Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dana White: Maia vs. Shields winner in 'good position' in UFC's welterweight division

Quote Originally Posted by RearNakedStroke View Post
    A good position is very vague. I definitely wouldn't see the winner of this as a top contender. Maybe a fight with Matt Brown for the winner.
    I already have Maia as a contender. In my eyes, if he wins this he should be 1 fight away from a title shot.

There is no chance in hell that Jake Shields will ever be in a "good position" in the UFC's welterweight division again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongan.Death.Grip View Post
    Does anyone really think sheilds has a chance in this? I do not.
    I see Maia winning but I don't think it's out of the question for Jake to win. He has very solid wrestling, unlike Story, wrestling that he used in a submission grappling role for years. It'd be tough, but he could inch his way into a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    There is no chance in hell that Jake Shields will ever be in a "good position" in the UFC's welterweight division again.
    Agreed, his style isn't winning him favor with DW. But I also don't think a win over a fairly hot and cold T-Wood should boost him up all that much, especially over a very underwhelming performance against Herman. He's rightfully out of the picture for now, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    If Hendricks beats GSP, I could see him getting a fight with Rory Mac (provided he beats Lawler) as a potential title eliminator. Especially if he were to finish Maia. Stop laughing...it could happen. Cereal, guys!

Shields is a pretty tough match up for Maia. If there is one guy in the WW division that has better submission grappling then him it would be Shields. Shields' also has underrated takedown defense. I think this fight turns into a boring kick boxing match and Shields does just enough to earn a decision. We will all bitch and moan about it the next day but the record will state Shields beat Maia.

But no, Shields would have to tear it up for a bit to get a title shot. A win over Maia will not be enough for him.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

6. Default

Shields goes from "he can beat GSP" to "he can't even beat Maia"

Oy vey!
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

I think this will be a stand up match as the ground may be too dangerous for either of them. Maia is much looser on his feet than Shields who may be the stiffest fighter in MMA history. If it does turn into a kickboxing match, Maia wins. If it goes to the ground, Shields has a better chance but I still think Maia wins.

"He ainít got to worry about retiring. When they get through with his ass, he will be retired. He will be retired fucking with them motherfuckers. They would love to fight him. This ainít no fucking boxing; ainít none of these motherfuckers scared of his ass"

If Maia wins he should get the winner of GSP vs. Hendricks. I don't think Jake Shields is in a good position in any division right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Shields is a pretty tough match up for Maia. If there is one guy in the WW division that has better submission grappling then him it would be Shields. Shields' also has underrated takedown defense. I think this fight turns into a boring kick boxing match and Shields does just enough to earn a decision. We will all bitch and moan about it the next day but the record will state Shields beat Maia.

But no, Shields would have to tear it up for a bit to get a title shot. A win over Maia will not be enough for him.
    There is no way in hell Shields has better submission grappling than Maia. At best Shields may be able to just neutralize Maia's ground game and get some takedowns. I agree that it might be a tough fight for Maia though.

Thread Information