• Randy Couture

0 0%
  • Wanderlie Silva

11 25.00%
  • other

3 6.82%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Johnny Bones the LHW GOAT?

It was also Gus's 1st ever 5 round fight. Would Gustafsson have gotten as tired and lost the last 2 rounds if he had a couple of challenging 5 round fights under his belt? Because to me the reason he got rocked and lost that 4th round in the first place is because his footwork dropped off a bit because of fatigue...and obviously he was pretty exhausted in the 5th as well. But of course he was using alot of energy the 1st 3 rounds with that footwork, but still, it's an experience he hadn't yet had and perhaps he address it can make a couple adjustments in a rematch.

I personally have always thought pretty highly of Gus. He lost to Phil very early in his career, and his since been training with that same guy...we know Phil needs work on his overall game, but you can't deny what he brings in the wrestling and overall grappling department. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a 5 round fight vs somebody before fighting Jones again. Rashad or Mousasi would be another good 5 round fight for him imo.

As far as Jones being the greatest LHW...yeah, in a way, but as others have said, he's the bigger and by far the taller man in every fight he's in (now with the exception of Gus). He still does the work to cut the weight, though.

Plus, we all know where Rampage and Shogun were at when he beat them. And he beat Vitor and Sonnen before they even had any recent fights at 205. Neither guy had ever been successful at that weight class when he fought them. He did basically own them, though.

I think beating Gus, Texiera, Cormier, and of course a Gus rematch (to me the 1st fight was a coinflip) would really solidify it and destroy any arguments against it. I hope Cormier can make the weight. You just gotta beat some newer, hungry, big challengers to really set it in stone imo
    Last edited by dbader08; 09-25-2013 at 09:47 AM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

At least beating Cormier would help his P4P ranking.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

yes. he has dominated competition at lhw (4 champions) and always finds a way to win. regardless of his physical advantages, his fight IQ is unreal and he is the greatest LHW thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    Not a very high opinion of Gus then haha
    Wow man, I don't know if I've ever disagreed with you more. I think you're selling Goose waaaaay short.
    That sounds a lot worse than it actually is. Douglas was a highly-skilled boxer with a solid chin and incredible boxing fundamentals. Douglas had defeated some true badasses on his way to Tyson- Greg Page, Trevor Berbick and future champ Oliver McCall. Also, he became unmotivated and came into the Holyfield fight 15 pounds heavier than he had against Tyson and (speculated) was beginning to battle type-2 diabetes which almost took his life a few years later.

I think Gus holds a skillset that gives Jones problems but I also feel the Phil Davis loss was no fluke. He's an awesome fighter and fun to watch. I just don't see him as a truly great fighter who would be able to not only win the title but hold it for a long period of time.

I could be proven wrong here and would absolutely relish the idea of Jones being dethroned and suffering the fate of others who have lost the title and fallen into the ranks with little or no hope of future title shots.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

I think he has been fortune to face alot of top guys on their decline. I think his build covers up alot of his holes. I do think on paper he is the best the UFC has ever had. I think a prime Chuck Liddell was tailor made to destroy a fighter like Bones. I say yes and no, but this is a way better question than the pound for pound bullshit.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

People discredit him for his size advantage a little too much imo. Yes he has had a size advantage over just about anyone he has fought but that happens in any weight class at some point in time in all combat sports but that doesn't necessarily equate to dominance. The man has pretty much cleaned out what once was THE MOST competitive division in the UFC where the champ was lucky to make it through one title defense.

On paper, I think he's definitely the GOAT at the moment. The frequency with which he's fought and beaten top name is extremely impressive. Having said that, I think last week's fight proved that it's only fight to attribute at least some of that success to the size advantage (and athletic gifts) that Jones enjoys over the majority of his opponents.

Jones' move to heavyweight will really be the most significant factor in deciding Jones' legacy. Whether he can exploit those athletic gifts in the same way seems less likely that it did before the Gus fight, and it'll be interesting to see what adjustments Jones makes in his fight style and game plans for the future.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine2878 View Post
    People discredit him for his size advantage a little too much imo. Yes he has had a size advantage over just about anyone he has fought but that happens in any weight class at some point in time in all combat sports but that doesn't necessarily equate to dominance. The man has pretty much cleaned out what once was THE MOST competitive division in the UFC where the champ was lucky to make it through one title defense.
    I agree man but he's not just a big guy that cuts down to a weight class well below his natural weight, he's also got a reach like nothing we've really seen before (and that's not factoring in his leg-length, which he uses extremely well with his front leg leg-kicks). The combination of physical size, reach, and stylistic skillset are what allow Jones to do what he does in the way he does it, not just size itself.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    That sounds a lot worse than it actually is. Douglas was a highly-skilled boxer with a solid chin and incredible boxing fundamentals. Douglas had defeated some true badasses on his way to Tyson- Greg Page, Trevor Berbick and future champ Oliver McCall. Also, he became unmotivated and came into the Holyfield fight 15 pounds heavier than he had against Tyson and (speculated) was beginning to battle type-2 diabetes which almost took his life a few years later.

I think Gus holds a skillset that gives Jones problems but I also feel the Phil Davis loss was no fluke. He's an awesome fighter and fun to watch. I just don't see him as a truly great fighter who would be able to not only win the title but hold it for a long period of time.

I could be proven wrong here and would absolutely relish the idea of Jones being dethroned and suffering the fate of others who have lost the title and fallen into the ranks with little or no hope of future title shots.
    I sort of thought when the comparison was drawn to Buster Douglas, it was due to most public opinion saying that Gustafsson was overmatched like Douglas was against Tyson.

That was part of it but I was speaking in a position of retrospect and showing that I was certainly not discrediting Gus.

I agree man but he's not just a big guy that cuts down to a weight class well below his natural weight, he's also got a reach like nothing we've really seen before (and that's not factoring in his leg-length, which he uses extremely well with his front leg leg-kicks). The combination of physical size, reach, and stylistic skillset are what allow Jones to do what he does in the way he does it, not just size itself.
    Do you think he really has great leg strength?

I thought just the opposite watching the fight. I kept thinking that if he had just a bit more Gus would have been KO'ed at least 3 separate times.

(And for the record, I still think the oblique kick is cheap regardless of who uses it and should be banned)
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information