Thread: Gustafsson Leaves Alliance Training Center

Default Gustafsson Leaves Alliance Training Center

Gustaffson Leaves Alliance Training Center

"It's time to come home"

After feat brawl - now moves "The Mauler" home

"COSTS TOO MUCH," Alexander Gustafsson no longer need to stay in the U.S. to train with the best.

Alexander Gustafsson is a boxer who went to San Diego to learn how to wrestle. Less than two weeks ago he wrestled down the world's best. Now he moves again.
    - It's time to come home, he says.

The loss against Phil Davis 2010 was a rude awakening for Alexander "The Mauler" Gustafsson. His wrestling could not compete with the best and he decided to join David Alliance Gym in San Diego. Three years later he became the first ever to wrestle champion Jon Jones in a match he subsequently lost through the verdict . And just like after last loss is the time to move.

- It's time to come home. Now I'm in that stage of my career that I will compete three or four times a year so I can not hold on and go off all the time. It costs too much and it takes too much time away from my family. It's simply not worth it.

It might as well get used to having the whole training camps here in Sweden and create the routine here. Now I am in a position that I can fly in the quality sparring I personally want, that I was not before. It will develop myself even more.

"Can fly in the quality sparring I myself want"

In three years, Gustafsson located their most intense training weeks, just before the match, at Alliance in San Diego. During that time, he has struggled against some of the best in the world, but also with an increasingly obvious homesickness.

- It's been hard, it has. Hard training every day and then be away from their loved ones take their toll. But at the same time it has given me focus, I might as well not shield it.

Can be against close friend

But there is another reason to "Alex" Now deselect Alliance in San Diego. His former slayer and now a close friend Phil Davis.

- We do not train with each other as much anymore. We belong to both the top and that's not a difficult guess that we'll meet again soon. It's not a dream opponent because we are friends but UFC decides that we should meet as we make it, so it feels better to not train together right now.
    *NOTE: Translated from Swedish

Bummer. You have to keep at it to maintain the skill. I think we may be surprised by how some gameplanning trumps his newly acquired wresting skills.

Goose would be a great addition to any camp. Would love to see him stay at Alliance though.

Didn't Davis say that he would not fight Alexander? I could be wrong......
    Last edited by Transworld; 10-04-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Usually this is not good.
    We have seen times where a fighter has been very succesful training in some place, then he decides to leave and join a new one, and the results then show that it was a very bad idea.

Hopefully it is not the case, but I think that in USA he would find much better training partners than in Sweden.
    If he wanted to stay in Europe, a better option would have been the Netherlands. The best kickboxers in the world train there. As for wrestling, Dagestan would be an option. Dagestani wrestlers are beasts.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

i'm not sure if this move will favour goose but I've a feeling ufc offered him vs. phil davis for the number one title shot, so, he ultimately decided to leave alliance training center.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Usually this is not good.
    We have seen times where a fighter has been very succesful training in some place, then he decides to leave and join a new one, and the results then show that it was a very bad idea.

Hopefully it is not the case, but I think that in USA he would find much better training partners than in Sweden.
    If he wanted to stay in Europe, a better option would have been the Netherlands. The best kickboxers in the world train there. As for wrestling, Dagestan would be an option. Dagestani wrestlers are beasts.
    Well he is not going to change gym completely, To my knowledge ge always trained in Stockholm but flew over to the Alliance gym a couple of weeks before the fight.
    Nope

Alliance coach: "Gustafsson has not left team"
    http://www.fightersonlymag.com/conte...not-left-teamq

“No that’s not true. I spoke to Coach Andreas today. There’s so much media out there right now and so much stuff gets misconstrued or interpreted the wrong way. Alex was here for eleven weeks, he was homesick and ready to go home [after the fight], settle back into his life. He’s been going 100%,” Del Fierro told Fighters Only today.

“People ask if he’s going to be doing camps in Sweden now. He’s already done camps in Sweden - his entire camp for Mousasi was done in Sweden. I had complete input into that camp via his head coach Andreas.

“It was news to me, I got woken up with that this morning - reporters saying ‘Hey, Alex is never coming back to Alliance’. But from what I know that’s not true at all. We’ll see. Depending where the fight is at he might do his whole camp in Sweden. And Coach Andreas is a phenomenal coach. But as far as I know its not true.”

“We don’t know what’s next for Alex. I was talking to Andreas for thirty minutes this morning and as far as he knows its not true either.”

“We don’t know what’s next for Alex. I was talking to Andreas for thirty minutes this morning and as far as he knows its not true either.”

Speaking of which I'm curious who they match him up with next at this point. Machida would have been my choice but he's committed elsewhere, Glover has a title shot and a rematch with Davis seems a little unlikely. Pretty much leaves Lil Nog and I'm underwhelmed by that one.

Thread Information