Thread: Alliance coach wants \Gustafsson vs. Lil Nogueira and Phil Davis vs. Gegard Mousasi

Default Alliance coach wants \Gustafsson vs. Lil Nogueira and Phil Davis vs. Gegard Mousasi

Alliance coach wants Alexander Gustafsson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Phil Davis vs. Gegard Mousasi

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/10/3/47...rd-mousasi-mma

Hey Joe Silva, go ahead and take five, Eric Del Fierro has that whole matchmaking thing under control.

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White is hoping to coordinate a future fight with Alexander Gustafsson, one that would have "The Mauler" competing (in Sweden) around the same time as the promotion's Super Bowl Weekend fight card, with the intention of keeping pace with UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones.

That way he can set up their highly-anticipated rematch for summer 2014.

That's assuming both competitors are successful their next time out. While "Bones" is trying to break Glover Teixeira, Gustafsson (15-2) is still without a date to the big dance. But in a perfect world, according to his Alliance MMA coach, he would be facing one of two top-10 contenders when the time comes to lace 'em up.

From UFC Tonight:

"I talked to their coach Eric Del Fierro and he said in a perfect world he'd like Phil Davis to fight Gegard Mousasi next. For Alexander Gustafsson, he joked he'd like to fight Jon Jones again. Gustafsson would like to fight Ryan Bader or Antonio Rogerio Nogueira next."

this could easily headline/co headline the first ufc on fox show (prob week prior to superbowl). Figure they will give Gus someone beatable to set up the rematch in the summer

Dana said earlier this week that Mousasi has had knee surgery and will be out around 5 or so months, which would exclude him from any matchup anytime soon. I've heard they're looking to book Goose with either Lil Nog or (to a lesser extent) the winner of Rashad/Sonnen for the Sweden show and then book the winner of that vs. the winner of Jones/Tex.

The idea was that ZUFFA wanted to do a rematch between Jones/Goose, but since Jones thought he won the first fight decisively after watching it several times, that he requested Teixeira, leaving the big money rematch with Goose TBD based on both fighters' next performance. Based off of that, look for ZUFFA to book Goose in a very winnable and protective fight, which probably means they won't be matching him up with Rashad and I don't see them pairing Davis/Goose since they're teammates.

I'd expect Goose/Lil Nog or maybe Bader(who is currently matched up with Perosh, but could be pulled) being booked for Sweden with the intention of it to get Goose a rematch with Bones after a win....

Phil Davis really most likely winds up the odd man out in this whole thing, as they won't be looking to book Davis/Evans II and by all accounts, Chael/Wand is the next matchup after he fights Evans. That basically leaves Hendo coming off the upcoming bout with Vitor, Jimmo/Manuwa and potentially Thiago Silva if he beats Hamill.

Goose vs lil nog sounds like the best match up to me. If Goose beats lil nog it sets him up for a rematch that the ufc can really hype up, and if lil nog wins it is a fresh opponent for Jones to face.

Moose could contend at 185, he'll never be a serious title challenger at 205. I love the guy, but LHW in the UFC is just too big and strong for him. I hope he doesn't waste any time at 205. He's not getting any younger and there are some great fights for him at 185.
    ROCK...CHALK...JAYHAWK

Thread Information