Thread: Cheick Kongo: Three fights and I can be champ

Default Cheick Kongo: Three fights and I can be champ

Cheick Kongo: Three fights and I can be champ
    http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/i...i-can-be-champ

“It feels different,” Kongo told ESPN.com. “I have complete confidence in what I’m going to bring to this new promotion. It’s a really good chance for me to show what I’ve got. Three fights and I can be the champion. That’s what pushes me.”

It’s obvious that Kongo (18-8-2) has no desire to publicly criticize the UFC’s treatment of him. Several former UFC fighters have done so in 2013, including Quinton Jackson and Tito Ortiz, both of whom also signed with Bellator.

Any divorce of a seven-year marriage, however, is likely to include some share of resentment. In Kongo’s case, it’s based around that UFC title shot that eluded him.

“I don’t want to look like someone who is (complaining),” Kongo said. “Of course, I wasn’t happy because I didn’t get the shot. I deserved to fight for the belt. It was always just keep fighting, keep fighting, keep fighting. I wasn’t really pushed or promoted as a challenger.”
    “I was injured when I fought Cain Velasquez,” Kongo said. “The UFC knew it but you know, everybody was excited about the fight. Nobody was asking me, ‘What’s going on? What happened?’ I’m not the guy to go scream, ‘Hey, this happened.’

“I took the fight and I lost. That’s it -- end of story. These guys come to you and say, ‘Yeah, come on. You’re supposed to be a fighter. Take the fight.’ You never know what to do because people go crazy. But I don’t want to blame somebody. In the end, I was the last one to make that decision.”

There were other instances, too. Kongo revealed he fought with a dislocated shoulder after a lackluster performance against Shawn Jordan and he says his left hand was broken heading into his most recent fight, a knockout loss to Roy Nelson.

All that is water under the bridge, though. One thing Kongo hasn’t lost through the ups and downs is his confidence -- and it’s unwavering heading into his Bellator debut.

He’s been pegged a 5-to-1 favorite over Godbeer in the heavyweight tournament semifinal. He’s promised everyone will see why when the fight starts.

“I think at this time, I don’t have anything to prove except to myself to be the best,” Kongo said. “And I am the best. That’s what I’m going to prove in this tournament. It’s not even about proving, it’s about showing. I have to show them.”

He knows how weak the HW division is in Bellator. Most fat brawlers there, he can definitely be champ as long as he stays away from wrestlers.

The operative word here is CAN

Is Neil Grove still in BFC? I must say I'd like to see that match. Actually I'm looking forward to seeing Kongo against less elite fighters. Good thing Konrad isn't there anymore. Kongo can win the championship, absolutely. Will he? Time will tell.
    FW-Hominick
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

HOSS-Bork, you should spend more time brushing up on your MMA history, and less time complementing guys on how young their penises taste.

Excuses excuses, shut up already.. Kongo never ever was close to a title shot in the UFC, how can he say he deserved to fight for the belt..

After the Cro Cop lack luster fight, he loses to Herring..After that a 3 fight win streak is the most he got, with wins over Mustapha Al Turk, Dan Evensen, and Antoni Hardonk, none of which were top 20 HW's. Then he lost 2 straight to a rising Cain and got embarrased by Frank Mir and choked out cold. Then he beats Buentello, decent win but still not even a top 20 HW. Browne was his only real name he has done anything against and he should have been DQ'd for cheating(Grabbing the shorts, over and over and over).. Then he beats Pat Barry with a crazy fluke punch in a fight he was getting PWN'ed and Barry left himself WIDE open.. Barry has never been a top HW, not close, and a Matt Mitrione win in a shit fight, big whoop.. He got KTFO by Hunt and Roy Nelson in 2 of his last 3......

Where do you see at any point justifying a Kongo Title Shot? If Roy Nelson, Travis Brown, Mark Hunt and Alistair Overeem hasn't gotten a shot, Kongo never should complain.. It really ticks me off how cocky and arrogant he has become, claiming he deserved to be fighting for the belt and deserved to be hyped as a Title Challenger.. Look at the dudes antics inside the ring, he is and has always been the dirtiest fighter in the sport, low blows, short grabbing, eye pokes, more low blows and shots to the back of the head.. His fights say it all..

I really used to be a fan of him up until the Frank Mir loss where he got messed up. Kongo knows he is a can and can't compete..He will never break the top 15 HW's ever again, regardless of how many no names he beats in Bellator......That Title litterally means nothing........
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

He shoulda gotten a title shot because...um...that one time he...well...he did win sometimes so if we don't count losses then there's that...
    USA! USA! USA!

well he can't in the best mma org. in the world so if he want's to settle for any tittle he is in the right spot.

Thread Information