Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WSOF launches Canadian arm, heads to Vancouver for 'WSOF 7: Johnson vs. Kyle'

Default WSOF launches Canadian arm, heads to Vancouver for 'WSOF 7: Johnson vs. Kyle'

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/1...ohnson-vs-kyle

World Series of Fighting has acquired Canadian promotion Aggression Fighting Championship, and the company hosts its first event under the World Series of Fighting Canada banner on Dec. 7.

Promotion officials today announced the acquisition, as well as the scheduling of "World Series of Fighting 7: Johnson vs. Kyle" for Dec. 7 at the 5,000-seat PNE Agrodome in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

In the main event, Anthony Johnson (15-4) meets Mike Kyle (20-10-1) in a light-heavyweight affair. Additionally, the rescheduled middleweight tournament semifinal bout between Elvis Mutapcic (13-2) and Jesse Taylor (26-9) serves as the night's co-main event.

The evening's main card airs on NBC Sports Network. Additional contests are expected to be announced shortly.

"The launch of World Series of Fighting Canada is an incredibly exciting announcement for our promotion," World Series of Fighting President Ray Sefo stated. "From the beginning, we have maintained our desire to bring our elite-level mixed martial arts action to Canada and the great MMA fans that live there, as well as markets around the globe. We embrace this new division of our company that will allow us to make great strides into Canada, which has long proven to have one of the most passionate and knowledgeable MMA fan bases in the world."

Whattcha think Sniggs?

You gonna check it out or ya think its going to be gang central?

I seen Pennywise play at the Agrodome, would be a bad ass venue for some mma.

I saw QOTSA live there a couple years ago. It's pretty sketchy in the early AM there, but would be fine to go to. I'm sure there won't be much gang presence, as they are generally casual fans of big name fights. Gangs wouldn't keep me from going, as they are like a 1% minority. More gang members go to Canucks games than they do MMA events. Haha.

That's the weekend before finals for me, so I am not sure. I'm about 90% in.

I'd expect to see Tyson Steele and Chris Horodecki getting fights since its a Canadian card and companies normally like to stack the undercard with homegrown talent.

I could see names like Bosse, Penner, Doerksen, Ricci, heck maybe even Loiseau getting some love on the undercard, since none are under contract with either UFC or BFC.

Wonder what Ryan Ford's status with BFC is, haven't seen him fight there in a while and he's a damn fun fighter to watch.

What ever happened to bongfeldt?
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I saw QOTSA live there a couple years ago. It's pretty sketchy in the early AM there, but would be fine to go to. I'm sure there won't be much gang presence, as they are generally casual fans of big name fights. Gangs wouldn't keep me from going, as they are like a 1% minority. More gang members go to Canucks games than they do MMA events. Haha.

That's the weekend before finals for me, so I am not sure. I'm about 90% in.

When BFC came to the island here it was swamped with connected people. The RCMP GTF was all over the place, was quite the scene so I just assumed smaller less security mma events over there were the same.

Fed, you see any of Kajan Ragin Johnson or Ruthless Ryann Chiappe's fights? Both tried out for TUF Canada I do believe, a couple local fighters from my home town / high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    When BFC came to the island here it was swamped with connected people. The RCMP GTF was all over the place, was quite the scene so I just assumed smaller less security mma events over there were the same.
    I assume if that's what you focus on, you'll notice them. I generally get along fine with them though as I had been surrounded by those kind of people in my youth. Ghetto lyfe.

You have any interest in attending?

It sounds appealing but it is up in the air, a good buddy has a birthday bash planned up at Mount Washington.. So either snowboarding or mma.

This is something interesting. Looks like WSOF is in it for the long haul if they're making moves like this. Smart to tap into Canada. Questions for my Canadian MMA fans--was AFC a strong promotion? Do they have any type of TV presence? UFC-grade prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by trustkill View Post
    This is something interesting. Looks like WSOF is in it for the long haul if they're making moves like this. Smart to tap into Canada. Questions for my Canadian MMA fans--was AFC a strong promotion? Do they have any type of TV presence? UFC-grade prospects?
    To my knowledge, they've only been around since around 2009. They've had a some good names on their cards, Kendall was on one or two and they've had Ryan Ford, Ring, Jesse Taylor, Tim Hague, Starnes, Doerksen and many other solid fighters, if you take a look at their past cards and the potential names they may have at their disposal, there's a nice crop to work with. They developed a solid, if unspectacular brand.

There are a bevy of MMA promotions in Canada, particularly strong in the prairie provinces and Quebec...once upon a time I'd have posed that MFC probably had the most coverage with their talent and HDNet/AXS coverage, but Pavelich seems to carry a ton of heat and appears detrimental, and between their top guys like Lima and Jimmo getting called off to the big show, they've somewhat cooled off and AFC was getting more coverage on the AXS TV market as a result.

Thread Information