossal bags of dicks? I feel like we found the MMA equivalent.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

The constant MMA fighter who wants to try their hand at boxing against top of their class boxers, Jones would get murdered against the Klitschko's (either of the two).

Those who do not appreciate life, do not deserve life.

Lol Jones has no hands. He just runs and teep kicks or front kicks with the occasional jab or elbow.

Talking about stick and move, I still remember when rampage came in range to exchange he'd literally turn and run sometimes so whats that say about him?

I heard this interview live on the radio and it wasnt that bad... He said he wants to train more boxing for like 3 years and then make the move to box a Klitchko. By that time one will be 40 years old and the other 45; He didnt say it disrespectfully or anything like that, the dude just believes in his skills sets.

With that said, it could be 3 years or it could be 10 years down the line and I still think the Klitchko's would mop the floor with him.

Going to ignore the boxing aspirations and go right to the stick and move comment...

...that statement came from a guy who practically sprints across the cage when hes in any remote danger. The same guy who stays outside of the pocket and keeps moving...

I have no problem with defensive styles but Jones criticizing someone who uses almost the same style as him for using it is even more ridiculous than his desire to box.

10. Default

Forget the Klitchko's, Jones couldnt win a boxing match against either Nog brother.

Thread Information