Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: UFC releases Yushin Okami

A gatekeeper?! Okami has been in the top 5 ranked ufc middle weights for the longest time. Even with his loss to souza he is still probably top 5, top 10 at the least. I get that dana hated fitch, but this is much more shocking of a release imo. I don't understand it at all, especially considering all the loose fat that occupies the mw division that could have been cut instead.

Wow this is really unexpected. I do not know if he broke some important rule or what, because otherwise it is really senseless to cut him.
    He has been and he is still in the Top 10, he is 3-1 in his last 4 boutsand he is a very good fighter.

Bellator and WSOF must be really happy now. A Schlemenko vs Okami would be nice.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Bellator and WSOF must be really happy now. A Schlemenko vs Okami would be nice.
    I'd rather see him go to WSOF and challenge the winner of their MW tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Its a business decision. Okami is a good fighter but he doesn't make the UFC any money. Fighters like Bisping won't get cut because he makes them money from UK fans. And also cutting Okami means they can afford 4 or 5 'up and coming' fighters.

i like Okami and hope he continues to win. Can't believe no ones done this yet so- "Yushin Okami thank you, Yushin Okami thank you!" Still cracks me up lol
    Favourites- Fedor, Randy, the Nogs, Renzo, Bas, Hunt, Igor Vovchanchyn, Lesnar, Chael, Jennum, Matt Brown, Taktarov, Pat Barry, Bam Bam Dewees, Hamill, Cro Cop, Cormier, Te Huna, Maia, Mousasi

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Maybe he asked to be released.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Most likely. He would be more marketable fighting in ONE FC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I wonder if this move has anything to due with the Bisping injury? I could see him turning down a short-notice matchup against Munoz and that pissing Dana off to cut him, but if that is the case, we'll hear about it down the line....
    Seems a stretch to think Okami was the body Zuffa was looking for to headline a card in England. Especially coming off a loss. I think he just got Fitch'd, but anything's possible.
    Last edited by trustkill; 09-27-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    Seems a stretch to think Okami was the body Zuffa was looking for to headline a card in England. Especially coming off a loss. I think he just got Fitch'd, but anything's possible.
    One FC, didnt even think of them but apparently they are making big moves this year.

Quite stupid move by UFC. Yes, business wise it's probably a good move by them, if they aren't planning on going to Japanese market. But on every other level it just screams stupid if Okami didn't ask for it.

Dana's comments only makes it worse. Our roster is stacked is such a bullshit comment as is his comment about getting a winning streak somewhere else. The guy is coming off a one loss, and you kick him out so he can get a winning streak somewhere else? Hell, he could have gotten a winning streak in the UFC against the talentless bums they still have in the roster.

Just shows again how little respect Dana has for his employees. At least he didn't call him boring.
    Favourite fighters: Mark Hunt, Tom Niinimäki and Anton Kuivanen

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    http://www.mmamania.com/2013/9/27/47...r-yushin-okami
    Dana White explains decision to release 'gate keeper' Yushin Okami

*Never able to get over the hump and win one of those significant fights... So they cut Okami for not being able to win a significant fight yet they continue to promote guys like Bisping like they are legit threats to the title.
    LOL I dont even know what to say.. I'm awed by this retarded move. 95% of that division couldnt beat Okami it just makes no flippin sense to me. Maybe because a few fighters plan on moving down or up to Middleweight? It still doesn't make sense. Thunder is a beast.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

yeah...you fanboys keep clinging to the idea that dana is a good businessman. fire legitimate talent who isn't breaking your bank. but by all means, keep guys like Hardy till he's too sick to lose against a top 20 fighter. Keep Leonard Garcia until he destroys and then re-destroys his own record of losing consecutive bouts.

keep catering to the ignorant masses who only want to see a guy stand in the pocket and bang. that's going to pay huge dividends in the future.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    yeah...you fanboys keep clinging to the idea that dana is a good businessman. fire legitimate talent who isn't breaking your bank. but by all means, keep guys like Hardy till he's too sick to lose against a top 20 fighter. Keep Leonard Garcia until he destroys and then re-destroys his own record of losing consecutive bouts.

keep catering to the ignorant masses who only want to see a guy stand in the pocket and bang. that's going to pay huge dividends in the future.

rh
    Seriously, even if we go by the stupid draw aspect.. who the hell pays to see hardy and leonard fight now days? I guess they probably get payed less, but that is because yushin is a god damn beast and they are bums. Maybe I am completely wrong, but I was under the impression that yushin was at least a decent draw. This decision just makes zero sense to me, their middle weight division finally starts to look like it is getting some action and depth, then they go and cut a top 5 fighter for no fucking reason.

Thread Information