Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC releases Yushin Okami

Outside of Khalidov, Okami utterly moonwalks through every MW not in the UFC. Hell, I have him still beating over 90% of the UFC's MW division.

Today, I have Okami beating Costa, Carmont, MAYBE Bisping, Kennedy, Wand, Le, Leites, Tavares, Craig, Markes, Frankin, Larkin, Leban, Camozzi, Ring, Hall, Watson, Natal, Lawlor, Herman, Dolloway and anybody lower ranked, and that's not even factoring in the major names he's already beaten.

Dana's "roster is stacked" comment is a crock when you look at the slew of those names above(and that's only the MWs) and how many are going utterly nowhere in the division.

One could argue that Dana doesn't want a guy like Okami to play constant spoiler to guys who have momentum, as he's such a neutralizing fighter, that he can suck the wind out of the sails of a Belcher or Lombard or Munoz, while contendership-wise Okami is probably never going to crack the top five again. But from that, there are so many guys who have shitty records on the roster right now who have nowhere near the technical acumen and overall talent, I'm not to impressed with this move.

I wonder if this move has anything to due with the Bisping injury? I could see him turning down a short-notice matchup against Munoz and that pissing Dana off to cut him, but if that is the case, we'll hear about it down the line....

A bit more surprising than Jon Fitch's release given that Yushin was 3-1 in his last 4 with wins over guys like Belcher and Lombard compared to Fitch's 1-2-1, makes less money than Jon Fitch, is in a less stacked division than WW, and is wayyy less outspoken about the UFC than Fitch.

If he plays spoiler, then don't match him up with contenders. They did that to Fitch right after he lost to GSP (Gono, Thiago, Pierce and Saunders).

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post

One could argue that Dana doesn't want a guy like Okami to play constant spoiler to guys who have momentum, as he's such a neutralizing fighter, that he can suck the wind out of the sails of a Belcher or Lombard or Munoz, while contendership-wise Okami is probably never going to crack the top five again. But from that, there are so many guys who have shitty records on the roster right now who have nowhere near the technical acumen and overall talent, I'm not to impressed with this move.

I wonder if this move has anything to due with the Bisping injury? I could see him turning down a short-notice matchup against Munoz and that pissing Dana off to cut him, but if that is the case, we'll hear about it down the line....

Makes you really wonder.

There must be more too this than a stacked roster.

WSOF and Bellator should be tripping over themselves trying to sign Okami.

I doubt he would turn down a rematch with Munoz. Okami had always been a gamer and he handled Munoz rather easily the first time. But I think it is more of a Fitch situation, a boring fighter who on any given night can knock off any contender.

But hey here is Okami, the future Bellator MW champion.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

I doubt he would turn down a rematch with Munoz. Okami had always been a gamer and he handled Munoz rather easily the first time. But I think it is more of a Fitch situation, a boring fighter who on any given night can knock off any contender.

But hey here is Okami, the future Bellator MW champion.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Ridiculous move.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I'm no doctor, and probably not even particularly smart...

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Ideally, Okami wouldn't have necessarily had to turn down Munoz, but maybe some reorganization of the Kennedy/Machida/Munoz match ups..... Again, just a thought, probably just a coincidence(he did just get KO'd by Jacare), but the release coming the same day as the rebooking due to Bispings injury just struck me as odd.

Rediculous. With his record and coming off of only one loss? Pretty surprising... There are plenty of dead weights in that division that should have gone first IMO. How do you release someone in the top ten that's 3-1 in their last 4, and then simply reply the roster is stacked? Just reiterates that the ufc is sports entertain, and more about the money then the competition. Or maybe I'm just upset because I was a fan... I dunno.

Here is what I don't get and this is just my opinion with no stats to back it.... I would have to argue that there are way more MMA fans in Japan as opposed to lets just say in the UK where UFC is heavily invested. So why cut a guy that can bring more fans to Japan shows when the UFC goes there? I wonder if the UFC is going to turn their cheek to the Japanese market for some reason and focus it somewhere else
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/27/47...r-yushin-okami
    Dana White explains decision to release 'gate keeper' Yushin Okami

His explanation:

"He's been with us forever. He was always a tough guy and was right up there, but it's almost like he'd become a gatekeeper. I like Okami, and you've heard me say this many times, that a win over Yushin Okami meant something. But, he was never able to get over the hump and win one of those [significant] fights. We have a lot of guys coming in and I've been saying this all year: We have a full roster and there are guys who deserve opportunities. When you bring guys in, someone has to go. That's why these fights are so meaningful."

White also noted on Twitter that Okami can work his way back to the promotion, he'll just have to put together a winning streak elsewhere.

*Never able to get over the hump and win one of those significant fights... So they cut Okami for not being able to win a significant fight yet they continue to promote guys like Bisping like they are legit threats to the title.

Thread Information