Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liddell wants to see Georges St-Pierre, Jon Jones stop playing it safe

Default Liddell wants to see Georges St-Pierre, Jon Jones stop playing it safe

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/2...r-ufc-mma-news

Liddell had some choice words for the UFC's new crop of stars.

I think some people make complaints about some of the champions playing it safe. I understand it, but I don't want to watch it. I think [Georges] St-Pierre is a great fighter. He's awesome. Jon Jones is a great fighter. I just don't like watching him {St-Pierre} play safe. And he fights safe. I mean against {Nick} Diaz he spiral rode him for half the fight. I don't like watching that.

Now, for him to able to do that to guys that are at that level is impressive. But it's not exciting to me. And the way they chose the fight. I mean 'I've been beating this guy up for four rounds, I'm still just gonna win the last round. I'm not gonna try to finish him. I'm not gonna go after him. I'm not gonna take any risks.' From a coaching standpoint and a manager's standpoint, I understand. It makes sense. It's big money now. But from a fan's standpoint, I don't want to watch it, [not] unless I think he's fighting someone that can make him fight. I actually think this next fight coming up, I'm excited, he's fighting Johny Hendricks and I think Hendricks is going to make him fight.

Back to Jones, Liddell points to the light heavyweight champion's recent title defense to Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 to make his point.

"That's exactly what happened. He had a guy that made him fight. He normally goes out and... To be able to do that to the guys he does it to and make it look easy? He makes it look easy against really good guys. That was a guy making him fight. {Jones} did really well and I thought he won the fight. Actually, I had it a draw but that's my opinion."

Liddell was then asked his take on some past comments made by Mayweather, who said in 2009:

"Man, who in the UFC as good as Floyd Mayweather? Look back to 2-3 years ago, when this all started. One of the stars in the sport, Chuck Liddell, has gone 3-4. The man has been Knocked out so many time his boss made him retire. How many times you seen Floyd Mayweather knocked out? How many times you seen Floyd Mayweather even knocked down? None."

OK, I've never seen that. I don't pay attention to that stuff. I think he's just mad because, I think in '07, he said he'd beat me in an MMA fight. I said 'come on man. I've got a 135lber (Antonio Banuelos) living at my house that he wouldn't make it out of the first round with if he fought MMA. I stand by it. In MMA, he won't make it out of the first round. I think at the time it was a testament to how big the UFC got because he was using my name to get in the press about a fight he had coming up. He was using UFC to get other fans thinking about his fight. Otherwise, why would he be talking about me?

Since then, Mayweather has gone on to become the highest paid athlete in sports. Reportedly banking a guaranteed fight purse of $41.5 million payday earlier this month for his record-breaking PPV with Canelo Alvarez. No hard feelings from Liddell.

Deservedly so. People want to say this or that. He puts people in the seats. He gets people to buy the Pay-Per-View. When it comes down to it that's what it's about. You wanna get paid? You gotta put people in the seats. He deserves it. That being said, on the 'playing it safe' thing, I don't like watching him fight because he likes to outpoint guys. Don't get me wrong, he is very talented to outpoint the guys he outpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/2...r-ufc-mma-newsI mean against {Nick} Diaz he spiral rode him for half the fight.
    Neat read but I have to pick up on this. So for the other half he stood with him and used his striking right? Sounds like a pretty good mix when half is striking half is ground.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Both GSP and Jones will never suffer the long term brain issues Chuck is gunna deal with.. Why Chuck??

They both make more money have just as impressive or better streaks...have lots of fans and uhhhh yeah they will retire healthy.. WTF is wrong with that?
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Jones finishes most of opponents, so i don't think he really plays it "safe." Then again Chuck was mostly talking about gsp, which I agree with. I still do like watching gsp fight though.

I don't think either of the two want to end up as eloquent an orator as Liddell.

And GSP and Jones want to keep their titles so they will continue fighting as they want.

And I was very impressed with GSP's performance against Diaz. Diaz is not a joke at all in the ground and GSP really schooled him. It was a very impressive performance.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    And GSP and Jones want to keep their titles so they will continue fighting as they want.

And I was very impressed with GSP's performance against Diaz. Diaz is not a joke at all in the ground and GSP really schooled him. It was a very impressive performance.
    Great point, he was probably in as much danger or more staying on the ground rather than getting TDs and then backing off and going for more.
    LJS-NEMS

He didn't say there was anything wrong with how they fight, just expressed he doesn't enjoy watching it as much. The man in entitled to his opinion. I definitely enjoyed watching pre mat Serra knockout GSP. Much exciting. I respect technical jab jab take down GSP... But I don't enjoy him as much. It's not as exciting, partially because he's so damn good at it he makes his competition look weak.

finishes are not a prerequisite for exciting fights.

I agree.

Moreover, true technical dominance is rarely truly exciting. Excitement in fighting implies a certain amount of mistakes being made on both sides that make for a back and forth battle. Someone as masterful as GSP simply won't leave those openings. I'd liken it to Lennox Lewis, Klitschko, Pernell Whitaker, etc in boxing.

Do I wish they would go for it from time to time? Yes but you have to admit that more often than not GSP's opponents are fighting more "not to lose" than trying to going for it as well.
    And the piano, it sounds like a carnival
    And the microphone smells like a beer

Thread Information