Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MMA Fighter Dies Moments Before Shooto’s Weigh-Ins in Brazil

This says something about Shooto and Japanese MMA regulations for pre-fight medicals as well as his training staff.

they should implement the system put in place for wrestling that calculates body fat and determines whats the lowest weight you can fight at.

It determines what your weight would be with 7 percent body fat and you arent allowed to cut to below that weight.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by PRONG View Post
    Maybe it's me, but shouldn't this push more support for same-day weigh-ins? I'm assuming that since it isn't in the states it won't generate much coverage stateside, which is a shame.
    I've been a staunch advocate for eliminating weight cuts for years now. It's a problem, and it's getting worse, not better. You have guys like Dolce pretending it's OK to cut 1/8 of your total mass or more as long as you follow his system, and more and more fighters are trying bigger and riskier cuts.

It's funny, BJM was commenting on Jones/Goose and he mentioned these guys are cutting 25+ lbs to get in there...which would put Jones at 230, minimum...Velasquez fights at 10lbs heavier than that. Fedor fought about 5lbs heavier than that, and so does Dan Cormier. And yet, to make the Cormier/Jones diva fight, they'd have Dan risk his life to cut down to 205, then rehydrate back up for an entirely artificial result.

I still don't get how people think that makes any type of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Agreed they'd need to make the weigh ins just prior to the bout for that that to really work.
    with a lot of logistical work going into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Weigh-in's just before the fight is a great idea but a logistical nightmare.

One fighter doesnt make weight and that fights cut on no notice to the audience.
    I think it's very do-able.

I think you need to make it clear to the fighters and the trainers that the old practice has stopped. Not only increase the penalty for each lb over the weight limit for the fighter, but have them risk suspension if they fail. On top of that, you could impact cornermen and trainers--they can be suspended from attending future events and cornering their fighters, they could lose their licenses, they could be fined as well.

Simply, you have to have a strong commitment to fighter's safety from a major AC that simply shows that the emperor hasn't had clothes for a long time. LHW champs are actually fighting at HW, MW champs are fighting at LHW, etc. it's foolishness that only persists because of a long-standing tradition of foolishness.

The biggest issue would getting UFC to commit to the change. Essentially, you'd see a lot of belts change hands...GSP would be a MW, etc. I'd take the time to add two new weight classes during the change: one at 195 and one at 225.

Kizer could come out tomorrow and say:
    Beginning July 1, 2014, the NSAC will conduct same-day weigh ins.

--Fighters will be calculated for body-fat content and assessed for hydration and electrolyte content and must be cleared by a medical team before fighting.
    --Fighters over the described limit will be fined 10% of their purse for each of the first 5lbs over the limit, and the remaining 50% for the 6th lb.
    --With the approval of their opponent, Fighters 6lbs over the described limit can still fight, although they would forfeit any show money, and would only be eligible for win bonuses and would be issued a warning.
    --Fighters getting two such warnings in a 12 month period will be suspended for no less than 12 months.
    --Training staff of a fighter 6lbs or more over the described weight limit would also be issued warnings.
    --Training staff getting 2 or more warnings in a 12 month period--for all their fighters--will be issued an initial fine of no less than $1000, with the amount increasing by $2000 for every subsequent fine in a given 12 month period.
    --Training staff who recieve 5 or more infractions in a 12 month period will have their NV license suspended by the NSAC for a 12 month period.

The first few cards, you'd need to have back-up fighters...but realistically that wouldn't be an issue. Anyone who isn't injured would be a strong candidate, as they shouldn't need a camp to make a drastic weight cut.

Theoretically, the process would get easier with time.

Quote Originally Posted by IceCold48 View Post
    they should implement the system put in place for wrestling that calculates body fat and determines whats the lowest weight you can fight at.

It determines what your weight would be with 7 percent body fat and you arent allowed to cut to below that weight.
    work with that and a simple hydration test scale-side and you're completely in business.

But again, it would be an enormous shake-up of the current system. You wouldn't be able to say "Georges has been MW champion since 2007" anymore. And it could be perceived as an embarrassment to the industry that you have guys who are 20+ more lbs cage side then their announced division weight.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 09-27-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

It's funny, BJM was commenting on Jones/Goose and he mentioned these guys are cutting 25+ lbs to get in there...which would put Jones at 230, minimum...Velasquez fights at 10lbs heavier than that. Fedor fought about 5lbs heavier than that, and so does Dan Cormier. And yet, to make the Cormier/Jones diva fight, they'd have Dan risk his life to cut down to 205, then rehydrate back up for an entirely artificial result.

rh
    To be fair, he's also cutting down to avoid a fight with his BFF Cain. But yea, I agree with what you're saying
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Default Brazilian Fighter Leandro Souza Dies Prior to Shooto 43 Weigh-ins, Event Cancelled

Brazilian Fighter Leandro Souza Dies Prior to Shooto 43 Weigh-ins, Event Cancelled

The Shooto 43 event slated for Friday in Brasilia, Brazil, has been cancelled following the death of one of the fighters slated to participate.

Shooto Brazil president and Nova Unaio head trainer Andre Pederneiras announced the cancellation a few hours after he revealed that Nova Unaio fighter Leandro “Feijao” Souza, 26, passed away prior to weigh-ins on Thursday.

Pederneiras, as of yet, has not released details of Souza’s death, other than to say it took place in the Botafogo neighborhood in Rio de Janeiro.

Botafogo chief of police, John Ismar, in a statement to Brazilian news organization UOL, said that Souza died of a stroke, but the cause of the stroke was still unconfirmed.

“It is premature to attribute the death to the effort he would have done to lose weight,” said Ismar, before adding that a stroke is uncommon in at such a young age.

