Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coach: Gustafsson probably the best boxing in MMA

Default Coach: Gustafsson probably the best boxing in MMA

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...boxing-in-MMA/

Alexander Gustafsson’s trainer and Alliance MMA head coach Eric Del Fierro recently apeared on Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show for a wide-ranging interview.

“I think it’s the whole evolution of his game that helped him not allow Jones to set his takedowns up," said Del Fierro. "His boxing is bar none probably the best in the sport right now. You hit these little short angles that people aren’t noticing, it’s a lot harder to take these guys down. Wrestling in MMA, sometimes it’s predictable. We can see certain things that we can counter and build Alex’s defense on, but he’s such a phenomenal athlete and just a hard worker that even if he doesn’t have the perfect technique, he’ll work his way out of it. And more than anything, it’s just the confidence in knowing, ‘OK, I know how to stuff the takedown. I just need to go in there and do it.’”

“The confidence came to us from stopping the takedowns. The main thing we had to get in Alex’s head is once you stop the takedowns, you can do whatever you want and let’s pressure forward. That’s what we were looking to get in Alex’s mind. Trust me, Alex has evolved as a mixed martial artist and his wrestling has came up leaps and bounds. … We established our range. We established our rhythm. We know where we have our advantages. Now once we stop the takedowns, let’s go forward and grind this guy. I knew we had a definite advantage in the boxing. The cut, it’s not an end-all to the fight. We just knew we’ve got to keep the pressure on and go forward now.”

“One thing we had to take away right away was [Jones’] ability to maintain the range with push kicks and just let him know that, hey, no matter what, you’re in a fight. Whether you’re winning or losing, you’re going to be in a fight. That’s what we were trying to do. I think fighting is the ability to take the other person off their game a little bit, even if it’s for a couple of seconds out of each round. We were just trying to establish a rhythm, establish a pace and keep Jones from being offensive. We were trying to be first on everything.”

It's good, very good, but I don't agree.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I thought that was James Toney?

Seriously tho' Gustafssons boxing is very good. Actually it's awsome.
    The best? I'd rate Nick Diaz and Conner Mcgregor up there.

Junior Dos Santos comes to mind.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without blinking I bitch slapped him right across the face and grabbed him and yelled, "You go out there and beat his ass!!!" Nate "The Rock" Quarry.

"Shit just got real here in the Max!" Michael "The Voice" Schiavello at K-1 World Max Rd of 16 2010, Zambidis vs. Chahid.

JDS comes to mind first, but I'm not a boxing aficionado. However, seeing textbook boxing and use of distance stifle someone like Jones is so exciting, I don't really care. It really shakes up the approach to the division, and I think it affects the betting line for Glover Texeira
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

very very good boxing.
    Best in MMA is very subjective.
    *note: a lot say JDS-Nobody that get pummelled like him has the best boxing*

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Definately JDS is up there in the heavyweight div' but he doesnt thow as quick and relaxed as some of the other guys mentioned.

I assume I must irrationally believe Goose's trainer now.

When Eddie Alvarez doesn't get into a brawl, I would say his boxing is at the top.

To me, JDS and Anderson are better boxers. Nick Diaz has very good offensive boxing, but he eats tons of punches aswell.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Thread Information