Thread: Following back-to-back losses, UFC releases Ryan Couture

Default Following back-to-back losses, UFC releases Ryan Couture

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/0...s-ryan-couture

After migrating from the defunct Strikeforce to the UFC, lightweight Ryan Couture (6-3 MMA, 0-2 UFC) hoped to build a career in the promotion where his father was a champion and star.

But after two straight losses in the octagon, Couture's time in the UFC has, for now, come to an end. The fighter this past week received a letter releasing him from his contract, manager Sam Spira today told MMAjunkie.com.

Couture, the son of multi-time champ and UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, amassed a 6-1 record in Strikeforce and met increasingly stiff challenges when the promotion was acquired by UFC parent Zuffa in 2011. In his final three performances, he notched wins over more experienced competitors such as Conor Heun, Joe Duarte and K.J. Noons.

Shortly after moving to the UFC, the 31-year-old Couture was caught in the middle of a nasty fallout between UFC President Dana White and his father, who was banned from UFC events by White after he signed a multi-platform deal with Bellator broadcast partner Spike TV.

Cant say they didn't give him a decent chance especially considering how it was thought he was gonna be shitcanned asap because of his pop's rocky history with the UFC brass. Hope he rebounds and makes a solid career for himself.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

I bet once he has his Dad back in his corner he'll put together some wins again.
    He was given a chance to prove himself, but he got his ass smoked in the UFC.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Can't believe Ryan lost to Iaquinta. Still choked how Dana disallowed Randy from being in his son's corner. Dana may be being ruthless in his mind, though objectively the behaviour is quite childish.

There goes Tito and Randy's hookup for free tix for the 20th Anniversary show....

Quote Originally Posted by The8thPlague View Post
    I bet once he has his Dad back in his corner he'll put together some wins again.
    He was given a chance to prove himself, but he got his ass smoked in the UFC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Can't believe Ryan lost to Iaquinta. Still choked how Dana disallowed Randy from being in his son's corner. Dana may be being ruthless in his mind, though objectively the behaviour is quite childish.
    I don't believe it ever happened, at least not because the UFC refused to allow it. I remember reading an article on here, after the alleged "ban", that the commission listed Randy as a corner man, and the UFC couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything about it.

This is the only article I can find on it:
    http://www.fightline.com/fl-news-201...randy-couture/

Apparently when Ryan Couture makes his UFC debut, there won’t be an issue if his father is one of the cornerman. George Sallfeldt, president of the Swedish MMA Federation, said that the UFC has cleared all cornerman for the April show.

“We don’t have any rules about who can corner an athlete,” said Sallfeldt on Nordic MMA. “That’s up to the athlete. We talked to the UFC and they have no problems with anyone corning anyone. I don’t see any problems in this specific case.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Couture, the son of multi-time champ and UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture, amassed a 6-1 record in Strikeforce and met increasingly stiff challenges when the promotion was acquired by UFC parent Zuffa in 2011. In his final three performances, he notched wins over more experienced competitors such as Conor Heun, Joe Duarte and K.J. Noons.
    I kind of hate to hear this. I had hoped he would do well. I was always a fan of Randys, so by proxy a fan of Ryans.
    Not to side track this post, sorry Cat, or rehash an age old debate, but I can't help but think every time I read an article like this what could or couldn't have been with Fedor. There's no arguing with his record, but like fighters that are good in one organization that come to the UFC they aren't always as dominant as they were elsewhere. The UFC attracts, as well as being bought, the cream of the crop when it comes to fighters. Would Fedor have been as successful? Granted, the talent wasn't as good back when Fedor was in his prime, so I for one would say that his chances were much better then than now. Even if he was still in his prime now. Just my humble opinion...
    et noli esse incredulus sed fidelis
    “Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.” –Albert Einstein

It was only a matter of time. You know, since Dana has beef with his daddy and all...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I'm sure Dana would have overlooked the beef with Randy if Ryan had made him money... but that doesn't happen by losing...

^This, if he can put a few good wins together i'm sure he'll be back.

Thread Information