0 0%
  • Wanderlie Silva

11 25.00%
  • other

3 6.82%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Is Johnny Bones the LHW GOAT?

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    And also on a side note riv, (and this is an honest question) wouldn't using his size and length be a skill in its own?
    Certainly, it's a skill.

But it's not one that I'd focus on when trying to determine who would be the best if all fighters were the same size.

The fact that Bones struggled with someone of similar reach is an indicator that he's not as skilled at using his length as he is as using his length advantage. The same thing happened to Anderson when he misjudged his counterstrike range against Weidman and got caught and KOd. As I anticipate Anderson adjusting for this in the rematch, Bones would do have Jackson meticulously dissect Silva's technique and try to follow the example, particularly if he's ever going to make the jump to HW.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Certainly, it's a skill.

But it's not one that I'd focus on when trying to determine who would be the best if all fighters were the same size.

The fact that Bones struggled with someone of similar reach is an indicator that he's not as skilled at using his length as he is as using his length advantage. The same thing happened to Anderson when he misjudged his counterstrike range against Weidman and got caught and KOd. As I anticipate Anderson adjusting for this in the rematch, Bones would do have Jackson meticulously dissect Silva's technique and try to follow the example, particularly if he's ever going to make the jump to HW.

rh

You can't compare Jones to Silva. Silva also enjoys a size advantage but not nearly as huge as Jones. You can obviously see Silva has way more skill than Jones. He just got clipped on a miscalculation.

Jones with his size back pedals most the fight just throwing oblique kicks and front kicks with his hand out to keep distance, and he throws the occasional jab or elbow. His striking is not good at all, just the way he keeps smaller ppl at bay with those dirty ass oblique kicks. Gus just being taller with a 76.5 reach exploited Jones horrible striking defense. I say 76.5 cuz that's what his reach has always been till he fought Jones, then it miraculously grew to 81.25 (bullshit).

Give Rashad, Machida, or Gus the same reach and its night night.

Glover has no chance in this fight other than clipping Jones in the first 2 rounds.

Not yet, Chuck and Wandy still hold the crown.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

was really surprized chuck hasnt had more votes. In my opinion you cant just look at his wins but all the time Dana had him being Tito's body guard. so actually Chuck should be credited with both strings of wins.
    never argue with a fool. people listening may not know the difference.

Can anyone with experience on ufc events help me out? I'm looking to go to ufc 166, and was curious if the tickets ever drop in price the closer to the event you get? Or should I just get the tickets now before its too late? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    Can anyone with experience on ufc events help me out? I'm looking to go to ufc 166, and was curious if the tickets ever drop in price the closer to the event you get? Or should I just get the tickets now before its too late? Thanks
    Probably best to get the tickets now. The only time they'll drop is after the event starts, that's if you don't mind dealing with scalpers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Ha I'd rather not. Appreciate it sir.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Jone's is a thinking man's fighter. That's something that you can't say about many of the champions before him, plus he has the heart and will to make the adjustments he needs to, even when he's beaten up and dead tired. Once Chuck or Wandi got hurt and/or tired it usually spelled curtains unless they hurt their opponent. I would say Jone's has a fighting IQ on par with GSP and he proved that against a guy with excellent boxing last weekend. Gus amazed me with his combinations and accurate shots, and Jones found a way to beat him at his very best. That's called a Great Champ and if he keeps doing that people will have no choice but to call him the GOAT period. I'm mixed on the Oblique kicks, I think the commissions should do a study and determine the real dangers that kick could represent. I'd hate to see a horrible accident involving someone using that kick, but hell we've seen Leg kicks break legs and roundhouse kicks break arms in the cage.....I don't think any technique is going to be safe.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    I said it before and I'll say it again. Jone's is a thinking man's fighter. That's something that you can't say about many of the champions before him, plus he has the heart and will to make the adjustments he needs to, even when he's beaten up and dead tired. Once Chuck or Wandi got hurt and/or tired it usually spelled curtains unless they hurt their opponent. I would say Jone's has a fighting IQ on par with GSP and he proved that against a guy with excellent boxing last weekend. Gus amazed me with his combinations and accurate shots, and Jones found a way to beat him at his very best. That's called a Great Champ and if he keeps doing that people will have no choice but to call him the GOAT period. I'm mixed on the Oblique kicks, I think the commissions should do a study and determine the real dangers that kick could represent. I'd hate to see a horrible accident involving someone using that kick, but hell we've seen Leg kicks break legs and roundhouse kicks break arms in the cage.....I don't think any technique is going to be safe.
    Excellent boxing? Really?

On the obliques, they're specifically engineered to do damage to the knee. I liken it to the rule about small joint manipulation...it would be specifically engineered to damage ligaments, tendons and joints. A roundhouse isn't designed to break bones, checking a leg kick isn't designed to break the tibia/fibia of the kicker. Those are accidents. Oblique kicks are designed to break down the opponents knee and make them unable to plant.

They're bullshit no matter who uses them.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information