Thread: Ben Rothwell suspended by UFC, not commission, for elevated testosterone

1. Default Ben Rothwell suspended by UFC, not commission, for elevated testosterone

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/3...d-testosterone

In an unusual move, the UFC has moved to suspend a fighter for a positive test from a card that was under the supervision of an athletic commission. Ben Rothwell, who defeated Brandon Vera by TKO at UFC 164 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, has been handed a nine-month suspension for a positive test for elevated testosterone.

Rothwell released a statement to MMA Junkie explaining his side of things:

"Following my victory at UFC 164 I was informed I tested for an elevated level of testosterone. This came as a shock because I had applied for and was granted a TRT exemption and was doing so under the supervision of a doctor. I was tested every week for eight weeks prior to the fight and was well under the acceptable level each time.

I had applied for TRT after an endocrinologist and Wisconsin athletic doctors diagnosed me with hypogonadism. They felt it was caused by a car crash in 1999 that left me with severe head trauma and in a coma. Doctors told me TRT was something that could stop the hypogonadism from degrading my body.

After getting the news of the elevated test, I spoke with the Wisconsin Athletic Commission and they decided to give me an administrative warning. I was told they didn't think I tried to cheat, but felt some punishment was necessary.

I have now been informed the UFC has elected to suspend me for nine months. I am not going to fight the suspension as I feel ultimately it is my responsibility to make sure I stay under the acceptable limit. I am deeply sorry for this mistake and apologize to my fans, family and friends."
    It can be assumed that Rothwell's win over Vera will be flipped to a No Contest. If that does happen, it will be the second time that Brandon Vera would have a loss switched to a No Contest.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

2. 10-03-2013, 08:46 PM

He has been suffering for years from hypogonadism, now that they’ve finally found a way to fix it, he gets persecuted !!??
    The poor man, he just needs his juice “normal” testosterone levels.

Thread Information