Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Maia vs. Shields winner in 'good position' in UFC's welterweight division

1. Default Dana White: Maia vs. Shields winner in 'good position' in UFC's welterweight division

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...eight-division

RIO DE JANEIRO – While there's limited buzz surrounding next Wednesday's UFC Fight Night 29 main event between Demian Maia and Jake Shields, UFC President Dana White believes a lot is at stake going into the welterweight matchup.

"It's a big fight," White told a small group of reporters on Sunday in Rio de Janeiro. "It's a fun fight, too. These guys are stylistically matched up very well."
    Maia (18-4 MMA, 12-4 UFC) last headlined a UFC event when he fought Anderson Silva for the middleweight title in April 2010. And Shields (28-6-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) most recently topped a card a little more than two years ago with a loss to Jake Ellenberger at UFC Fight Night 25. But now they will come together for a five-round clash inside Jose Correa Arena in Barueri, Sao Paulo, Brazil.

The event airs on FOX Sports 1 with some preliminary card action set to stream on Facebook.

With divisional kingpin Georges St-Pierre scheduled to put his title on the line against Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 next month, the 170-pound weight class is waiting to see if "Rush" will reign supreme or if a new champion will be crowned.

Regardless of who comes out the victor, no clear-cut No. 1 contender has been established to challenge St-Pierre or Hendricks, which only elevates the importance of a good showing for Maia and Shields.

Maia enters the fight with an undefeated record since dropping to the welterweight division in mid-2012. The Brazilian has dominated increasingly difficult competition and will look to earn his second UFC title shot when he competes in front of his hometown crowd.

Shields also is undefeated in his past three fights, though he has fluctuated between weight classes until finally settling on welterweight as his home earlier this year.

The 34-year-old hasn't been the most consist of competitors since joining the UFC roster, but he will have the chance to put that behind him by earning what would be his signature win with the promotion.

While White was unwilling to put a label on the fight as one that could lead the winner directly to a title shot, he does admit the better man that night will be in perfect position to receive more meaningful fights going forward.

"It's an interesting fight," White said. "The guy who wins this fight is in a good position in that weight division."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I hate seeing the words "Jake Shields" and "in a good position in that weight division" in the same sentence.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

Isn't everyone who wins in a good position? I don't see Shields getting a title shot anytime soon... Maia wins, I hope he gets a shot.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

I always felt Shields should of went to MW and challenged Anderson, I thought he had the best chance at beating Silva after watching him in Strikeforce. I think the death of his father really hurt him,much more then he let on, hopefully he is back into his dominate fighting form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

Who wants to ever see Shields get a rematch?

Does GSP Shields 2 excite anyone?

Maia stands to gain more from this fight if he wins. I don't think Shields winning gets him even a number one contender fight. He'd had to face at least two more highly ranked fighters to get anther crack at the title.

If Maia wins and can win a title eliminator, provided GSP is still champion, he'd be the first fighter (to my knowledge) to not only face both Silva and GSP but face both in title fights. That'd be a pretty interesting feat in itself. Sort of like Chael facing Silva and Jones back to back in title fights. Biggest difference being that Maia has won fights in his second division before a potential title shot.

A good position is very vague. I definitely wouldn't see the winner of this as a top contender. Maybe a fight with Matt Brown for the winner.
    "He's got big balls. I like that." -Josh Koschek on Frank Trigg's balls.

You wouldn't consider Maia a top contender?
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Does anyone really think sheilds has a chance in this? I do not.

Thread Information