Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Werdum: Overeem changed completely without PEDs

Default Werdum: Overeem changed completely without PEDs

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news...-without-PEDs/

Overeem fights Frank Mir at UFC 169 on Superbowl weekend. In an interview with MMAFighting's Guilherme Cruz, Fabricio Werdum, who lost a one-sided unanimous decision to Overeem in 2011, pulled no punches in saying why he thinks Overeem has faltered lately.

"He lacks a little bit in gas because of his steroids," said Werdum. "He changes a lot if you take his juice off. Everybody saw what happened. Overeem is one fighter with his juice, but he changes completely without the juice. They took his powers."

"Let’s see how he does against Frank Mir, if he changed his strategy or training. Frank Mir is not doing well recently too, but I believe Overeem will defend the takedowns and knock him out. Overeem is a good fighter, but let’s how he does without his juice."

"I don’t like Overeem very much. Not because of the fact that we fought, but I think he’s too cocky. But he’s a good fighter, a strong guy, a good striker. I respect him for everything he has done in MMA and K-1."

Overeems gas tank sucks period. He still hasn't gotten dominated in his fights, just fades and finds a way to lose. Werdum is still butthurt he didn't win the rematch flopping on his back begging overeem to jump in his guard because he lacked the skill to take him down. I can't wait till jds knocks him out again or Cain mauls him, that's if he gets his shot. Fights against Russow, Nelson, and Nog shouldn't give him a shot imo.

Ever sinve his sub of Fedor I feel he gets overpraised, he's a good fighter but he's still not beat anybody to garner a shot or so much praise.

Nog, Nelson, fedor and Bigfoot.....that's a solid set of wins my friend.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

Werdum beats an un-roided AO 8 times out of 10.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

4 out of 5. Tops.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJack View Post
    Nog, Nelson, fedor and Bigfoot.....that's a solid set of wins my friend.
    Fedor and Bigfoot were years ago and not even in the ufc tho. Give him Barnett/Mir winner, I'd even be interested in giving Miocic a bump in competition and have him face Werdum.

As far as Werdum/Overeem 3, I think it'd be more of the same with nobody doing much. If Werdum actually tried opening up striking Overeem puts him out before he gasses.

Overeem has never had a good gas tank. He's been gassing in fights years before he got huge. Doesn't change the fact that he uses steroids. Just important to know that he's gassed a lot over the years. Hell, I remember him gassing against Chuck in their short fight, and that was about 9-10 years ago at this point.

Overeem's less than stellar/inconsistent cardio is well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    Werdum beats an un-roided AO 8 times out of 10.

rh
    I expect you to simplify Rivet

Well Overeem was absolutely dominating both BigFoot and Browne, but he got overconfident and he has had always a very weak chin. Roids or no roids, his chin has been shit his whole life.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

I wouldn't say he completely changed he fought cocky before and after he got caught only difference is he oaid the price for being over confident and got knocked out in his last two fights. that being said, despite losing to brown and silva, I think AO has the ability to beat anyone in the division however I also feel that he is capable of losing to anyone in the division the way he has been fighting lately.

I believe that the effect of the time off after the suspension for elevated T levels induced some ring rust. The scrutiny by the media and fans also had some significantly adverse effects on his last two training camps. This is not to make excuses, simply to state some possible reasons for Overeem's decline. MMA fans are very fickle and Overeem's cockiness and brashness could be a defense mechanism developed over time to deal with all the scrutiny that comes with being a public figure.

Were Overeem to develop a more grounded and modest approach to fighting and publicity it would help him drastically. Such is how Overeem does well when fights are in his favor, yet flounders when they are not; this is something BJ Penn has been accused of in the past as well. Cockiness can also be attributed to mental weakness as it does not allow one to properly view reality when challenges arise.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 10-07-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Thread Information