Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UFC Trumps Wisconsin Commission, Suspends Ben Rothwell for Elevated Testosterone

Default UFC Trumps Wisconsin Commission, Suspends Ben Rothwell for Elevated Testosterone

UFC Trumps Wisconsin Commission, Suspends Ben Rothwell for Elevated Testosterone

Heavyweight Ben Rothwell today announced he is suspended for nine months for elevated levels of testosterone.

The suspension, however, was not handed down by the athletic commission that oversaw his most recent fight, but instead his promoter, the UFC.

In a statement released to MMAjunkie.com, Rothwell (33-9 MMA, 3-2 UFC) said he came back high for testosterone following his third-round TKO over Brandon Vera (12-7 MMA, 8-7 UFC) at UFC 164, which took place Aug. 31 at Milwaukee's Bradley Center.

Rothwell said the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, which oversaw the event, did not elect to suspend him, but rather issue an "administrative warning." Despite that warning, the UFC decided to bench him for nine months.

Rothwell explained the situation in his statement:

"Following my victory at UFC 164 I was informed I tested for an elevated level of testosterone. This came as a shock because I had applied for and was granted a TRT exemption and was doing so under the supervision of a doctor. I was tested every week for eight weeks prior to the fight and was well under the acceptable level each time.

"I had applied for TRT after an endocrinologist and Wisconsin athletic doctors diagnosed me with hypogonadism. They felt it was caused by a car crash in 1999 that left me with severe head trauma and in a coma. Doctors told me TRT was something that could stop the hypogonadism from degrading my body.

"After getting the news of the elevated test, I spoke with the Wisconsin Athletic Commission and they decided to give me an administrative warning. I was told they didn't think I tried to cheat, but felt some punishment was necessary.

"I have now been informed the UFC has elected to suspend me for nine months. I am not going to fight the suspension as I feel ultimately it is my responsibility to make sure I stay under the acceptable limit. I am deeply sorry for this mistake and apologize to my fans, family and friends."

Can't believe he used a car crash from 1999 as his excuse to get on TRT. I'm very curious why Zuffa decided to pull the trigger on a suspension when the athletic commission only issued a warning???

Because it's his hometown commission.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    Because it's his hometown commission.
    Interesting detail. I guess Zuffa wanted to be out in front of this story, assuming that eventually media would learn that he tested positive for elevated levels. But considering he had the TUE, you'd think their bases were covered. Wonder what his T:E ratio was--must have been something astronomical to warrant a company-issued suspension.

Poor Vera......can't catch a break from the roiders.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

6. 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM

Strange how such a large number of MMA fighters are rapidly being diagnosed with hypogonadism... it's an epidemic!!!!!!

My immediate and only reaction to this:

Default Ben Rothwell Suspended by UFC, Not commission, for Elevated Testosterone (Updated)

Ben Rothwell Suspended by UFC, Not commission, for Elevated Testosterone (Updated)

UFC heavyweight Ben Rothwell has been handed a nine-month suspension for a positive test for elevated testosterone. The suspension comes from the UFC itself, not the Wisconsin commission.

In an unusual move, the UFC has moved to suspend a fighter for a positive test from a card that was under the supervision of an athletic commission. Ben Rothwell, who defeated Brandon Vera by TKO at UFC 164 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, has been handed a nine-month suspension for a positive test for elevated testosterone.

Rothwell released a statement to MMA Junkie explaining his side of things:

"Following my victory at UFC 164 I was informed I tested for an elevated level of testosterone. This came as a shock because I had applied for and was granted a TRT exemption and was doing so under the supervision of a doctor. I was tested every week for eight weeks prior to the fight and was well under the acceptable level each time.

I had applied for TRT after an endocrinologist and Wisconsin athletic doctors diagnosed me with hypogonadism. They felt it was caused by a car crash in 1999 that left me with severe head trauma and in a coma. Doctors told me TRT was something that could stop the hypogonadism from degrading my body.

After getting the news of the elevated test, I spoke with the Wisconsin Athletic Commission and they decided to give me an administrative warning. I was told they didn't think I tried to cheat, but felt some punishment was necessary.

I have now been informed the UFC has elected to suspend me for nine months. I am not going to fight the suspension as I feel ultimately it is my responsibility to make sure I stay under the acceptable limit. I am deeply sorry for this mistake and apologize to my fans, family and friends."
    It can be assumed that Rothwell's win over Vera will be flipped to a No Contest. If that does happen, it will be the second time that Brandon Vera would have a loss switched to a No Contest.

UPDATE: According to Marc Ratner via Yahoo Sports, Rothwell wasn't suspended by the commission because they don't have the ability to do so:

"The state had never given out a TRT before and there was nothing in their administrative laws and statutes that allowed them to do more than write him a letter," said Ratner, the long-time former executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commission. "We always try to do the right thing everywhere. If he had had this result in Nevada, he'd have gotten a nine-month suspension, so we felt that was the appropriate thing to do in this case, to suspend him for nine months."
    They also don't have the ability to overturn the result, so Rothwell will keep his win.

So Rothwell gets caught cheating after a pretty visible and incredulous marked physical improvement over the past year or so through the TRT stuff, which seemed to defy normal logic with regard to the entire aging process and the UFC just suspends him?

IMO, what's the point in keeping him at all, if we know that he'll be coming back at a probably deflated version of himself without the "help"? I know the division is shallow as fuck, but it's not like he's moving the needle and I'm pretty sure he won't be coming back looking as good as he has recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Esox Express View Post
    Strange how such a large number of MMA fighters are rapidly being diagnosed with hypogonadism... it's an epidemic!!!!!!
    Yes, it's getting out of control. The problem is that the amount of training & physical stress these athletes go through causes a natural drop in T levels... same holds true for any extreme athlete that pushes limits (triathletes, ultrathon runners etc...). The body's hormonal balance is very much affected by physical stress.

Thread Information