Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: UFC releases Yushin Okami

I'll be interested to hear what Meltzer has to say on the matter, he usually gets good scoops.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    Seriously, even if we go by the stupid draw aspect.. who the hell pays to see hardy and leonard fight now days? I guess they probably get payed less, but that is because yushin is a god damn beast and they are bums. Maybe I am completely wrong, but I was under the impression that yushin was at least a decent draw. This decision just makes zero sense to me, their middle weight division finally starts to look like it is getting some action and depth, then they go and cut a top 5 fighter for no fucking reason.
    I think Hardy's done, he's got some derivative of Parkinsons or something. Garcia is fighting for a small org I can't remember. I don't hate Leonard, he seems like a nice enough guy, but if you go back to WEC, you could have arguably had him on something close to a 10 fight losing streak before zuffa finally cut him.

Yushin made something like 100k with a win...but I think that's baseline for a top 5 fighter. I think the issue is he was a spoiler for guys the UFC was looking to bank on like Belcher and Lombard, and would have been another loss on Bisping's record if they ever fought.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I think Hardy's done, he's got some derivative of Parkinsons or something. Garcia is fighting for a small org I can't remember. I don't hate Leonard, he seems like a nice enough guy, but if you go back to WEC, you could have arguably had him on something close to a 10 fight losing streak before zuffa finally cut him.

rh
    Hardy's condition is called Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome, which is a form of heart disorder that concerns bad blood flow to ventricles.

ehhh.... nothing personal. UFC cuts him now and asks him back in a year or two, no big deal. this is one of those decisions that can possibly end up being good for both the ufc and okami.

I think they're betting that Okami is on the decline of his career. I think it was an early cut, but I think he's going to perform worse outside of the UFC than folks expect.

Quote Originally Posted by explodingbunny View Post
    ehhh.... nothing personal. UFC cuts him now and asks him back in a year or two, no big deal. this is one of those decisions that can possibly end up being good for both the ufc and okami.
    It will not happen, they are simply not interested in Okami at all because he is not a big draw but they have to pay him good money because he is a Top fighter.

Dana's explanation is very stupid really. His excuse for cutting him is basically because he will never be a champion and he does not win the really big fights. LOL in that case why he has not cut Chael Sonnen?? Oooh right! Because unless Okami, Sonnen is a big draw and brings money to UFC.

In few words, this only confirms once again what everybody already know: UFC is first and foremost a business. The sport aspect is way behind.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

If not wanted/requested by Yushin , this is a completely cunt move by Dana and Co. Of the classic divisions MW has the least stand outs and name fighters and and is by no means "stacked". Okami is valuable for the Asian market and MMA landscape altogether. His record , especially recently , is damn decent and gatekeepers are a useful divining rod to see where other fighters stand and if they're ready for top competition or maybe a title shot. This is purely attacking the less-appealing-to-the-masses style YO employees. If GSP wasn't able to string together so many wins and be so marketable he would be out on his ass as well , considering his style since Serra and the KTFO heard round the world.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Not sure why anyone would ever want to fight in the UFC lol either get into entertaining brawls and give up your body to be for sure entertaining enough to stick around if you can at least win here and there, or be one of the best fighters in the world which is obviously really hard.

Plus, as Rivet pointed out, even if you are doing enough, some people just aren't smart enough to realize it. Very few people are stupid enough to enjoy Leonard Garcia's brawling, untechnical, unskilled style. Not sure how stupid Dana thinks the general public is.

Get sick of Dana playing favorites. Kisses the guy in my sig's ass after the Barnett stoppage when Frank's been put out cold over and over again (and the same thing would have happened), yet says Wineland-Barao was just. I'm not saying either was unjust, but at least Wineland didn't fall flat on his face. Then takes his frustration out by shitting on the ref in the Mir fight. Says since it was a co main event that the ref should have let it go on a bit longer lol. Well guess what fatty, Wineland-Barao was also a co main, and a title fight, and they are Bantamweights, not fucking Heavyweights. Wineland also doesn't have a history of getting his ass brutally beat a few times. He says so much dumb shit.
    Last edited by dbader08; 09-28-2013 at 04:21 PM.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

A dumb move by the UFC in the sporting aspect. I honestly think he was commanding too much money. Mad he should. He can probably make more fighting in Japan and become a champ. Then the UFC can pay him a ton of money for a champ vs champ fight.

The idea of them getting rid of him for being too good of a gatekeeper also makes a lot of sense. Either way, Dana White is still a jackass. I'm on the die hard side of the fan spectrum and I have no idea who half of the guys on the upcoming cards are. And some of the ones I know aren't that impressive.

And CB should have been cut after his win over Miller.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    I think they're betting that Okami is on the decline of his career. I think it was an early cut, but I think he's going to perform worse outside of the UFC than folks expect.
    It's so weird, I personally think Okami is near the prime of his career. It may just be me, but it seems like he is improving every fight. I was extremely surprised when he was able to take down Lombard.. It's just that when you consistently face top 10 opponents, you are bound to lose. Jacare is no joke, he could very well be the new mw champion by next year.

Thread Information