Thread: Rousimar Palhares ready for fresh start at welterweight

Default Rousimar Palhares ready for fresh start at welterweight

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/10/6...t-welterweight

"I've suffered a lot," Palhares told MMAFighting.com. "But the greater the sacrifice, the greater the reward. Thatís how I think."

"Toquinho" was always short for a middleweight, but he had to completely change his diet to drop from his usual walkaround weight of 215 pounds to the neighborhood of 189, making it easier to cut down to 170.

"I feel better than I expected at 170," he said. "I did a 20-minute fight in the gym one day after I cut down to 170 and did great. Iíve changed everything in my diet. I can eat everything but carbohydrates and sugar. It was tough, man. I loved to eat meat, french fries, chocolate and ice cream, but thatís okay."

Palhares went 7-4 in the UFC as a middleweight, and for a little while his name was hovering around contender status, but he tested positive for elevated testosterone levels following his loss to Lombard last December. That all belongs to his previous chapters, he says.

"Those things are in the past," he said. "I just look to the future now. It feels great to be back. This is a whole new start for my career, and I feel ready."

Palhares, who hails from Minas Gerais, guarantees the weight cut wonít be a problem, and neither will his frame of mind be. His former coach Murilo Bustamante has said many times in the past he wanted Palhares to talk to a psychologist for some past issues, but the UFC fighter believes it's not necessary.

"We needed that because we had some problems at Brazilian Top Team, which I wonít mention here, and we spoke with a psychologist -- but I believe that we are our own psychologists," he said. "Psychology is training. We need to focus on this all day long. I donít need to think about other things besides fighting. My psychologist is God."

Palhares says he's thankful for everything Brazilian Top Team has done for him in the past, but felt it was time to move on because he "wasnít evolving anymore." Team Nogueira felt like a natural fit since he has trained in the past with the Nogueira brothers at BTT. Now he works with them in rolling out the new "Toquinho" at UFN 29.

"Iím working a lot on my striking game," he said. "Iím a different fighter now. Iím training with Erivan Conceicao, one of the best boxing coaches in the world, and heís working a lot on my striking game. Iím very confident."

Seven of Palhares' 14 victories have come via leg locks or heel hooks, but, as his game evolves, he says that doesn't mean he's a one-trick pony.

"Anything can happen," he said. "I have many other submissions, I just haven't had the opportunity to show them yet. I havenít showed many things from my arsenal. You canít think that I only have the heel hook, but Iím really good at it and people worry more about that. If my opponent doesnít want to go to the ground because he doesnít want me to attack his foot, he will train that a lot and maybe he doesnít pay attention to other things."

Mike Pierce is quietly 9-3 in the UFC, and he'll bring a four-fight winning streak with him to Brazil when he steps in against Palhares. But, having done his homework on Pierce, Palhares says he knows what to expect against the wrestler.

"He likes to work on the clinch, closer to the fence, and sometimes he goes for a takedown," Palhares said. "Many people believe he wonít try to take me down, but Iím training for everything. Iím working on things that have to be worked on. Iím letting my sparring partners work on the fence so I have to defend myself. I like to work this way so Iím forced to evolve."

I am strongly pulling for Pierce in this fight. I think he has the strength to keep his game going even if it is against the cage in a clinch. Robin Black talked about this fight on the Fight Network and had some neat comments mostly regarding the fighters' statures.

Gooo Pierce!
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

The best thing about this is we may see Maia and Palhares go at it!

I've been pulling for Pierce; I'm a big fan of his and I've been disappointed with Toquinho's attitude and unsportman-like behavior. That said, this interview is shockingly coherent, put together, and thoughtful. I really hope he's gotten his life together and can compete without issue. He's an interesting and talented guy.

God's not a psychologist. If anything, he's a voyeur.

Haven't been a fan of his in cage shenanigans, but I'm interested to see how he does at ww. Once you get passed the middle of the pact contenders, the ww division is a damn tough one to compete in.

Thread Information