Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: UFC releases Yushin Okami

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    It's so weird, I personally think Okami is near the prime of his career. It may just be me, but it seems like he is improving every fight. I was extremely surprised when he was able to take down Lombard.. It's just that when you consistently face top 10 opponents, you are bound to lose. Jacare is no joke, he could very well be the new mw champion by next year.
    I'd be honestly happy to be wrong here. But I keep thinking of the Buddy *Roberts fight - where he was getting worked in the stand up and had to return to the ground game. Overall, I think his chin is fading, his standup is failing to improve defensively, and his ground game is becoming predictable against the top fighters with gameplans (exclude one of my favorites, Belcher, from that for the obvious reasons).

And totally agreed that a lost to Jacare shouldn't be the tipping point in assessing his career. That dude is increasingly scary!
    Last edited by AnchorPunch; 09-29-2013 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Typed Buddy Holly fight. Ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Either that or some cooter-crabs.
    It's gonna be a good weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Um the sport is called MMA, not UFC
    When did I said the opposite thing?

The UFC has been a business since day 1. This is news to you?
    No, that is why I said "This only confirms once again what everybody already knows"
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I don't think this is as bad a move as some other guys have suggested. If Okami is coming towards the final run of his career, then why not remain active outside of the UFC, win a title over in Japan or elsewhere (I'm sure Bellator or even BAMMA will be clamouring to get their hands on him), and make a tonne of money to lead him into retirement.

White made a good point, Okami has become a gate-keeper for the division, and when you combine that with a technically-impressive but not fan-friendly style, and a bulging roster, it isn't much of a surprise that Okami has been given his walking papers.

I think Okami might get some impressive victories against lesser competition, maybe win a title, and will close out his career back in the UFC.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Dan, I know you're a big fan, but if there is a MW gatekeeper in the UFC, it's been Bisping...for years now.

Okami didn't get cut for being a gatekeeper. He didn't even get cut for being on the decline. He got cut because he's a guy who just goes out and does his job, he doesn't talk shit, he doesn't seek attention, he just goes out and fights. He's a top 5-7 talent that isn't controversial enough for the UFC...and worse, he's able to beat more charismatic guys and that would mess up the zuffa marketing machine.

And it's all about the zuffa marketing machine. It's not about talent, it's about sales.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Dan, I know you're a big fan, but if there is a MW gatekeeper in the UFC, it's been Bisping...for years now.

Okami didn't get cut for being a gatekeeper. He didn't even get cut for being on the decline. He got cut because he's a guy who just goes out and does his job, he doesn't talk shit, he doesn't seek attention, he just goes out and fights. He's a top 5-7 talent that isn't controversial enough for the UFC...and worse, he's able to beat more charismatic guys and that would mess up the zuffa marketing machine.

And it's all about the zuffa marketing machine. It's not about talent, it's about sales.

rh
    I hate that you're right...

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post

rh
    I agree except for the fact that UFC has been making Japan a regular stop the last couple of years and you'd think it'd be worth hanging on to a guy that would be marketable there. With Akiyama and Kid Yamamoto constantly shitting the bed, at least Yushin would give the Japanese fans something to cheer about! I guess not! And when you look at who they've been slotting in on the bottom portion of pay-per-views lately, I really question getting rid of recognizable top ten talent. I hope it works out well for Yushin and he cuts a good deal to close his career.

WSOF Executive VP Offers Yushin Okami a Home in Their Organization via Twitter
    http://content.screencast.com/users/...09-28_0030.png

8. Default

UFC is a business. I'm confused how this is still an issue.
    There are many paths to freedom....not all are peaceful.

It's his fighting style. You cannot deny this. Okami is being pushed to develop a standup game.

I see Okami going to ONE FC or WSOF. Yes, Okami is a top 5 MW still. Yes, the move is terribly inept if you look at his skill level rather than his marketability. But, Okami vs. Weidman is probably something the UFC doesn't want to see down the road unless Yushin improves his vertical game.

Yushin doesn't need wrestling lessons from Chael; Okami needs lessons on how to appeal to the American audience.

Thread Information