Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC releases Yushin Okami

Default UFC releases Yushin Okami

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...r-yushin-okami

In one of the most unbelievable releases since Jon Fitch, the UFC has decided to release Japanese middleweight contender Yushin Okami.

Okami, a former middleweight title challenger, is 3-1 in his last four fights. He beat stars like Alan Belcher and Hector Lombard in that time, but lost his most recent bout to current contender Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza.

Okami has long been one of the staples of the 185-pound division. Debuting back at UFC 62, Okami went 13-5 in the company against some of the top fighters in the world.

2. Default

Wow, I'm surprised he got cut. He was 3-1 in his last 4(2 of those wins are over Lombard and Belcher) and ranked #6 in the UFC's MW rankings.

Meanwhile, Bisping is 2-2 and talking about getting a title-shot with a win over Munoz :/
    ------------------

dimerules28 Guest

Idk if i think he shouldve been cut, but i see why. He was a pretty boring fighter and not very marketable. Out with the old and in with the new.

He should have been left to gatekeep. Welcome to wsof

This cut makes absolutely no sense. If Okami has to go then they really need to into the finer details of their company. Because I honestly don't think Bisping beats either Munoz or Lombard or Souza. Then even though I love Leben.. if Okami is getting cut they need to get realistic.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

Maybe he asked to be released.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Most likely. He would be more marketable fighting in ONE FC.
    He's always been a top 10 MW, being a consistent fighter with 13-5 record.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    That's the only thing that makes sense to me. He's not the most exciting fighter in world but I remember Dana once called him "the best fighter to ever come out of Japan."

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

He was the mw equivalent of Fitch, so I'm not surprised that he got cut but more that its only after one loss.

Regardless if he asked to be released, I don't like this move. But if he did want to fight elsewhere, I hope he has great success wherever he ends up. He's a damn good fighter and can be a champion in any other promotion.

I get trimming the roster size, but releasing someone with Okami's pedigree (if he didn't ask for it) isn't a good move. I've never heard him speak ill of any aspect of the UFC.

Thread Information