Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dana White: Vitor Belfort is in a "weird situation" of his own creation

1. Default Dana White: Vitor Belfort is in a "weird situation" of his own creation

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/2...fight-night-32

"Weird" is one way to describe the situation that the UFC finds itself in with Vitor Belfort. It's not the description that many mixed martial arts fans would use, but it is how UFC president Dana White recently described the situation.

Speaking to the media in Brazil, White said of Belfort:

Vitor Belfort is in a weird situation in the UFC because Vitor Belfort puts himself in weird situations in the UFC. Every time a fight ends he's blowing my phone up wanting to fight that guy that just lost the fight or won that fight.

We had fights that we wanted to make for Vitor, and then Vitor has his own ideas of what Vitor wants to do. Vitor has been difficult, so it puts Vitor in a difficult position.

We wanted to do him and Tim Kennedy. He didn't want that fight. He didn't feel that Tim Kennedy deserved to fight him, whatever his reasoning was. Vitor is difficult. We have to see what happens with this fight with Vitor, and then we'll figure out where Vitor is. Vitor might win this fight and then want to fight Cain Velasquez, for Christ's sake. Who knows what Vitor wants to do?
    Belfort turned down the Kennedy fight in late July. The reasoning behind that refusal was offered by Belfort's wife and manager, Joana Prado, who said that Belfort would only fight in the middleweight weight division if it was for the title.

Instead of facing the unranked Kennedy, Belfort, the No. 2 ranked fighter in the UFC's middleweight division, will face Dan Henderson in a light heavyweight contest at UFC Fight Night 32. That fight will take place at Goiânia Arena in Goiânia, Brazil on November 9.

One thing that remains unclear, and is something that I would also call weird, is why the UFC would allow Belfort to dictate whom he fights and in what weight division, but I guess that's a question for another day.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Say what you will about his past steroid use and his trt use he has still beaten enough people to justify a title shot in my opinion. I don't blame him for not wanting to cut to 185 at his age if it will only be a detriment to his title aspirations.

He's only had one middleweight loss in like 7-8 years and that was to Anderson in a very quick fight that didn't really how what he was capable of. Yes Anderson KO/TKOd him but it was too quick to definitively prove who is the better fighter, if that makes any sense. I'm not discrediting Andersons victory, I just think Vitor is due for another chance.

3. Default

I heard vitor was only at like 38% for that silva fight too, because he had an injured toe.

I dont blame him for not wanting to fight Kennedy.. I mean who else does he have to beat to get another shot at Weidman or Silva? If he beats Henderson then ya, theres no doubt in my mind he should be fighting for a title next.
    "I AM THE PUNISHMENT OF GOD, IF YOU HAVE NOT COMMITTED GREAT SINS GOD WOULD NOT HAVE SENT A PUNISHMENT LIKE ME UPON YOU."

~ Genghis Khan

How ignorant is it to write this article and act like it's strange that he turned down a fight with Tim... and then quote - Vitor ranked #2 and Tim "an unranked fighter".... I can think of a pretty good reason right there.

Vitor continues to beat the best in the division while not getting a rematch for the title. I hope beating Hendo puts him in a title shot. A win over Tim? NO title shot.

He's beat people who were in line for a shot, beat the SF champ, yet, Bisping, who he just beat is probably closer to a title shot than Vitor.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

I dont think of it as that weird of a situation, Vitor is ranked #2 MW and wants another title shot, why risk that title shot against a unranked righter.

A fight with Dan at LHW opens more opportunities at LHW and theoretically, holds his #2 spot at MW.

I love Kennedy but taking that fight would be freaking retarded. Unranked vs. #2 in the world and Kennedy is easily the most dangerous Unranked out there.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Vitor/Jacare could have been a fun title eliminator and give Kennedy Bisbing when he's healthy so Tim can kill any chance of a title shot ever for him.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

What happens if Silva wins decisively? A trilogy? This shit is silly. If Weidman wins again, it is most certain that Belfort will be getting a title shot but it's less likely if Silva wins.

Silva should have had at least 1 fight before a rematch.The rubbish of legendary status should have been tossed out. The only reason for an instantaneous rematch is monetary, if Silva loses again after Weidman then his financial potentiality is snuffed.

While I disagree with the concept that a dominant champ somehow earns an immediate rematch after getting decisively finished and losing his belt, I'd underestimated how stupid fans are, and the legs that the whole "the win was a fluke, Anderson wasn't really trying" nonsense would get.

If I was Weidman, I'd want an immediate rematch. It's a win/win for him. He obviously thinks he can beat Anderson again. He's going to get paid better money, and if he does manage to win, he cements his status...and may well be the guy who retires Anderson Silva.

Even if he loses, he accomplished something nobody's done before. He's still young, he's got a great career ahead of himself. He's not some trumped up hype-contender [Lietes, Cote] who would drop out of the top 5 with a loss to Silva. Realistically, a single decisive win, maybe two at most, would put him right back into a rubber match.

That being said, I don't see how a win over Henderson gives Vitor anything he already doesn't have. He's already made a case for a shot at MW, but one win at LHW isn't enough to get him another shot at 205. I guess maybe if you count anything above 186 at a LHW bout his catchweight wins would count.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information