Souza’s teammate, Andre Santos, told MMAFighting.com on Thursday that he believed Souza’s death was related to his weight-cutting efforts.

Santos said that Souza was asked to fight on short notice and had to lose 33 pounds in one week to meet the required weight. He indicated that Souza still had 11 pounds to lose in the 24 hours prior to weigh-ins, and was trying to shed the final two pounds when he passed out in the sauna and was rushed to the emergency room.

The Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission on Friday confirmed Souza’s death and the event’s cancellation to MMAWeekly.com.

“(Thursday) Leandro ‘Feijão’ Souza passed away prior to the weigh-in of Shooto 43. The event, which was going to be held today in Rio has been cancelled by André Pederneiras, its owner,” said commission spokesperson Caio Lemos.

CABMMA officials plan to make an official statement once they have more information regarding the circumstances surrounding Souza’s death, but clarified that the Commission had no jurisdiction over the Shooto 43 event or its fighters.

CABMMA has a strict set of rules and safety regulations in place in accordance with the International MMA Federation. In Brazil, promotions have the option of following the rules and regulations set forth by CABMMA. If they do not, then CABMMA does not regulate that promotion’s events.

Shooto Brazil has its own protocols and medical guidelines, and is therefore not a CABMMA regulated event.
    Santos said that Souza was asked to fight on short notice and had to lose 33 pounds in one week to meet the required weight. He indicated that Souza still had 11 pounds to lose in the 24 hours prior to weigh-ins, and was trying to shed the final two pounds when he passed out in the sauna and was rushed to the emergency room.
    Un-f*cking believable that a 7-day, 33 pound weight cut was even attempted. Something needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    On top of that, you could impact cornermen and trainers--they can be suspended from attending future events and cornering their fighters, they could lose their licenses, they could be fined as well.
    rh
    This. His fight team must be held accountable.

He was supposed to fight at flyweight (125 lbs) and was 33 lbs over to start his cut (158 lbs). By my calculations, that means he was attempting to lose 26.4% of his body mass. I don't have a word in my vocabulary to express how misguided this attempt was. That shit is criminal.
    Last edited by trustkill; 09-27-2013 at 07:26 PM.

I think it's very do-able.

I think you need to make it clear to the fighters and the trainers that the old practice has stopped. Not only increase the penalty for each lb over the weight limit for the fighter, but have them risk suspension if they fail. On top of that, you could impact cornermen and trainers--they can be suspended from attending future events and cornering their fighters, they could lose their licenses, they could be fined as well.

Simply, you have to have a strong commitment to fighter's safety from a major AC that simply shows that the emperor hasn't had clothes for a long time. LHW champs are actually fighting at HW, MW champs are fighting at LHW, etc. it's foolishness that only persists because of a long-standing tradition of foolishness.

The biggest issue would getting UFC to commit to the change. Essentially, you'd see a lot of belts change hands...GSP would be a MW, etc. I'd take the time to add two new weight classes during the change: one at 195 and one at 225.

Kizer could come out tomorrow and say:
    Beginning July 1, 2014, the NSAC will conduct same-day weigh ins.

--Fighters will be calculated for body-fat content and assessed for hydration and electrolyte content and must be cleared by a medical team before fighting.
    --Fighters over the described limit will be fined 10% of their purse for each of the first 5lbs over the limit, and the remaining 50% for the 6th lb.
    --With the approval of their opponent, Fighters 6lbs over the described limit can still fight, although they would forfeit any show money, and would only be eligible for win bonuses and would be issued a warning.
    --Fighters getting two such warnings in a 12 month period will be suspended for no less than 12 months.
    --Training staff of a fighter 6lbs or more over the described weight limit would also be issued warnings.
    --Training staff getting 2 or more warnings in a 12 month period--for all their fighters--will be issued an initial fine of no less than $1000, with the amount increasing by $2000 for every subsequent fine in a given 12 month period.
    --Training staff who recieve 5 or more infractions in a 12 month period will have their NV license suspended by the NSAC for a 12 month period.

The first few cards, you'd need to have back-up fighters...but realistically that wouldn't be an issue. Anyone who isn't injured would be a strong candidate, as they shouldn't need a camp to make a drastic weight cut.

Theoretically, the process would get easier with time.
    i think we need to use this as a template and start an online petition to send to UFC and NSAC. with enough signatures we might get some attention.

my attempt to put RH's stuff in quotes failed miserably.
    Last edited by rivethead; 09-27-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: quote format, and thank you

Quote Originally Posted by cjamis000 View Post

my attempt to put RH's stuff in quotes failed miserably.
    Try this: Put the word "QUOTE" in brackets. Then paste the quoted message followed by "/QUOTE" in brackets. I've given an example below, but with parentheses, since if I used brackets you'd just get an empty box.

(QUOTE) Insert quoted message here. (/QUOTE)

*Use brackets like this [QUOTE]
    Last edited by trustkill; 09-27-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    Un-f*cking believable that a 7-day, 33 pound weight cut was even attempted. Something needs to be done.

This. His fight team must be held accountable.

He was supposed to fight at flyweight (125 lbs) and was 33 lbs over to start his cut (158 lbs). By my calculations, that means he was attempting to lose 26.4% of his body mass. I don't have a word in my vocabulary to express how misguided this attempt was. That shit is criminal.
    Absolutely sickening.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

33 fucking lbs in 7 days? That staggers the mind. I hate to speak ill of the dead... But that guy should have said no. His trainers should have stopped him, and the organization shouldn't have even asked. I agree with same day weigh ins, since I started watching ufc events its always been crazy that guys are allowed to drop and regain 20 lbs to fight.

But if you are broke.......
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Thread Information